Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    River City Conference Duals
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
River City Conference Duals Login/Join

Junior High
Picture of green goblin
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
I can speak a bit to the Gross wrestling team as my son has wrestled for them for 3 years now.

The first issue was that there have been very few wrestlers in the Gross youth program in 8th grade class the last 2 years. So ... there just have been very little new blood. Right now there is something like 7 varsity wrestlers. 1 Freshman starter and I think no sophmores at all starting.

So ... if you don't have people going out for the sport, you have problems.

The Gross youth club now has some wrestlers coming through the program who should do well at the HS level ... hopefully a lot of them come to Gross.

Gross is on their 3rd head coach in 4 years; Chris Blair to TJ Brummels to Johnny Galloway. I like what Johnny is doing with the program; and I think good things can come in the future for the Gross program with Johnny Galloway. If they can get some people to go out for wrestling. Smile

If you really pay attention to the scores at the RCC; you see Gross with half the team open ... was scoring a lot of points on everyone else but Skutt. The wrestlers in the program are doing fine; it's just that there aren't many of them.

Watch the Gross wrestlers at the B-2 district; they tend to be entertaining (in my opinion). They wrestle an agressive style that I think is fun to watch.
World Champion
Picture of NWI
GG...I saw some of Gross' matches at Papio and they are a pretty salty bunch. Kind of hard to be competitive in duals when you're spotting teams 30-36-42 points in forfeits.

The question I have with the program is the sudden turnover in coaching. It's hard to build a program when the person at the top keeps changing. I hope JG can stay on and develop the program and get Gross back to where it's fielding full squads and giving Skutt and the rest of B a run for the money.

Looking forward to seeing them this weekend in G-Town.

"Energy Flows Where Attention Goes" -- James Arthur Ray
Novice
I'm a Skutt fan and think they have a great program. But it's always so much better when you have rivalrys like Skutt and Gross used to have when the gym was filled to capacity with electricity in the air. Strong competition makes for better wrestling teams all around. I look forward to Gross having a great wrestling team. I can remember when Gross was the cream of the metro for a few years.