Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    Ridiculous Weight Management Stories
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Ridiculous Weight Management Stories Login/Join

posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
How about a 112 pounder who weighs less than 104 that has to run to make weight?

-----------------
Photobucket

"A PEOPLE THAT VALUES ITS PRIVILEGES OVER ITS PRINCIPLES, SOON LOSES BOTH"

EISENHOWER
Junior Varsity
Picture of Radio Man
Our State Champion 98 pounder at Chadron back in 1982, Dan Littrel, was so small, he had to eat and drink quite a lot prior to weigh-ins to to make the minimum weight his first 2 or 3 years. I don't think he had to do it his Senior year when he won state though.
NCAA All American
Picture of chiefMTstorm
I don't believe there is a minimum any more.

I do however remember an Aude boy from Hebron in 2000 or something, drinking over a gallon of water to make weight at districts for the heavyweight division. He made it during weight check, but threw up as he was getting his nails and skin checked right before his weight class was called. Needless to say, he didn't make weight.

Rick Henry

Junior Varsity
That's funny. Back in 89-90, our 98lber. (I think that's what it was) had the same thing happen. I believe the minimum he had to weight was 93. Drank, Drank, and Drank water. Stood in the shower to get soaking wet, then as he stepped on the scale, threw up and missed weight. He had to start all over again, but this time, stuffed a roll of quarters in his jock so he could make the minimum!
Rookie
My "little" (I should say "younger") brother had to wrestle 189 at a dual Friday weighing 160 b/c his descent plan said he could only weigh 161 and he couldn't beat our 71 guy. The next day b/c of the extra pound he wrestled 160 weighing 158.
Rookie
Oh the running! Our 189 weighed in for the Bennington tournament WAY back in the day at a quarter pound over. We didn't have digital scales back then. Coach told him to go run for 30 minutes and come back and try again.

He came back and weighed a pound and a half over at the close of weigh ins.

"But coach, I was thirsty!"

How about a kid who has weighed in at less than 170 twice but hasn't "officially" made scratch weight at 171?

-----------------
Photobucket

EISENHOWER
NCAA All American
Picture of chiefMTstorm
I don't get it Rocker. Help me out. If he weighs in at 169.5 before christmas but is ahead of his descent plan, he still has to make 171 after xmas? I thought you had to make scratch weight once before xmas to receive the two pounds. Let me know what you've been told and I'll do some checking as well....

Rick Henry

That is correct.

When he made 169.6, according to the "plan" he was not "eligible" to wrestle at 171 so it cannot count as making scratch weight. Just clarified this with Mr. Boysen.

Another in the long line of ridiculous weight management stories.

-----------------
Photobucket

EISENHOWER
Novice
Here's one.
Descent plan says he can wrestle at 160 on Sat. but not yet on Thursday. Plan says he must weigh 160.1 Thursday. Great teammate at 171 so this kid wrestles 189 until he's down to weight (160).
However, he weighs 160 or less on Thursday, still can't wrestle at 160 because the plan says he can't. However, since he doesn't weigh over 160 he can't wrestle 189, can't beat the 171, has to sit out the meet.
Rookie
bdoggy, I think I know who you might be talking about!!! Some of these stories are absurd
Novice
My son had a weight descent that said he could weigh-in at 125.02. So he had to wrestle up along with 5 other kids on the team that were in a similar situation. The scales don't even weigh to the nearest 1/100th of a pound. I would think something like that would allow for rounding down.
NCAA All American
Picture of chiefMTstorm
I just received a fax from Boysen stating:
"Wrestlers who have made the scratch weight at the lowest weight class they intend to wrestle for the remainder of the season will receive the growth allowance starting December 25th."

At the bottom it then states:
"Be sure to do this ONLY after a wrestler has made scratch weight at the LOWEST weight class at which he intends to compete WHEN ELIGIBLE to do so."

Slightly contradictory. AND in my opinion.........A large pile of BIOMASS!

I'll have to be very careful when I tell my heavyweight who weighs 213 and becomes my 215lber on xmas day, that he needs to make 215 on January 3rd when he'll probably weigh 220 that morning after all the holiday buffets! I don't like it and I'm sure he won't either. I thought making scratch weight would count as long as you could prove you made scratch weight. I even had my 171/160lber make 159.9 last night even though his descent plan said he should weigh 160.57, that way if he got hurt between now and Friday, he would get his two pounds over xmas. So much for me thinking...........

Rick Henry

Another year, another bunch of stories.

I'll start.

We have a kid whose plan says the lowest he can weigh Saturday is 189.01.

Guess what, he's gotta wrestle 215.

Wasn't aware there were any scales used at weigh-ins that went to hundredths of a pound.....

Does anybody else see the possibility of a lawsuit in these things?

-----------------
Photobucket

EISENHOWER
Rookie
Here are 2 "back in the day" stories.

During the 89-90 season Cole Hilker (currently head cross country coach at O'Neill) was a senior weighing 157 pounds. He could not beat anyone from 140 through 171. Against my wishes he cut down to 135 but I refused to let him compete because he looked and wrestled like crap. I suggested he try 189. From then on he had to drink over 3 pounds of water before every weigh in to weigh over 160. He was a state qualifier that year.

During that same year another wrestler, Joe Kent was 2 1/2 pounds over at weigh in. After standing on his head for over a minute and wobbling to the scale he was a half pound under. I swear on this because I laughed when he said he was going to try it. I did not believe it could be done.