Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  The Back 9    Husker Coaches Committed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Husker Coaches Committed Login/Join

Novice
Picture of Kalhoun
posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
The two coaches Callahan retained from the old staff got their head coaching jobs and moved on---Gill to Buffalo, Downing to Northern Colorado.

Of the coaches Callahan brought in, all have stayed tight. The opportunities to move have been there:

1) Cosgrove declines a move to the Vikings:

--"My family and our Nebraska family came first in making my final decision. I am committed to coach Callahan and the Nebraska football program, and helping build toward a championship here."

Notice the words:

--“our Nebraska family.”
--“committed to coach Callahan”
--“a championship.”

2) John Blake was approached by Miami:

--A year ago Miami probed Blake’s interest in a possible move from Lincoln. His reply: “I am totally committed to the Nebraska football program and helping us build a championship program here….”

Again the words:

--“committed”
--“championship”

3) Bill Busch says "No" to Urban Meyer and Florida.

--Busch was Meyer's assistant at Utah. When he took the Florida job, Meyer reportedly approached Busch about moving with him. Busch expressed his loyalty to Nebraska and let it go.

4) Dennis Wagner passes on a head coach opportunity at Utah State.

--A year ago, Utah State asked Wagner to interview for the head coach opening. He declined.

Other football programs approaching our coaches? It’s a measure of quality. A measure of what you’ve got. As we continue to catch national attention, there will be more of that.

A number of our assistants have overtly said that they want to be head coaches---Cosgrove, Norvell, Blake, Wagner and Shawn Watson.

But in the meantime, luckily for us, they are “committed”---to Callahan and to Nebraska. And “championship” figures in there as well.

The Bottom Line:

My thought: Let's appreciate it. Enjoy the compliment to our staff and program. There are lots of things looking very promising around Husker football these days….

Just some things to think about…

This is all somebody elses thoughts, but I think it expresses so much. I thought I'd put it on here for people to ponder and respond to.
Junior High
Picture of NP Bulldogs
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
Well, that is good news. Stability is part of the battle.
Rookie
Just looked at SCOUT.COM looks like the huskers are really pursuing the Corners, Safeties, and Wide Receivers. Looks like another good recruiting class. Though not to much signings yet. But by the time mid-summer comes we'll be in the top 15 or 20. We return most of our starters exept Titus Adams, Le Kevin Smith, Daniel Bullocks, and Corey Ross. I havent heard anything about Jay Moore or Adam Carrikar. I heard Carrikar was gonna head pro. But nothing since. Have you guys heard anything?
Novice
Picture of Kalhoun
Carrikar is staying for his senior year. Very smart move for him. He needs to prove he can stay healthy which will improve his draft position tremendously.
Junior Varsity
Picture of Stat Boy
MSN does not support status - click here for the profile.
I met Callahan today. He was in the lockeroom talking w/ D.J. Jones and Coach Mac, I got a pic on my cell phone too.

The Stat Boy

Novice
Picture of Kalhoun
that's cool that you met them...

So are you taller than BC? Heard he is not very tall.
Rookie
Kinda the opposite of Tom Osborne, I didnt think he was that tall but MAN THAT GUY IS TALL!
Novice
Picture of Kalhoun
Callahan gets it... He knows the coaching staff need to make a connection with the HS's across the state...

"He sold me, I'll tell you that," said Suhr, the 23rd-year Papillion-La Vista coach. "I was very skeptical before, but I was impressed with him. And I'm not easily impressed. I could see why he'll be a good recruiter."

He made the rounds the past two days with offensive line coach Dennis Wagner, newly appointed to lead recruiting on the homefront...

for more read the article...
OWH article