Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    Klingsheim says "see ya"

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Klingsheim says "see ya" Login/Join

Rookie
posted   Report This Post  
Novice
Picture of Gocke_Dojo
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Big 12 champ that gets his scholarship cut to make room for Caldwell who is on scholarship even though he'll probably Olympic redshirt and redshirt ( not wrestle for 2 years) another young improving kid that manning doesn't keep

Curtis Gocke
Asst. Coach Plattsmouth High School
USA Nebraska Secretary/Treasurer
Junior High
Picture of Red Sox
Who steps in at 125 now?

Chad Mattox
Novice
Picture of Gocke_Dojo
Nagel?

Hopefully Gilman in 2012, Cory Clark verbals to Iowa today so maybe Manning can grab Gilman

Curtis Gocke
Novice
Picture of phatjo23
I really really doubt Gilman is coming to UNL. I think he is going elsewhere. As for David and the scholarship cut and leaving and what not, I think there is more to the story than that. Last summer it was reported that he weighed A LOT more than where he should have been and that was the reason that he was 125 for only part of the year.

That my friends is unacceptable. If he needs to go up a weight, so be it, but just losing control and not taking care of yourself, that isn't good either.

Now, I did not witness this, but heard it over and over last summer.
Rookie
Shawn Nagel stayed in Lincoln this summer and has been working out everyday. He also was one of 8 or so guys that Manning took with him to train at the Olympic training center for the next 2 weeks. Shawn also wrestled Gilman at a camp he helped with and handled his own.
State Champion
Picture of deano
well I personally would rather have a kid on scholly who isn't going to compete on the D1 level for two years who is a sure fire top three the next two after that......Nagel will do fine and I sure hope Gilman picks NU...might help some of the in state distain for him....whether it is warranted or not, just my 2
Novice
Picture of Gocke_Dojo
Phat-- at clinic this year Ersland talked amout kids being allowed + 15% their weight in the off-season which would be about 143 lbs for him ...seems to be kenny jordan and a few others had problems with weight also and then let go understanding kenny last strike was not a weight issue but he did wrestle 141-149 at Adams state this year...are they recruiting kids that can't keep the weight not done growing etc? Seems to be a lot of time and effort on kids that don't finish their 5 years with us.

Curtis Gocke
Junior High
Picture of Red Sox
I see both of your points Curtis and P.J......... The frustrating thing is that we know UNL can turn out top notch wrestlers but it never seems like we have more than 1-3 seniors each year. Is that common around D1 wrestling? I have to believe it can't be the norm, or maybe I'm wrong.....Lets hope Gilman comes to UNL and the 125 problem is solved.....

Chad Mattox
Novice
Picture of phatjo23
Gocke, not sure what is going on totally, but I am aggrivated by it as well. Mattox, it frustrates me that we can't have more than 2 or three seniors each year. Is it burn out? I don't know. One thing I do know is that you need more than 2 or 3 seniors to compete for a national title.
Rookie
Klingsheim at times last year was cutting so much weight that he couldnt stand. Very unpredictable about weight. Nagel isnt quite at the D1 level yet, i think that if his weight is down possible we could see Keith Surber taking the reigns at 125 until Nagel gets a few more matches under his belt. Either way UNL will struggle at 125 unless somehow they can score Gilman. He seems Iowa bound though
Rookie
They have not been able to keep a light weight in years. From what I hear they are making the lighter weights cut more weight than the bigger guys. Some of the guys that came and went Vacanti, Pokorny, Napier, and Klingsheim. All these guys were potential all americans if they didnt drive them away.
Junior High
To be fair, I thought Vacanti leaving was due more to academics then weight cutting, could be completely off base on that one though. I wonder if the rate of attrition is simply higher at lower weights across the board (i.e. lots of schools have the same problem).
Novice
Picture of ArmBar
I'm thinking he'll fit right into the Wolfpack lineup at either 125 or 133. He'll also have a good lightweight coach in Lee Pritts. His biggest obstacle to making the NCAA's at 133 is Devin Carter from Virginia Tech.