Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  The Back 9    Know it all...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Know it all... Login/Join

Novice
posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
It appears that we have a certain media squirrel with tons of time on his hands. He has been proficient commenting on any and all subject matter. This got me to thinking…can someone be a know it all about everything? So I found a nice test to find out!

1. Name the one sport in which neither the spectators nor the participants know the score or the leader until the contest ends.

2. What famous North American landmark is constantly moving backward?

3. Of all vegetables, only two can live to produce on their own for several growing seasons. All other vegetables must be replanted every year. What are the only two perennial vegetables?

4. Name the only sport in which the ball is always in possession of the team on defense, and the offensive team can score without touching the ball?

5. What fruit has its seeds on the outside?

6. In many liquor stores, you can buy pear brandy, with a real pear inside the bottle. The pear is whole and ripe, and the bottle is genuine; it hasn't been cut in any way. How did the pear get inside the bottle?

7. Only three words in standard English begin with the letters "dw" and they are all common words. Name two of them.

8. There are 14 punctuation marks in English grammar. Can you name at least half of them?

9. Where are the lakes that are referred to in the Los Angeles Lakers?

10. There are 7 ways a baseball player can legally reach first base without getting a hit. Taking a base on balls (a walk) is one way. Name the other 6.

11. Name the only vegetable or fruit that is never sold frozen, canned, processed, cooked, or in any other form except fresh.

12. Name 6 or more things that you can wear on your feet beginning with the letter "s."
Junior Varsity
Picture of SlvrHwk
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
O.K., I've never claimed to be a know it all, but I'll give your questions a try:

1. Boxing
2. All of the landmarks that face the west (opposite the rotation of the earth).
3. Tomatoes and squash (or other gourd)
4. Volleyball
5. Strawberry
6. They grow the pear inside the bottle
7. dweeb, dwarf, dwel (or dwelling)
8. period, exclamation, question, colon, semi-colon, apostrophe, comma, quotes, hyphen,..
9. Minnesota
10. Hit by pitch, passed ball on third strike, pinch runner, (that's a toughie...)
11. Lettuce?
12. shoes, socks, slippers, sandals, skis, snowboard,

Well, that's about the best I can do for now.
Novice
Picture of Angrybilly
10. Catcher interference and a fielding or throwing error.

"No Lincoln, No attendence. The Great Qwest Boycott continues."
Junior Varsity
Picture of hawk
Balk with the bases loaded

hawk

Junior High
Picture of Vegas Kid
#10 Fielder's Choice also
Rookie
#11 watermellon
World Champion
Picture of NWI
"It appears that we have a certain media squirrel with tons of time on his hands. He has been proficient commenting on any and all subject matter. This got me to thinking…can someone be a know it all about everything? So I found a nice test to find out!"

Well...SOMEBODY has to be the resident know-it-all. YOU obviously aren't...and contrary to what the resident troll may think, I'm too busy dealing with my responsibilities to spend any time answering such completely irrelevant trivia...although I could answer at least 10 in my sleep.

And if you're looking to pick another unwinnable fight...be man enough to do it in person. Sheesh...

Aht...

"Energy Flows Where Attention Goes" -- James Arthur Ray
Novice
Hey Mikey...I have taken the high road and have no desire to quarrel with the squirrel. That is a waste of time and energy. In addition, that is not part of the positive karma that I seek from Buddha. I have observed that you have commented on everything which shows your versatility...I have to admit, you do have some good points in some areas. I do not agree with all of your stuff, but I have not been in here bashing you or trying to inflict any discomfort. Why do you have to take offense all the time? You always want to meet with me…Sorry, with the holidays and all, my social calendar is full. I do think that your squirrel is a perfect symbol for you! We may have to get together after the holidays and share some nuts and coffee! So loosen up friend...I am not working you over! That is old news!
Rookie
#11. cellery
World Champion
Picture of NWI
Your track records speaks for itself, Wrasslin...and since history has a way of repeating itself, I respond accordingly.

I could care less whether or not you summon up enough courage to get together for a face-to-face chat...right now I've got bigger nuts to gather than you so it's in your best interest to find another target for your troll-drool.

