Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  The Back 9    Thank goodness its almost wrestling season (OT sort of)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thank goodness its almost wrestling season (OT sort of) Login/Join

Novice
Picture of lorilwayne
posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
That way I can quit listening to these beatings that we are taking on the field? 6th game in a Division I schedule and we need more practice? Time for a new coach? Why not play the native Nebraskans on the team. At least they would play with heart. If not their families and friends would have a lot to say to them. Sorry to vent this is just really way too disheartening for this Nebraskan to swallow without saying something somewhere.
World Champion
Picture of NWI
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
Since Steve Pederson became athletic director and ran Frank Solich out of town under the guise of preventing Nebraska from "slipping into mediocrity" -- the following has happened:

1. The all-time record for consecutive winning seasons was snapped

2. The all-time record for consecutive seasons with a bowl appearance was snapped

3. Multiple-year strings of victories, whether home, away or overall, have been snapped by every team the Huskers used to own (KU, KSU, ISU, MU and now OSU) in the old Big Eight Conference.

4. Nebraska has given up more points AFTER SIX GAMES in 2007 than they did in all of 2003, Solich's last year.

5. Today marked the FOURTH time in the last five games that Nebraska gave up 40 or more points. The last time that happened? Here's the answer...IT NEVER HAS IN 117 YEARS OF NEBRASKA FOOTBALL.

6. Nebraska suffered its worst home loss since 1958 (oddly enough, that also came on homecoming).

7. Oklahoma State won for the first time in Lincoln since a guy by the name of Dwight David Eisenhower was President of the United States (and for those of you not up on your history, he was the one before Kennedy, who came before LBJ, who preceded Nixon, who hired Ford as his replacement, who was subsequently replaced by Carter, then Reagan, then Bush Sr., then Clinton and "W")

8. This team is now on a collision course to do someting that was done just once, and that was in 1957 -- finish with a seven-game losing streak. If that should happen, it would mark the second time Nebraska has won just one game in conference play in the Big 6/7/8/12 ERA (which goes all the way back to 1928).

Steve Pederson has helped Nebraska avoid "slipping" into mediocrity. Thanks to his incompetent leadership and subsequent hiring of a two-bit coach whose only noteworthy accomplishment is taking a Super Bowl team and turning them into a cellar dwellar in 12 monhts, we skipped "slipping" and jumped right into a full-on free-fall.

Because of Pederson, there is only one meaningful streak Husker fans can hang their hat on, and that is the home sellout streak, which hit 287 today. It will be 289 at season's end. Whether it goes higher than that or not remains to be seen. If I were a Husker season ticket holder, my future contributions to the program would be attached to one simple demand -- firing Pederson.

I asked my brother-in-law, a season ticket holder, if he feels like he's become the victim of identity theft. Steve Pederson is to Nebraska football fans what Kenneth Lay was to Enron shareholders . . . a complete and utter fraud.

"Energy Flows Where Attention Goes" -- James Arthur Ray
Junior High
That trip into mediocrity has been fast and painful.

One other thing I remember is that the "faithful" Husker fans were asking for Solich's head on a silver platter after an 8-3 season.

Now they want Pederson and Callahan's heads... And I'm probably guessing they want Solich back.
World Champion
Picture of NWI
Solich isn't coming back, nor should we ask for him. There needs to be some connection to the past, though -- I'd like to see Turner Gill get a chance. He's building Buffalo from pathetic to somewhat respectable, and with his instant connections here he'd be a good fit.

I'd also like to see Bo Pelini get a sniff as the head guy. Pederson would definitely have to be fired and they'd have to make a heck of an offer get him to take a look at it, but I know a lot of fans would like to see Bo come back.

Something has to be done ASAP. Pederson has completely gutted the tradition and turned it into a pathetic sham of a football program. What's even more shameful is that it's a Nebraska guy doing it to his own state's program. It was absolutely pathetic.

