Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    Wrestling Officials
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Wrestling Officials Login/Join

Junior High
Picture of NP Bulldogs
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
I have 2 answers.

#1 YES this is why the young Refs don't stick around (even if they have great potential). I believe as coaches we get into a certian grove with officials who are "well established" We, unless there is animosity between the coach and ref, believe that these well established refs will do a better job officiating, and it is also easier to forgive a well established ref for a mistake made. The more you have an official the better the relationship gets.
I also believe coaches/fans/wrestlers are harder on the younger officials when we feel they make a mistake because they don't have the experience. Is this fair? NO. But I have seen it way to much...

#2 Taking from another post, I agree that some refs carry the attitude if you diagree with me then I am going to ding you unsportsmanlike. Is this the correct attitude to display??? NO, but I believe this might because they want to establish early on that they are in control. Plus they dont want people to think they are push overs.

I will be the first to admit that I have certian officials I would rather not see officiate my kids. This attitude is not the right one to have, but one or 2 incidents involving an official and one of my wrestlers have me feeling this way. After an "eye" opening incident last year at the State Tournament, I am trying to have more of an open mind with all officials. I realize they, like us are only human and make mistakes. So even though we might not like the way things turn out, we need to just suck it up and learn from them.

Lastly (sorry this is so long): If we as coaches don't encourage younger officials on, and give them a brake, we are going to push them from the sport. Soon there will not be anymore officials who will want to officiate wrestling. Then we, who are supposed to be the biggest advocates of wrestling, are going to be the reason why the sport of wrestling dies out.
Rookie
Why is unsportmanlike called so quickly on coaches in the sport of wrestling compared to other sports?
<Wonder>
posted   Report This Post  
I can't help but wonder why some football coaches can come clear out onto the field and yell at an official, a b-ball coach can come clear out of the box, but a wrestling coach can get nailed for merly standing up from his chair and hollering.
Junior High
Likewise, there are schools/coaches/fans that I would rather not deal with, but like you and others like you, I suck it up and do my best to remain impartial. I must admit it's not easy sometimes, but the "black & white" rules keep me honest. The best thing to do is not to let the handful of jerks interfere with the majority of good people.

Regarding the question at the beginning of this post of who are the best/worst officials in the state? It's as subjective as the best/worst fans, cheerleaders, wrestlers, coaches, etc. There's no right or wrong answer and no matter what, someone is going to be unhappy with the answers they get. I myself prefer working the B/C/D schools. In my opinion, the food is better...

I don't have the contacts that most of the established officials do, but I am making progress. One contract at a time.

As for the unsportsmanlike? I'm probably not the one to give an answer you'll be happy with, because I don't call it as quickly as other officials, or as I should for that matter. I like to give the coaches a little rope to hang themselves with before I ding them, and no, I don't have to warn you before an unsportsmanlike call.

As long as there are sports, coaches, contestants, fans, and officials, there will always be "urinary olympics" regarding the rules.
<Jason Sturek>
In regard to the question of why wrestling coaches can't get away with the same shouting and jumping up and down that takes place in other sports, the answer is pretty simple.

Wrestling officials actually enforce the rules in the book, at least part of the time. Those same rules basically exist in the other sports, it's just that those officials are less likely to enforce them. That's on them, not us.

This debate isn't a bad one to have before season starts. My dad coached for many years, so I empathize with that side of the coin. I reffed, so I know how hard it is over the course of a 12 hour day to be perfect.

I always listened to a coach who approached me calmly and with a clear argument. I always checked the case book if the coach had something they were trying to explain, so they could show me if I was wrong or I could show them if I was right.

But sometimes they were arguing stalling, or an edge of the mat takedown, and almost all of that stuff can be totally gray and is a JUDGEMENT. In that case, I would usually try to explain what I saw, and if they persisted I pulled out the question that is every wrestling official's best friend: Are you questioning my judgement?

Look, unless a rule was applied wrong, the score's not going to change. Coaches would have a much greater impact in a lot of these situations if they simply took the ref aside at the end of the day or during a break and talked about it without 1,000 fans watching and two wrestlers breathing hard in the middle circle, waiting to get back to business.

It might not change what happened in that one match, but it just might help later in the day or in the next tournament. This sport is all about learning, re-learning and trying to be as fair as possible. Believe me, for every poor ref out there there are another 10 guys doing the absolute best they can.

Just my thoughts . . .
NCAA All American
Picture of chiefMTstorm
Beating down refs is not going to help me get officials, gentlemen. At current, I don't think there is a ref that lives within 45 minutes of our wrestling facility. This needs to change. I am willing to get new refs, old refs, improving refs, or the best refs, I don't care. I hate that refs get a bad rap! I think coaches should have to ref a certain number of matches a year or something so that they would be a little more understanding. My assistant was a ref for over 25 years and finds it a challenge to be in the corner--he questions as much as anyone, but also understands. I'll put up a proposal here: I've got two triangulars that need to be officiated that I will offer up on this forum. The pay is $115 for you four hours. The dates are Dec 16th and Jan 8th at Davenport, NE. If you are interested please contact me at rihenry@esu6.org or henryrg@unk.edu. I'll feed you and treat you right, although I may question a few of your calls respectively. I'm serious about this--I've made several calls to officials about these two dates without much response.

