Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  The Back 9    Bo Pelini -- a good hire for the Huskers?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bo Pelini -- a good hire for the Huskers? Login/Join

World Champion
Picture of NWI
posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
What does everybody think? I'm putting together some thoughts for my blog and will have some here later...

"Energy Flows Where Attention Goes" -- James Arthur Ray

posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
Yup. Good hire.

He's got the fire and the no-nonsense attitude a lot of folks like. Heard Chad Sievers who played for him in '03 say that he would be in your face pushing you to be the best and could motivate with the best of them. Then when you made a good play he would be the first on the field chest bumping them. He also said the Pelini's defense says we're gonna punch you in the mouth and see how you're gonna adjust instead of sitting back and trying to adjust (or not as the case seems to be with Cosgrove). Right click here and save the file to your hard disk then open it and listen to about the last 20 minutes of the Doug and Daddy Show. Tells quite a story if you ask me.

I like his fire, I like his attitude, I like that he wholeheartedly embraces the tradition that is Nebraska football. I have heard that recruiting isn't high on his list though. That could be problematic unless he's got an outstanding recruiter on the staff and he just makes a few visits to seal the deal.

When I heard that it was down to Gill or Pelini, I thought I could be happy with either. Knowing Osbornes connection I figured it was Gill in a lock but the Good Doctor threw us a bit of a curve and actually hired for the defense where it is sorely needed. Might be interesting to see just how involved he is with the defense.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Red Rocker,

-----------------
Photobucket

"A PEOPLE THAT VALUES ITS PRIVILEGES OVER ITS PRINCIPLES, SOON LOSES BOTH"

EISENHOWER
State Qualifier
RR, Your comment about recruiting is interesting. Friday night I was listening to a sports talk show on the radio and Barry Switzer was the guest. The host asked him if it would be essential to hire a Nebraska guy in order to understand the Nebraska tradition. I don't remember Switzer's exact words but it was something to the effect that if a prospective coach was worth going after he would already understand the Nebraska tradition. He said the new coach had to assemble a good staff who could EVALUATE talent (not sign a 5 star player who might never see the field), convince them to come to UNL, and then COACH THEM UP. Isn't it interesting that in the first game this year Kunalic kicked off about 6 or 7 times. All or all but one were in the end zone and about half were out of the end zone. By the end of the season he was struggling to hit the 10 yard line. Switzer used the terms EVALUATE and COACH THEM UP throughout the program.

The 1995 Husker team is probably the best college team of all time. If you take the fifth year seniors, seniors, and juniors on that team I doubt if any of their recruiting classes were in the top 30 in the country, as ranked by the recruiting "experts". Apparently somebody (ies) must have been able to EVALUATE talent better that the "experts" and then somebody (ies) must have done a great job of COACHING THEM UP.

These high school kids watch a lot of college games every weekend. If they watch a team play with great intensity and enthusiasm and they aren't interested in at least checking the program out do we really want them? I think the recruiting will fall into line.
Rookie
it was a good choice to hire bo