Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  The Back 9    Team nicknames
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Team nicknames Login/Join

State Qualifier
posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
What are the most unusual team nicknames that you've heard? Joe Glenn told me that when he was coaching at U of Montana he went to Orofino, Idaho to visit a potential recruit. The state mental hospital is located in Orofino and the high school team is the Screaming Ninnies. I'm sure by now the politically correct police have changed that.

One of my college roommates was from Illinois and he played against the Camden Apple Knockers when he was in high school.

If someone posts a great nickname I will let you in on a great secret. As far as I can tell TK is the only person in the world who knows what an Ord Chanticleer is. Well he slipped and told me. I will share that knowledge with the person who posts the best nickname.
Novice
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
I know what a Chanticleer is, but I will not spill the beans! They were one of our rivals when I was in high school in Central City (who are the Bison, by the way!).
Novice
Frank here are a few:

1. Tufts U.=Jumbos
2. U of Cal. (Irvine)=Anteaters
3. Austin College=Kangaroos
4. Delta St. (in Mississippi)=Fighting Okras
5. Colby=White Mules
6. U. of Santa Cruz=The Banana Slugs

What are Salukis and Hokies?

PS--A Chanticleer is a rooster! I will take a sandwich that was meant for Farmer Burns!
State Qualifier
quote:
Originally posted by Munster:
Frank here are a few:

1. Tufts U.=Jumbos
2. U of Cal. (Irvine)=Anteaters
3. Austin College=Kangaroos
4. Delta St. (in Mississippi)=Fighting Okras
5. Colby=White Mules
6. U. of Santa Cruz=The Banana Slugs

What are Salukis and Hokies?

PS--A Chanticleer is a rooster! I will take a sandwich that was meant for Farmer Burns!

I think a Saluki is some kind of racing dog.

The Ord people tell others that a Chanticleer is a rooster but then laugh at you when you turn away. Your name is on a list of people they keep in the safe in the superintendent's office that they have suckered into believing the rooster story. It's in the file right next to the snipe hunt suckers.

I'd be scared if I knew that I had to go into competition with a Fighting Okra.

You can probably get Farmer Burns' sandwich if you are quick. When I was running on the treadmill tonight I was too far from the TV to hear the story but the banner going across the bottom of the screen said something about a suspicious package in Plattsmouth. I'll bet it was the sandwich that I sent to Farmer. If you get to the Plattsmouth Police Station before he does I will bet they will give it to you.
Novice
The bugeaters?
Rookie
Funny story in how the University of Santa Cruz got its nickname. They were a victim of the Political Correctness campaign, and the student body did not want to give up their nickname. So their solution was to come up with the worst name they could come up with.
Rookie
Picture of jbowers1
MSN does not support status - click here for the profile.
University of Arkansas-Monticello mascot is Boll Weevils
State Qualifier
Those are some great nicknames. For those of you who posted them you are entitled to learn the secret about the Chanticleers. If you didn't post a great nickname read no further. Go watch TV while the good posters learn the secret. When Ord High School was built the first athletic director was a spelunker (amateur cave explorer). He couldn't wait for summer vacation so he could go into caves he hadn't seen before. He was intrigued by the stalactites, which are those things that look like icicles hanging down from the roof of the cave. And he was doubly intrigued by the stalagmites, which are the inverted icicles that grow up out of the floor of the cave. When he went into Ord High School he was very impressed with the beautiful chandeliers hanging down from the ceilings. In his spelunker mind he imagined equally beautifully lights growing up out of the floor. You've probably guessed by now those inverted chandeliers are Chanticleers. He was so proud of his new name for the athletic teams that he went around town crowing like a rooster. Most of the locals weren't very familiar with cave exploration and didn't know what a Chanicleer was so they decided to stick with the rooster. They discovered it was a lot easier to explain to visitors. Now you know the rest of the story. TK thinks they will always be safe from the Politically Correct Police until they figure out what a Chanticleer really is. As soon as the PC police figure out that it is a giant light fixture they will probably require a different nickname because the Chanticleers leave a carbon footprint that is too big. So help the good people of Ord keep their nickname. Don't tell anyone else the secret.
World Champion
Picture of NWI
Last I heard, Maryville (Mo.) High School was known as the "Spoofhounds" -- what that is, I have no idea.

