Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Huskermat.com Announcements    Westside Wrestling Club Tournament

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Westside Wrestling Club Tournament Login/Join

Rookie
posted
I was just curious about this event and would love to hear from some of you who have attended in the past. My big questions is how full the high school division brackets typically are (the folkstyle portion of the tournament). I really don't want to travel if there are only a handful of kids in each weight class. Any help would be appreciated. Also, is it a well run tournament? When do they typically get done that day?

Rookie
posted Hide Post
usually a great tourney - high school through youth!

Rookie
posted Hide Post
All in all, it's OK, I'll send my son again this year because there was great + tough brackets to wrestle (He was at 112). Not sure what weight is your son, but chances are you'll find good competition.

The only 2 areas that hopefully work smoother this year are: the amount of table workers needed in-place for the HS matches, and fact that last year they had some high school kids wrestling in half-mats towards the end (my son was not a happy cowboy with this one, as the line was very arbitrary).

I understand that these "bugs" have been worked out for this 2009 round. popcorn
Hoaah!
AB

Posts: 139 | Registered: September 09, 2008Report This Post
Rookie
posted Hide Post
The Westside Tournament has always been a little more of a quality over quantity type of tournament.

Pictures of the previous Outstanding Wrestlers are displayed, and include NCAA Champions and Olympic medalists Tom and Terry Brands. Story has it that at this tournament Tom Brands wrestled a solid Nebraska wrestler, and during a scramble, received a crossface that was more like a roundhouse right. The crossface generated a big grin from Brands, and he went on to dominate the match.

I believe Brett Allgood and Todd Meneely wrestled at this tournament a number of years ago and those guys should end up with 8 high school state championships and six collegiate national titles between them. They were former teamates at Westside Wrestling Club.

Posts: 90 | Location: Omaha | Registered: December 04, 2005Report This Post
Rookie
posted Hide Post
I've always found this to be a great off season tournament. When i wrestled in this I wrestled at this tourny there was a round robin between 2 returning state medalist and 2 returning qualifiers.

Posts: 101 | Registered: December 27, 2005Report This Post
Rookie
posted Hide Post
how can i sign up

Posts: 22 | Location: MW | Registered: February 27, 2009Report This Post
Junior Varsity
Picture of 4Huskers
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buschleague:
how can i sign up

Go to this web site: Westside Wrestling and click on Online Tournament Sign Up.

Posts: 716 | Registered: December 05, 2003Report This Post
Junior High
Picture of Vader
posted Hide Post
Are Friday night's weigh-ins at the UNO Fieldhouse?

Posts: 433 | Location: Bellevue | Registered: November 21, 2002Report This Post

posted Hide Post
Moved all information to the "Tournaments sticky" at the top of the board.

Click here to go to the thread.

-----------------
Photobucket

"A PEOPLE THAT VALUES ITS PRIVILEGES OVER ITS PRINCIPLES, SOON LOSES BOTH"

EISENHOWER

Posts: 6303 | Location: Good Ole USA | Registered: October 24, 2002Report This Post