Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    Best wrestler in class D
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Poll
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Best wrestler in class D Login/Join

Rookie
posted   Report This Post  

Question:
Who is the best class D wrestler overall of these kids

Choices:
Adam Kars
Luke Coufal
Swedeburg (Axtell)
Ethan Kars
Grady Meents

Varsity Letterman
Picture of LCmatgurl
MSN does not support status - click here for the profile.
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
i think you need to put Robert Eklund right up there before any of those.

One Team, Can't Be Beat, Won't Be Beat. 2/21/09
Rookie
i'll go with eklund. It's tough to go a whole year without anyone scoring on you. That, plus the fact that he's a JUNIOR this year puts him at the top.
Rookie
I know those arent the best wrestlers but i just named a few that came to my head right away but I agree Eukland is really good
NCAA All American
Picture of chiefMTstorm
I agree that Eklund is the best, but I also would like to mention that maybe the best heavyweight in the state is a class D wrestler: Bergan Heavyweight TE!

Rick Henry

Rookie
Picture of Big Pounder
Chiefstorm,
Is Yutan still looking for meets to enter for next year? If so, shoot me an e-mail at yosten_44@hotmail.com.

Coach Yosten

Walk the Line.
Rookie
quote:
Originally posted by LCmatgurl:
i think you need to put Robert Eklund right up there before any of those.

word.
Heck of a good article on him yesterday in the herald.
Rookie
Picture of Loper
I also agree that these are some good wrestlers, but how can you leave out the likes of:
Joey Koch - Thayer Central
Anthony Luongo - Thayer Central
Andrew Daro - Aquinas
Taylor Escimilla - Fremont Bergan
Levi Melcher - Lindsay holy Family
Travis Kuhn - High Plains Community
Chad Brester - Howells
Michael Bazata - Howells
Patrick Fletcher - Shelton

"Show me a man that is thoroughly satisfied and I'll show you a failure."
Rookie
Picture of harw
what about bayer from howells??he's right up there with bazata
Rookie
Can someone post the website of Robert Eklund's article? I'd like to read/see it please..
Rookie
I think that Robert is probably one of the top three in the whole state... i have watched him wrestle many times and that kid just dominates his opponents... its not very often that u see a kid go a whole year let alone 30+ matches without getting scored on... but he only has one week left... lets see if he can finish strong good luck little man...
Rookie
Picture of Loper
There will be 896 wrestlers stepping onto the Qwest Center Omaha mats for the start of the state tournament Thursday.

Robert Eklund

Each has his own unique story and his own tale of success.

But of all the wrestlers who strap on headgear this week, it would be difficult to find any who can match the type of success Friend High School junior Robert Eklund has achieved this season.

The returning Class D state champion and top-ranked 125-pounder not only boasts a 65-match winning streak.

He has not allowed a point this season. Not an escape. Not a penalty point. Nothing.

"What Robert's done is absolutely amazing," Friend coach Bob Arehart said. "He's just dominated everybody. He takes guys down and then just punishes them. He's very tough, very hard-nosed and very aggressive."

Early in the year, Eklund's coaches instructed him on several occasions to turn a wrestler loose for an escape in order to gain a takedown. But he elected to keep his foe down on the mat.

"We don't ask him to do that anymore," Arehart said with a laugh. "You can't argue with what Robert has done. It's pretty impressive."

Eklund placed third at state at 103 as a freshman before capturing the state title at 119 last year. He is 32-0 this year with 19 pins, eight technical falls, three major decisions and two wins by forfeit.

Eklund's closest match was a 9-0 major decision win over Class C No. 2 Rob McMickell of Hastings St. Cecilia.

He pinned all four opponents at districts on Saturday.

"I set a goal before the season of not letting anybody score on me," Eklund said. "There's pressure on me to win it again, and some people think it's easy for me. But I work real hard and don't take anybody I wrestle lightly."

Eklund, whose father, Eldon, wrestled for York High School, is ranked in the top five academically in his class and hopes to become a doctor. He also hopes to wrestle in college.

"Robert is just an outstanding young man," Arehart said. "He's very humble. He's a very good wrestler, but he doesn't flaunt it at all. He's definitely a class act all the way."

Columbia, Navy, Army and Augustana are among the schools already showing interest in the junior.

Eklund has wrestled all over the country during the spring and summer.

"That experience has helped me a lot," he said. "I'm always looking for an edge and a way to get better."

Eklund's coach said his star pupil is not the same wrestler he was as a sophomore.

"I think Robert is 10 times better," Arehart said. "He's not afraid of tough competition, and that's really helped him. He's so slick and so hard to stop. He's like a little mosquito that goes behind you before you ever know it."

Rookie
Picture of Loper
that is the article from the omaha world herald website

Novice
1345..... i take it your from FRANKLIN!!!!!
Rookie
Picture of monkeysuncle
wfl_30 did you find the tickets that you needed?
Novice
NO .... selling any?
Rookie
Picture of ex_aquinas_wrestler
that is awsome that Eklund never give up a point to anybody the whole season. Good at state Eklund and win other title.
Rookie
I know that all those wrestlers are not the best i just said out of these wrestlers which is the best and i just named a few
Rookie
Picture of Boone
Taylor Escamilla made state look easy. 4 early pins. And didn,t break a sweat.
State Qualifier
Scott Bayer, 215lbs, Howells, is ranked 2nd in the NATION by Intermat and WIN. He is going to the Dapper Dan All-Star dual in Pennsylvania. I think he is the best in Class D this year.