Rick Henry

Novice
Picture of LC Scout
AIM: Online Status For p1ottydawg
Long time no hear! Thought you may had fell off the table there for a while. Just figured that since to see your name back up I'd drop a line to say hey. You guys goin to the Meridian Invite again on December 11th? If so, see ya there. Ya might sort of bein seein double there.....my brother is the new wrestling coach out there. Scary thought I know. Tell Al that I said hi too.
If you're looking for a ref for those days ya could ask(tryin to think of some of the locals) Mark Tachovsky, Steve Tonkin, Lynn Senkbeil, the Stara Brothers, even Bruce Becher comes to mind...heck, even ask Al to come out of retirement...heh heh heh Wink

Ok...now for this referee jabber that seems to be getting ran rumshod and overdone. I coach at a school where we don't quite get all the calls. So ya ask why don't you complain about it?? It's really tough not steppin up and sayin hey...."give us the two there" or "he didn't have locked hands there", etc etc etc. Coaches need to realize that even though referees receive proper training and have a lot of experience on the mat....that they too are human and they are going to miss some. Now I'm not saying I wouldn't stand up for my kid when it came to a controversial call in a State Title match...I would just like a solid description as to why he made that judgement.

Pain is temporary, pride is forever.
<Guest>
"The best ref"

The best refs are the refs that are unnoticed!

There are a couple of refs in the Metro who let you know at weighins with an attitude that you are on their time. I just wish they would not talk down to the kids and be more professional.

If not for these kids the refs would not be in the first place.

Refs should only blend in and not be colorful, let's leave that to the singlets!
NCAA All American
Picture of chiefMTstorm
I haven't fallen, not yet anyway. My wife has just given birth to my second child and grad school via the www is kicking my butt at times. Not to mention teaching, coaching fb, and getting my dog in the field searching for ringnecks. So, like many on this board, I am busy. So busy in fact that I have told myself to stop interacting so much on this site as it wasn't making my wrestlers any better, even though it is very entertaining.

Yes, we will be at meridian. See you there! Good luck with everything this year. Rick Henry

Rick Henry

World Champion
Picture of NWI
Congrats, Rick!

You know...they know what causes childbirth these days. I quit at one while I was ahead...besides, I'm not sure I could improve on perfection after the young lady I've watched her grow up to become. If she makes it to her next birthday (she's day to day, but then again -- aren't we all?), she'll be 14...seems like yesterday I was sweating bullets at a wrestling meet in Sutton hoping a snowstorm wouldn't keep me landlocked with my then-lovely bride 75 miles away waiting to pop at any time.

Don't get me started talking about my kid...she makes her daddy proud. I'm sure yours make you feel the same way. Big Grin
<Murdock>
If you are looking for officials, nsaahome.org has a page for posting jobs. I assume you contact NSAA so they can update their website.

As far as young officials in the state, I have been officiating high school for about 3 years and little kids for 10. As a young ref, my biggest problems are getting contracts. AD talk to their coaches to see what refs they want or to to see if they have heard of this new ref(me) for instance. If you are new most likely you won't get many jobs. Another problem are the schools that go to the reffing unions(Metro and Western Officials) to get refs. That makes it hard for new officials to find jobs. I personally don't want to pay to get a contract but I might have to if I want to continue officiating. I love doing it because coaching jobs are harder to find when you are in school and not a teacher. If anyone is looking for a ref, just email me. spencer.p.murdock@us.army.mil
I will travel a little because I don't mind it. Only problem is that won't be able to do until 2004 season because I am off fighting the war.
Rookie
If you are looking for officials, nsaahome.org has a page for posting jobs. I assume you contact NSAA so they can update their website.

As far as young officials in the state, I have been officiating high school for about 3 years and little kids for 10. As a young ref, my biggest problems are getting contracts. AD talk to their coaches to see what refs they want or to to see if they have heard of this new ref(me) for instance. If you are new most likely you won't get many jobs. Another problem are the schools that go to the reffing unions(Metro and Western Officials) to get refs. That makes it hard for new officials to find jobs. I personally don't want to pay to get a contract but I might have to if I want to continue officiating. I love doing it because coaching jobs are harder to find when you are in school and not a teacher. If anyone is looking for a ref, just email me. spencer.p.murdock@us.army.mil
I will travel a little because I don't mind it. Only problem is that won't be able to do until 2004 season because I am off fighting the war.
World Champion
Picture of NWI
Oh yeah...saw highlights of it on TV last night. Kellen Winslow's son doing his soldierly duties trying to "kill" Tennessee players.

Oh wait...that was just a FREAKING FOOTBALL GAME. Someone get that young man a double-dose of reality.

Spencer...when you do get back from the other side of the pond, I'd like to chat with you about the experience for a story. I've done several with Gretna-area soldiers after they returned home and there have been some great stories they have shared.
Rookie
Mike,

I will send you an email when I know I am coming home. As of right now it is April. I would love to be home in time for the state tournment but that is not going to happen. Your new website looks good. Hope the season goes well for you.
Junior Varsity
Picture of hawk
God Bless and Be With You! I t brings tears to my eyes as I type this knowing that a great number of our countries finest men and women are around the world doing a job that no one can really understand unless they have been there. On this the eve of VETERANS DAY I salute you and all armed forces personell. Please give my best and the wrestling communities best, and hope you are home soon.
Hawk

hawk