Rookie
I have a hard to believing that Pelini would head back this way considering we basically said that we didn't want him here (even after taking the "mediocre" talent of Solich and winning a bowl game with it). I agree that we have blown past mediocre straight down to the bottom of Big 12. I was extremely surprised when contracts were extended following the stellar win over Nevada. I have been a Cahallan supporter, in the naive thinking that we needed a different personnel to run the West Coast Offense. Now that Callahan has his own player's things have taken a drastic turn to for the worse.

But on the bright side our Volleyball team is #1 and undefeated!

I will continue to be a Husker fan no matter what but feel this could get worse before it gets better.

Sorry for taking this off of wrestling as is the point of this part of the forum.

If you don't invest very much, then defeat doesn't hurt you very much and winning is not very excitingy-dick vermell
World Champion
Picture of NWI
I believe we can get Bo Pelini to come back to Nebraska, but the first thing that needs to happen for that to occur is to fire Steve Pederson.

Pederson has absolutely railroaded this once-proud program. His egomaniacal attitude led to the downfall of most of our football traditions. I'm not saying Frank Solich was the answer, but to fire a coach after a 9-3 season was unspeakably stupid and started the chain of events that led us to witnessing the worst beating of a Husker team on its home field in almost half a century.

Pederson is a pathetic administrator and a horribly egotistical jerk that care nothing about tradition and is only looking out for himself. He will always be remembered as the one man who tore apart Husker Nation and all its traditions of success, and the bleeding will continue until he is removed from his position.

Rookie
I argued with a co-worker about the idiocy of canning Solich and he said, "Callahan and the west coast offense is the way to go." I told him that for cying out loud, even the pros are abandoning the west coast offense. If you don't run the ball you can't pass. Leave the defense on the field too long and they will get tired and unproductive. Youth football coaches even know that...

Winning state is only 1/50th of the equation.
Junior High
I'm happy with every mounting loss. Oklahoma struggled with finding a coach to bring them back to glory. It took a couple embarassing seasons but they eventually found Bob Stoops and the rest is history. I think NU will see the error of it's ways and bring in some new blood with old ties. Hopefully we can get Brian Kelly from Cincinatti...he's a stud. I do hope we keep Shawn Watson though, he was the O-Coordinator when CU was owning the North and winning Big 12 titles. He knows his stuff, but Callahan is calling the plays.
World Champion
Picture of NWI
Read on a fairly reliable Nebraska football-related blog late Sunday night that Cosgrove is resigning as def. coord. and Steve Pederson is being fired as A.D.

I'd buy the Cosgrove rumor in a second, but I'm not sure how factual the Pederson rumor is. The note I saw said the info came from an inside source that also called Solich's firing the day before it was announced.

Spread both rumors as you see fit...the sooner Pederson is gone, the better -- I think Cosgrove's situation is pretty much a done deal.

Novice
Picture of Kalhoun
There have been all kinds of crazy rumors about Pederson, Cally and Coz the last couple of days.

Some were saying there will be a big Press Conf. today.... we'll see.
Novice
Picture of Kalhoun
quote:
I believe we can get Bo Pelini to come back to Nebraska, but the first thing that needs to happen for that to occur is to fire Steve Pederson.

I believe you're right... he really liked his stay in Lincoln. Even mentioned he was fond of his Parish. Yes, it's time to get Bo.

Word has it that ESPN will be at the press conference tomorrow.

We gotta give Pederson credit. He said in 2003 when he fired Solich,

quote:
"I refuse to let this program gravitate to a level of mediocrity"

He's been true to his word. He's led us into a free fall to horrific.

-----------------
Photobucket

"A PEOPLE THAT VALUES ITS PRIVILEGES OVER ITS PRINCIPLES, SOON LOSES BOTH"

EISENHOWER
Junior Varsity
Picture of 4Huskers
The only deal is Tuesdays are their normal press conferences. So is it different or the same-o same-o.

Hus
World Champion
Picture of TK
internet is starting to light up, even HuskersIllustrated is saying Peterson has quit. but too many stories floating around to know exact truth; but its likely we won't have to wait until tomorrow to learn it.