Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
DQed Login/Join

Rookie
posted   Report This Post  
I see in the results of the Bergan duals that Perrigo from Ft. Calhoun was DQed. Doesnt that mean he has to sit out the next event? So he is done for the year?
Junior High
Picture of Vegas Kid
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Not if it was a DQ for an illegal hold and the person could not continue or penalty chart DQ
Rookie
Being DQ and being thrown out are two different things. He could have been DQed for slamming and his opponent didn't get up, or he could have locked hands to many times, or used up all of blood time. If these were the case then he would be able to return in the same meet and should be fine for next week. Now say he was DQed for biting or hitting or arguing with the ref and was thrown out of the tournament then yes he would have to sit out of the next competition and would be done.
I do not no the situation in which you are talking about just providing some clarification.

Jarod Owens
Rookie
I don't believe he will be wrestling this week.
Rookie
I dont know what happend I just saw the results. It looks like he did not wrestle the rest of the dual tournament so he must have been thrown out of the tournament.
Novice
He was called for flagrant misconduct.

Coach Aschoff
Rookie
Picture of abcoach
He was run for flagrant misconduct, but it was a dual tournament, and Ft. Calhoun still had two remaining duals at the time. Since he sat out of those duals, he has served his suspension and is able to participate at districts.
Junior Varsity
Unfortunately, that is not the case. If it was a dual tourney, it is for the remainder of that tourney, and the next. Individual duals don't count if part of a dual tourney.
Novice
I feel bad but yet I am sure he did something stupid.
Junior Varsity
Only reason I know is I've had that happen to a kid. Was told by NSAA that he had to sit out the next tourney because a dual tournament, while you may wrestle 4-5 individual duals, is still 1 tourney as is posted on your schedule with NSAA. So he has to sit the next one also, in this case, districts. Only way around it would be if you had all the duals in that tourney listed individually on your NSAA schedule, which we know is impossible, since you wouldn't know ahead of time which teams you were dualling.
Rookie
Picture of FCfan
He is allowed to wrestle districts, they called the NSAA and they said each dual counts as an individual meet.
Rookie
First a disclaimer. I was not at this meet and do not know what happened. I don’t know what the actual format of the tournament was and I don’t know the wrestler in question or have anything against him or his team. My post is only based on what people have already written here. Having said all that: IF everything that has been posted here is true (which I realize may be a big IF) and IF the NSAA actually said that each dual in this particular contest counts as an individual meet, this is nothing short of unbelievable !!! I wonder what they would have said if this was not district week and I wonder if they have looked at Ft. Calhoun’s schedule because IF each of these duals are considered an individual meet as FCfan states, then this team is over it’s competition points limit for the season (along with Fullerton, Bergan, and Lutheran High). IF each dual is considered an individual meet, then this event cost the teams involved four competition points which by my math puts them all one over the 30 point maximum. Perhaps Ft. Calhoun and the other teams involved dropped one of their other duals listed on their NSAA schedule, I don’t know. What I do know is that this all seems a little fishy and the smell leads right to the doorsteps of the state association.

Here’s my take and again I hope everyone understands that my beef here is with the NSAA not Ft. Calhoun or this wrestler. Also understand that my opinion in regards to this situation is nothing more than conjecture based on past decisions made by our state’s activities association. First, I do not believe that each dual in this meet was counted as an individual competition on the teams’ 30 point schedules. I’m betting it was counted as three points which is what it costs a team to compete in a normal one-day tournament (either dual or conventional). That would mean that this event, by the NSAA’s own definition, was a single event, not four separate events. Second, I do not believe that a phone call would have ever been made to the state had this situation not happened when it did (the week before districts). If this had happened in the middle of the season, I have no doubt that the wrestler in question would have simply missed the next event on the team’s schedule. Finally, this is a perfect example of how the NSAA can change it’s mind on a whim and how a lot of their rulings are based on anything but fairness. I don’t care whether the kid wrestles at districts or not. I don’t care if the team has 20 competition points or 120. I don’t care whether it was a dual tournament or four duals. What I care about is that ALL teams and ALL individuals involved in this great sport are treated fairly at ALL times by our state association. What I care about is the message this decision sends and the total disregard that the NSAA appears to have for the rules that they make but expect only some schools, at certain times to follow. My concern is only with fairness.

