Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    Thinking, praying and hoping for you...

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Thinking, praying and hoping for you... Login/Join

Novice
Picture of lorilwayne
posted   Report This Post  
Thinking praying and hoping for all affected by the current and pending midwest flooding. Thinking of you through the struggles, praying for strength, and hoping for the best possible outcome.
State Qualifier
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Well stated lorilwayne. I join you in your prayers. I have friends in many towns along the rivers. I have a sister who lives in Dalota Dunes, SD. They got everything out of their house and put into storage and are just waiting to see if their house will survive.
World Champion
Picture of NWI
Lori -- I was in South Sioux on Friday to do a story on the College Center that is a shared venture between Northeast Community College and Wayne State College.

I found it hard to believe that they would need a five-foot dam around the building with the river more than a mile away from the structure...until I crossed the river into Iowa and looked at South Sioux City from along I-29.

South Sioux's soccer complex is already underwater, and they are working like crazy to build structures to protect the YMCA and Marina Inn that are along the river. Already, you can see how massive this flooding is, and it's hard to imagine that this is going to only be the beginning. With flows out of the dams up to the north and west not even half of what they will be two weeks from now, it's unfathomable to imagine what this area will look like when the waters finally recede, which may not happen until late summer or early fall.

The damage is going to be widespread, too...my dad lives in Plattsmouth and they will no doubt enjoy some of the raw sewage that will be dumped into the Missouri from Omaha and places up north. Nebraska City and other communities along the river are going to feel the impact on this for years to come.

My thoughts go out to everybody living along the river and in communities that will be impacted by this. It's going to be a rough summer for a lot of people.

"Energy Flows Where Attention Goes" -- James Arthur Ray

World Champion
Picture of HB
Flew out of Eppley today and now they've had an emergency meeting discussing what happens if the levee breaks. It no longer appears this is about water topping the levees-they might not be strong enough to hold the water.

This is County Road 34 and 51 southeast of Ft. Calhoun by the Boyer Chute. This will be underwater for months and thus will just be washed away.

Novice
Picture of lorilwayne
A friend of a friend went up in a plane by North Platte and caught some pics of their flooding. Not that severe but definately will have an impact. I know Hwy 30 has been closed between the North Platte airport and Maxwell. Union Pacific is fighting to keep the railway open there and judging by the pictures will have to fight for some time. Like I said- praying for all involved and hoping for the best possible outcome.