Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  The Back 9    Your Thoughts And Prayers Will Be Appreciated
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Your Thoughts And Prayers Will Be Appreciated Login/Join

posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
It’s going to be a pretty tough Elk Camp this year.

Doug, my hunting buddy for the last 12 years lost his battle with cancer this Spring. As I gather things up to head West for what would have been our 10th elk hunt, I find a lot of things that bring back many, many memories. Doug was a wonderful man who gave me and countless other people more than I or we could ever return.

Much of the equipment we took to camp belonged to him and the day of his funeral his wife and daughters told me that all of it belonged to me now. I’m honored to say the least. The straw that broke the camel’s back though was when his wife called earlier this week and said that she knew I was getting ready to go to Elk Camp and that Doug had requested that his ashes be spread in the mountains where we hunt and asked if I would take them with me and allow Doug to rest in peace for eternity where he wanted. Needless to say I told her I would be honored and consider it a privilege to do that for him.

For the first time I am taking my whole family with me to Elk Camp. It will be good for them to share what Doug and I shared for the last 12 years. It will be rough, but it will be worth every second.

Please keep Doug in your thoughts this next week or so. He very much looked forward to our annual trek to Wyoming to hunt the mighty Wapiti. He’ll go on his final hunt next week…..

May the road rise up to meet you.

May the wind be always at your back,

the sun shine warm upon your face,

the rain fall soft upon your fields,

and until we meet again may God

hold you in the hollow of His hand.

Thanks,

Mike

-----------------
Photobucket

"A PEOPLE THAT VALUES ITS PRIVILEGES OVER ITS PRINCIPLES, SOON LOSES BOTH"

EISENHOWER
World Champion
Picture of NWI
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
Mike,

God be with you on the journey and with Doug as well. May he rest in peace, and may you enjoy the trip in his honor.

Big Grin

"Energy Flows Where Attention Goes" -- James Arthur Ray
Junior Varsity
Picture of rmh
God bless you and your family, Rocker. My condolences on the loss of your friend.

Thanks Mikey and rmh.

Below is what we have always referred to as "Doug's tree". Unless as a group we had something else planned, that is where you could find Doug on any given day of the hunt.

That is where I spent opening morning.

Spread his ashes under the tree so he would always be where he loved to be then passed the rest of the morning remembering what a great friend and hunting partner he was.

It was a tough but great morning...

-----------------
Photobucket

"A PEOPLE THAT VALUES ITS PRIVILEGES OVER ITS PRINCIPLES, SOON LOSES BOTH"

EISENHOWER
Varsity Letterman
Picture of GO4ZPIN
Fred Bear

The state of Nebraska is won on your feet .
James Berger