I hope that most of what has been written by others in this post is not true. I hope that the wrestler in question was not disqualified because of something flagrant that, by the rules all teams are expected to follow, would mean he has to sit out districts. But most of all, I hope that if he did do something flagrant, that the NSAA didn’t actually rule on this situation the way FCfan says they did. If all of my “hopes” in this last paragraph actually turn out to be “facts”, then this post has been a colossal waist of time and I apologize profusely. If, on the other hand, everything that has been written is true . . . I guess I’m in absolute awe !! If I were “Eagle1” and the NSAA had given me a different interpretation of the same rule earlier in the season as he says they did, I would be way beyond livid.
Rookie
It’s unfortunate the Calhoun coach didn’t know how the state would choose to enforce the rule. If he had, by their interpretation, his wrestler could have competed in the last dual of the day even though he was disqualified. Provided, of course, that any of this really happened the way it’s been reported.
Junior Varsity
This didn't happen to us this year, but in the past, actually last year. And yes I am livid, with NSAA. Not Fort Calhoun, if they can get the kid to wrestle districts, more power to them, if he was mine, I'd certainly try too.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Eagle1,
Novice
Eagle 1 and Frank,

To give you some of the facts. Yes he was toss for flagrant misconduct and yes this was a dual invite that cost us and all the teams involved 3 points on our schedules.

I also believe that the NSAA is inconsistant in its enforcement fo rules. I too don't have any opinion specific to the FtC kid. Just some questions with the rules and how they get interpreted.
Rookie
Lets play a game. I’m going to give you the barest of clues and you try and tell me what all these things have in common:

1996 – Class C – 135 pounds
2001 – district tournaments (state wide)
2003 – Class A – 103 pounds
2004 – Class D – state weigh-ins
Rookie
All instances where the NSAA changed rules set in the NSAA Manual I am assuming (we all know what happens when you assume. I know in 2001 they allowed districts to go on one day but still enforced the match limit, and in 2004 they allowed a team to weigh in late on finals day at the state tournament. but here is something I found looking through the rule book.

2.11.5 Investigation. Prior to the assessment of any penalty, the Executive Director will gather data in order to establish intent,
fault, and the effect an ineligible participant had on any interschool contest. These factors shall be weighed in determining the
severity of the penalty assessed. The Executive Director's decision may be appealed to the Board of Control.

I'm not saying he should or shouldn't wrestle just some data I found

Jarod Owens
Rookie
Something else I found
3.11.12.3 Team Match Limitation:
(a) No team representing a member school may participate in more than sixteen wrestling meets and tournaments in
addition to the district and state tournaments.
(b) No team may exceed thirty competition points prior to the district and state tournaments. Competition points are
assigned according to the following chart.
(1) Dual meets-1 Point
(2) Triangular meets (double-duals)-2 Points
(3) Quadrangular meets (triple-duals)-3 Points
(4) Four-team tournaments-2 Points
(5) One-day tournaments of more than four teams-3 Points
(6) Two- or three-day tournaments-4 Points
Rookie
This issue is really starting to upset me. I am so sick of the NSAA picking and choosing who gets punished and who doesn't. If a rule is broken, then you MUST follow the rules and serve the suspension. Anybody who has had to serve a suspension due to an ejection (myself included) should be up in arms about a wrestler being allowed to wrestle the week after an ejection. it is pathetic that we make exceptions to rules based on who the kid is. Also, I do not know the situation or the people involved, but if he WAS ejected, then he needs to serve the suspension!!

"I firmly believe that any mans finest hour is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle victorious."
Novice
I have nothing against anyone involved. So I don't want this to feel as an attack on the wrestler or the school.

The rule is clear no wrestler is to compete the following meet after they have been ejected due to flagrant misconduct. I had my first wrestler in 14 years get DQed for swearing on the mat this season. It is very unusual for this particular wrestler to swear. We used that as a learning experience for our team. We talked that thank God it wasn't the week before districts because that would mean that my wrestler would have to sit out of districts and state. Every year I talk to my wrestlers about that very thing, so as not to make a silly mistake.

If a wrestler gets DQed for flagrant misconduct then they sit out their next weigh-in. Not the next dual in a dual tournament. Everybody knows that rule. The NSAA had better start following the rules or they are going to be challenged on every thing they try to enforce.

On another note, the same night that my wrestler was DQed for swearing. The wrestlers went to our home basketball game and one of our basketball players got a technical for swear and the other team missed both free throws and the game went on. Maybe there should be more rules across the board. In football, usually if anything is called it would be a 15yard penalty.