Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  The Back 9    OT: Anthony Lytle from Cambridge
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

OT: Anthony Lytle from Cambridge Login/Join

Varsity Letterman
Picture of Lance Stallion
posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
Don't know how many of you saw this story...

Lytle is a senior running back for Cambridge, playing in today's Class C-2 state finals game. But he also qualified for All-State Choir. He takes his music seriously, because he plans on pursuing a music degree in college. But he had to miss an All-State Choir practice today, because he was playing in the state finals, so he is now disqualified from participating in the All-State Choir tomorrow. Cambridge's principal (also the head football coach) appealled to the Nebraska Music Educators Association, but they said no way...miss a practice and you're done.

It's unbelievable that the state pushes the phrase "student-athlete" at us, but when there's a student who does excel in both, they force him to make a choice.
World Champion
Picture of NWI
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
There was a lot of buzz about this in the press box today...Stu and Ryly Jane are trying to contact somebody at the NMEA with enough backbone to try and justify this moronic decision.

Ohhhhh....do NOT get me started...

"Energy Flows Where Attention Goes" -- James Arthur Ray
Varsity Letterman
Ohhh, Mikey...you just know this pot needs to be stirred...

Maybe Joyce Patch, executive director of the Nebraska Music Educators Association, needs some friendly e-mails. Here's her e-mail address:

jpatch@kdsi.net

and here's the e-mail I sent:

Ms. Patch,
It's a shame that we want to use the term "student-athlete", but then we make the students make choices like going to an All-State Honor Choir or playing in the State Championship Football Game. Anthony Lytle should be celebrated for his dual accomplishments--not forced to choose between them.

You force students to make choices like this, then wonder why more athletes don't also join music classes, and vice versa?

From, a taxpayer who is very disappointed...

Hus
World Champion
Picture of TK
I suppose its now too late for wiser heads to prevail, yet I hope not. He already put in all the time and effort and made All State, its certainly no small accomplishment, only to be slapped in the face with this decision and denied his rightful spot onstage at the Lied Center tomorrow. NMEA should be pressured into changing any rules or regs they may have to avoid this ever occurring again, meanwhile its likely all they can consider is an apology for this certainly embarassing situation.

World Champion
Picture of NWI
TK...it was worthy of a column for GretnaSports.com, I thought...

NMEA needs to sing a different tune

"Energy Flows Where Attention Goes" -- James Arthur Ray

Hus
World Champion
Picture of TK
Well done Mike and thanks for following it up. I've attended NMEA All State Music concert for the last 4 years, its an incredible event and presentation. I was wrong and I'm glad it was not too late, congrats to NMEA for reconsidering the issue and responding positively for Anthony.

Varsity Letterman
TK, what did they end up doing? Did they let him perform on Saturday?

Hus
World Champion
Picture of TK
I can't personally prove that he was actually on stage, the all state choir is 450 large. Dev indicated that Anthony was back into rehearsals following his football game and therefore it was presumed he would also be on stage at the concert performance.