Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  The Back 9    BCS suppose to be a clear #1??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

BCS suppose to be a clear #1?? Login/Join

Rookie
posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
K so Pitt just beat West VA. OU is beating Mizzou. Based on the BCS OSU will go to the championship game without playing the last 2 weeks. The real question is who would they play against? Do you put a 2 loss team of Georgia in, what about Kansas at 11-1, you also got LSU another 2 loss team but won the championship in the always challenging SEC? Just curious people's thoughts. I'd love to see a playoff, but I think $$ will make that not happen.

If you don't invest very much, then defeat doesn't hurt you very much and winning is not very excitingy-dick vermell
World Champion
Picture of NWI
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
The BCS is a fraud. Always has been, always will be. This year has proven it, beyond a shadow of a doubt, what a bogus system this is. It doesn't matter who gets in for the "national title game" -- it is a fraud to call the winner of that game the "national champion."

There is no argument...There is no way to justify continuing to use this system to determine a national championship game. I don't care if Hawaii plays Kansas, Ohio State plays Georgia, LSU plays Missouri or whatever combination you come up with -- it is an ALLEGED national championship game as long as this sham of a system continues.

Use a similar type of system to determine a 16-team playoff and let's get over the pathetic excuses (too long a season, these are student-athletes, the bowls will die, blah blah blah) of why a playoff system won't work.

"Energy Flows Where Attention Goes" -- James Arthur Ray
Rookie
Agreed. I really find it amusing that the one thing the BCS was suppose to stop, a split Nat'l Title, has happened 50% (not sure of the stat but I think its close) of the time with the BCS. This could be the case again this year with probably at least 7 teams with a legit argument for playin in the "title" game. (Georgia, LSU, OSU, Va Tech, Hawaii would be undefeated if they win but play in WAC, OU, Tenn etc).

I'd love to see the playoff work in DI, at least a +1 format to start the ball rolling.

If you don't invest very much, then defeat doesn't hurt you very much and winning is not very excitingy-dick vermell
State Qualifier
It isn't so much the system that's at fault, it's the teams. To say that you are the best team in the country this year is like saying you are the tallest pygmy in the jungle. If you asked the coaches of the top 10 teams how this year's team stacks up with the past 10 years of teams in their schools I think most of them would tell you this year's team wouldn't be in the top 50%.

The buzzword for this condition is parity, which could very well mean that everybody is as bad as every body else. It's a little like the old buzzword of depth, which in many cases meant an abundance of mediocrity.

Why has this great sport deteriorated like this. My knee-jerk reaction is that the major culprit is the NFL decision to let kids declare for the draft as soon as they are potty trained. From a pure statistical standpoint the loss of 15-20 underclassmen to the draft each year shouldn't hurt the quality of the overall sport because it is a very small percentage of the total number of college players. But the problem is that for every player who declares for the draft early there are 100's of kids who say, "I'm going to build my stats so I can go next year". They no longer play for their team and teammates, but they are just trying to position themselves for an early departure to the NFL.

The NFL has studied the marketing techniques of the pro rasslin groups and have found that a large number of viewers (and purchasers of the advertisers' products) like the bizzare. I believe that 99% of true football fans (and probably a higher percentage here in the good old Midwest) would rather see a Walter Payton or a Barry Sanders score a touchdown and hand the ball to the ref than be subjected to some of these idiotic endzone celebrations of backs that couldn't carry the jocks of Payton, Sanders, and a multitude of other truly great backs.

We must be in a small minority because the NFL continues to condone behavior, both on and off the field, that apparently sells Chevy pickups and beer.