"Energy Flows Where Attention Goes" -- James Arthur Ray
Novice
I hate to argue with someone as astute and wise as Frank Ryan, but: "Chanticleer, a rooster appearing in fables surrounding the fables of Reynard the Fox. The most famous of these is probably Chanticleer and the Fox, a version of which is told in Chaucer's Canterbury Tales." This is a definition from Wikipedia! Smile

Mikey, a spoofhound is: "The Spoofhound was a Plaster of Paris carnival toy from the 1920s. Maryville is now the only school in the country to use the Spoofhound mascot as its mascot. Although originally two words, Maryville uses a one word Spoofhound for its mascot."
State Qualifier
quote:
Originally posted by Munster:
I hate to argue with someone as astute and wise as Frank Ryan, but: "Chanticleer, a rooster appearing in fables surrounding the fables of Reynard the Fox. The most famous of these is probably Chanticleer and the Fox, a version of which is told in Chaucer's Canterbury Tales." This is a definition from Wikipedia! Smile

Mikey, a spoofhound is: "The Spoofhound was a Plaster of Paris carnival toy from the 1920s. Maryville is now the only school in the country to use the Spoofhound mascot as its mascot. Although originally two words, Maryville uses a one word Spoofhound for its mascot."

Here's another definition from Wikipedia. "Frank Ryan: An old duffer who occasionally likes to pull people's legs."

Hus
World Champion
Picture of TK
Help him somebody!!! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin I told him not to eat that last sandwich, Best By 02-02-02 does not mean the $cheapest sandwich on the rack Roll Eyes The spelunkers in the depths of his old icebox found Wooly Mammoth rump roast too! I know its true because Fox News said so Bleh Maybe a V-8 will bring him back, hurry! One does have to wonder just what a ' bearcat ' is or why and where it came from. Its just not plausible the great Sasquatch could have lost his pet during a potty break at old Ft.Kearny!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TK,

Novice
Roll Eyes "You know you are getting old when the candles cost more than the cake."
Bob Hope. Happy Birthday, Frank! LOL
World Champion
Picture of NWI
George Burns, who died shortly after his 100th birthday, was quoted as saying something to the effect of, "Every morning, I get up and read the obituaries in the morning newspaper. If I don't see my name in there, I figure it's going to be a good day."

May it be a long, long time before we see your name in that particular section of the newspaper, Frank...

"Energy Flows Where Attention Goes" -- James Arthur Ray
State Qualifier
quote:
Originally posted by NWI:
George Burns, who died shortly after his 100th birthday, was quoted as saying something to the effect of, "Every morning, I get up and read the obituaries in the morning newspaper. If I don't see my name in there, I figure it's going to be a good day."

May it be a long, long time before we see your name in that particular section of the newspaper, Frank...

When I wake up in the morning I always look down at my feet. If there's no tag on my big toe I figure it will be a great day.
Novice
"The tendency of old age to the body, say the physiologists, is to form bone. It is as rare as it is pleasant to meet with an old man whose opinions are not ossified."
Bob Wells

Frank, since I am probably as old or older than you, I feel that I can comment on "old" age! LOL

I knew I had seen Frank and Munster somewhere before...

Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

-----------------
Photobucket

"A PEOPLE THAT VALUES ITS PRIVILEGES OVER ITS PRINCIPLES, SOON LOSES BOTH"

EISENHOWER
Junior High
What exactly is a Zip? (Akron University), or a Jeff? (Fairbury)
I think I get the correlation between the Hatters of Stetson University and the Governors of St. Paul (Capital of Minnesota) Johnson High.

Here's one that may be good for a chuckle: The Lemmings of Bryant & Stratton College - Cleveland Campus

And what self-respecting man would want to be known as a Steer? (Texas College, Tyler TX)

Or Poca (WV) Dots

This message has been edited. Last edited by: anarchist,
State Qualifier
quote:
Originally posted by anarchist:
What exactly is a Zip? (Akron University), or a Jeff? (Fairbury)
I think I get the correlation between the Hatters of Stetson University and the Governors of St. Paul (Capital of Minnesota) Johnson High.

Here's one that may be good for a chuckle: The Lemmings of Bryant & Stratton College - Cleveland Campus

And what self-respecting man would want to be known as a Steer? (Texas College, Tyler TX)

Or Poca (WV) Dots

I think the Fairbury Jeffs name comes from Jefferson County. The Zips is a little harder to explain. Check this link.

http://www.gozips.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10800&ATCLID=323405

I read this and still don't know what a Zip is.
Junior High
If I'm reading correctly...

Zip... Short for Zipper... A rubber boot...

I hope that student enjoyed her $10 cash and $6 pair of Zips... Bet she was kicking herself a few years later...