Novice
History repeats itself?!?!?!?! You are so right...so does that mean that anyone that is trying to fight addiction, make life changes, get remarried, etc. are all bound to fail? I sure hope not!

I have many friends and familiy members that are all counting on the fact that they can change and do well in life...May God bless you and help you with your life changes! I hope you do not get caught with your own pessimistic outlook!
World Champion
Picture of NWI
God HAS blessed me with my life changes. And while you might accuse me -- inaccurately, I might add -- of a pessimistic outlook can instead be looked at as overly cautious optimism.

Your track record with me is not a good one, and when people attack me the way you have in the past, I don't easily forget OR forgive such transgressions. You want in my good graces, you're going to have to work at it. And, to this point, you have a loooooooong way to go, pal.

Don't mess with the squirrel...

Novice
I am not trying to get on your good graces...I could care less what you think about me. I am just tired of your negetive attitude and pessimistic attitude towards everything. I am not attacking you now and it could be argued in the past, I defended myself against some of your attacks. But that is all water under the bridge! It is time for great discussion and movement forward. That was all this thread was about, but again you try and make it a personal attack when there is no justification for that. NOT everything on here is about you or your opinion...Sorry!

If you got some answers, throw them up there, otherwise, lets hear from some others...I will post the answers tomorrow for all to see!
NCAA All American
Picture of chiefMTstorm
Lets not start again! I liked the ten questions, choose to answer them or not, but maybe the direct individual request was a bit much. When are the answers going to be officially revealed (what time of day)?

Rick Henry

Novice
Ol'SilveHawk was all over it...here are the answers. For all to enjoy! Even a blind squirrel gets a nut some days!

1. The one sport in which neither the spectators nor the participants know the score or the leader until the contest ends ... boxing

2. North American landmark constantly moving backward ... Niagara Falls. The rim is worn down about two and a half feet each year because of the millions of gallons of water that rush over it every minute.

3. Only two vegetables that can live to produce on their own for several growing seasons ... asparagus and rhubarb.

4. The only sport in which the ball is always in possession of the team on defense, and the offensive team can score without touching the ball ... baseball.

5. The fruit with its seeds on the outside ... strawberry.

6. How did the pear get inside the brandy bottle? It grew inside the bottle. (The bottles are placed over pear buds when they are small, and are wired in place on the tree. The bottle is left in place for the entire growing season. When the pears are ripe, they are snipped off at the stems.)

7. Three English words beginning with dw ... dwarf,dwell,and dwindle.

8. Fourteen punctuation marks in English grammar ... period, comma, colon, semicolon, dash, hyphen, apostrophe, question mark, exclamation point, quotation marks, brackets, parenthesis, braces, and ellipses.

9. The original lakes referred to in Lakers ... in Minnesota. (The team was originally known as the Minneapolis Lakers, and kept the name when they moved west.)

10. Seven ways a baseball player can legally reach first base without getting a hit....taking a base on balls (a walk) ... batter hit by a pitch, passed ball, catcher interference, catcher drops third strike, fielder's choice, and being designated as a pinch-runner.

11. The only vegetable or fruit never sold frozen, canned, processed, cooked, or in any other form but fresh ... lettuce.

12. Six or more things you can wear on your feet beginning with "s"... shoes, socks, sandals, sneakers, slippers, skis, skates, snowshoes, stockings, stilts.
Novice
SO how did you do? Did you know most of the answers? When I took it, I got several of them. I did not get Niagra Falls though...who would have known?

I like doing these kind of mind challenges! We can do some tougher ones if you are interested!
Novice
Picture of Blue
I say lets come with the tougher ones. I don't know any though.

I'm your boy!!
Junior Varsity
Picture of Stat Boy
MSN does not support status - click here for the profile.
I was gonna say Swimming for the first 1.

The Stat Boy

Varsity Letterman
Picture of Twdinger
If you did what I did, you would have googled one of the questions and found all of them on many websites with the answers...here is one

http://www.indianchild.com/fun_quiz.htm

You don't have to be a know it all with the world wide web.

Ever hear of the coach that couldn't coach his wrestler out of a wet paper bag; I was coaching the wet paper bag.