Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    UNO Lawsuits
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
UNO Lawsuits Login/Join

Junior High
Picture of BLASCHKO
posted   Report This Post  
Does anyone know if there were any lawsuits filed by athletes, coaches parents etc. against UNO?
Junior High
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Don't know if there is any legal basis for any lawsuits. But there certainly were lots of damages suffered by student athletes and coaches that committed to UNO based on promises for scholarships and job offers just to have the rug pulled after it was too late to change directions. It's an interesting question.
Rookie
Picture of NEYW
I am working on a bunch of FOIA stuff... but these are slow..
Junior High
Picture of BLASCHKO
Trev admitted that he knew UNO would be going DI when he was signing letters of intent. I would think there would be a civil lawsuit there.
Junior High
I'm not sure if the student-athletes have grounds for much as I believe they had their scholarships honored (I would assume for a total of 5 years- 4 years of competition plus a RS year). Now the coaches might have more of a case, but I'm guessing that when the coaches signed for their severance packages there was a probably a stipulation that the coach(s) wouldn't sue the university.
State Qualifier
quote:
Originally posted by NEYW:

What does FOIA stand for?
Junior Varsity
Picture of SlvrHwk
Freedom of Information Act
Novice
Picture of pinmachine
quote:
Originally posted by NEYW:

Didn't Trev admit to deleting a bunch of emails, that he is required by law to keep, because "he didn't know"? Did the university keep those emails on their servers like they should have?

"Summer wrestling makes Winter champions."
Junior High
Now I am not sure about this, but I would doubt those schollies were honored for 4 let alone 5 years. Athletic schollies are usually a one year deal that has to be re-upped. I would be they were each granted their schollie for one year and then they ahve to make a decision to stay or go somewhere else.
Now maybe UNO made an exception here because of the circumstances...but again I doubt it.
Junior High
I found a USA Today article stating Alberts would honor their scholarships if the athletes stayed at UNO, it makes no mention of how long.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports...maha-wrestling_N.htm
Rookie
Picture of NEYW
quote:
Didn't Trev admit to deleting a bunch of emails

Yes he admitted to breaking the law, I am hoping that others in the athletic department didn't.

I am not sure if they have fixed that problem or if Trev is now keeping his messages, but even if they have not and they still delete important correspondences what can we do?

Doug Weidner
http://www.usyw.org
douglas.weidner@neyw.org
Rookie
Picture of outstatefan
quote:
Originally posted by BLASCHKO:
Trev admitted that he knew UNO would be going DI when he was signing letters of intent. I would think there would be a civil lawsuit there.

Maybe we could get our illustrious Regent Kent "The Thief" Schroeder to take the case!
Rookie
Picture of NEYW
Oh the tangled web this university system weaves!!

Got my second response and it sounds like I will get a fraction of the information I requested even though they have the information in their offices.
Junior High
Picture of BLASCHKO
That is garbage. Maybe there needs to be a lawyer involved....
Rookie
Picture of NEYW
"God I love lawyers!!", bet you never thought you would hear that here.
Junior High
Just out of curiosity, has Coach Osborne ever commented on this matter?
Rookie
Picture of NEYW
Just that he did not influence the decision of UNO.
Junior High
Picture of BLASCHKO
On the OTL piece on ESPN they said he released a statement that he had nothing to do with it. I have heard otherwise from pretty reliable sources that he did. Whether directly or indirectly I guarantee you he had an influence. The football program was on the chopping block for years. I do not think it is a coincidence that an Ex-Husker ended up being the axe-man for the program.
Junior Varsity
Picture of hawk
Man if only Romey was still around on this board! Could you imagine the HORROR he would rain down on some of these comments??? popcorn

How about it DSWITZ you thinking about using those lawyering skills on this one?? Big Grin

hawk

Junior High
Somebody have a potential plaintiff or plaintiffs call me. 402-330-4820. I live in a courtroom.

Once again it proves true: Lawyers are like sewer workers ; y'all hate the scent of us but somebody's gotta work in the crap.