Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  The Back 9    The WORST sportscaster ever
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The WORST sportscaster ever Login/Join

World Champion
Picture of NWI
posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
I've done nothing but laugh to the point of tears even 10 minutes after watching this train wreck.

Highlight is the "boom goes the dynamite" comment during the Pacers-Nets highlight clip.

Even on Radio Man's absolute WORST night...it's nowhere near as bad as this kid. I just hope if he's anywhere near a TV studio, he's working in sales...

Worst sportscaster ever

"Energy Flows Where Attention Goes" -- James Arthur Ray
Junior Varsity
Picture of ndb65
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
I went to school for Radio/TV Broadcasting,that is the absoulute worst I have ever witnessed. Someone should tell him that its not too late to switch his major!!!

Guaranteed LOUDEST guy in the gym!!!!
Junior High
Yah, I saw this clip about 3 years ago, it's pretty brutal. If you want a more current example, just watch Emmitt Smith on ESPN....brutal.
World Champion
Picture of NWI
Oh man...Emmitt just ABUSES the English language every tie he tries to make a point. It almost makes me uncomfortable watching him every Sunday morning.

State Qualifier
Now let's talk about the greatest sportcaster ever. My vote goes the Ray Scott, the voice of the Packers back in the 60's and 70's. I think he later broadcast UNL games when multiple stations had their own sportscaster. He could say more with 5 words that most can with 50 paragraphs. How many of you oldtimers can remember, "Starr to Dowler, TD"? His greatest call came in a game with the LA Rams (Yes, you postwar babies, the Rams used to be in Los Angeles.) It was before the Super Bowl came into existance so the top prize came when the champions of the Western Conference played the champions of the Eastern Conference. It was about the next to last regular season game and the Packers led the Rams by a game in the conference standings, so this game was crucial. The game was very even with neither team being able to get any momentum going to break out into a good lead. There was a feeling that the first team to make a big play would pull away. I think it was late in the third or early in the fourth quarter when the Packers had the ball at about midfield and third down with 5-6 to go. The Packers had a very talented running back named Travis Williams who never seemed to play up to his potential. (his son is playing cornerback for the Packers now).

The Packers called a middle trap with Williams carrying the ball. He took the handoff and before he had crossed the line of scrimmage Ray Scott said, "Travis Williams, GONE". Nothing more was said; nothing more needed to be said. The Packers went on to win by about 2 touchdowns.

When you watch the Super Bowl Sunday night you will see Doug Williams flip the coin at the start of the game. 20 years ago he was the QB for the Redskins and became the first black QB to win a Super Bowl. A reporter from the network that carried the game had an on-the-field interview with Williams. After 3-4 of the usual questions he asked the stupidest question I have ever heard, "How long have you been a black quarterback?" Williams handled it like a champ and just ignored the question. I wish he had said, "Just a couple of years. I used to be Japanese but they are so short I couldn't see over the line".
World Champion
Picture of NWI
I remember that "how long have you been a black QB" question. I was in college journalism at the time, and we must have laughed about that one for weeks.

For my money, the best ever is Vin Scully. Unmistakable voice, could paint a picture like few others. Jack Buck was another of the great ones. Dick Enberg is another. Some GREAT ones from Frank's generation through early part of my years in the biz.

Not too many good ones out there right now...too much feeding of the ego taking place.

Junior Varsity
Picture of ndb65
Im a "new school" guy, i dont remember the good ones enough to make a pick, however i can make a pick on the worst ones.

John Madden-makes emmitt look knowledgeable
Brent Musberger

Guaranteed LOUDEST guy in the gym!!!!
Rookie
Amen to that ndb! I hate Madden! He talks as though the people watching are foreign to the game! Yeah, uh, the quarterback throws to the endzone and if his receiver catches it, well, that's a touchdown... I hate that dude! I also thought it was funny Musburger got pulled over in Lincoln for an open container or something... HATE BOTH OF THEM!!!!
World Champion
Picture of NWI
I dunno...I kinda like John Madden
The REAL John Madden

Novice
Vin Scully, yes he could paint a picture, and what a unique voice. Ever watched the movie "For the love of the game"? I remember once when it was raining during a playoff game and Vin described a routine ground ball to short as "the ball splashes to the shortstop and he battles it to a draw, the flip to second and he's out"
Favorite Nebraska announcer? Out west on our radio we used to get Dick Perry, later got to know him when he moved to Ogallala, very professional, very competent.
Worst announcer? Or maybe I just don't like him....Brent..