Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  The Back 9    Shatel vs Pederson!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shatel vs Pederson! Login/Join

Hus
World Champion
Picture of TK
posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
Yesterday's Shatel column paints a gloomy image inside Pederson's domain. Clearly the Devaney days are long gone and the Osborne days swept aside. But which of the two, Pederson or Shatel actually represents most of Nebraskan's feelings today?

Novice
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
TK, I would say neither, though I do think that Pederson, though screwing up the Nebraska tradition, does love Nebraska. I like Shatel's writing, but he is always looking for a fight with some coach! It must sell papers. I'm sure that Solich had problems, but I didn't really like the way that they got rid of him. He had made some good adjustments the year that they got rid of him (mostly new, good coaches). It is sad that Nebraska has lost the continuity and long standing traditions in football, with coaches staying for years and years, loyal to the system. I suppose that those days are gone forever, but it is still sad! I think that Pederson got on a power trip, or was forced by some donors to make the change, and hopefully it will eventually work out for the better, but so far, it has a ways to go!

Hus
World Champion
Picture of TK
I have no way of knowing if either are on a ' power trip '. Regardless, you must admit that the Shatel article was somewhat like jamming it in and twisting it repeatedly! More to come, I'm sure, stay tuned.

Junior Varsity
Picture of rmh
TK, Is the article in the online edition of OWH or do I have to go looking for yesterday's newspaper?

Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

-----------------
Photobucket

"A PEOPLE THAT VALUES ITS PRIVILEGES OVER ITS PRINCIPLES, SOON LOSES BOTH"

EISENHOWER
World Champion
Picture of NWI
When I was first starting out in the newspaper business, I wanted to write a column about the upcoming Husker football season.

I was able to call the UNL football office and speak directly to Osborne's secretary. When I called, he was in a meeting, but called back within 15 minutes of me leaving the original message. (There's a longer, funnier story to this, but we'll keep it short to move along)

Over the years, I made several trips to the UNL athletic department to interview Osborne as well as other Husker coaches, and many times it was as simple as walking to the coach's office and knocking on the door. NEVER did I (nor any of my colleagues, to my knowledge) have to go through what Shatel goes through now...and remember, he was just there to get a freaking MEDIA GUIDE, not interview anybody.

I've talked with people within the UNL athletic department, and what Shatel is inferring with this column is about 100 percent dead on accurate. Pederson is a control freak's control freak, and the hoops you have to jump through now to get an interview with a coach or athlete is just amazing.

When I was still doing NWI, I could fairly easily slip over the wall because I knew where Mark Manning's office was and could talk with him any time. Fortunately, Manning is a great interview and always willing to talk to the press about the team, so that's nice to have to work with.

There have been a lot of changes over the years, but even during the Dollar Bill Byrne Era it wasn't such a gulag-like atmosphere as what is now in place with Peterson. Peterson is an arrogant jerk who loves to micromanage and limit the access, not only to the media, but to those who aren't contributors to whatever financial cause he might be spearheading for the athletic department.

I said several years ago I would not buy another football ticket or another piece of Husker memorabilia (outside of wrestling, of course) as long as Pederson is A.D. I've been to one football game since then, and that was by invitation with my dad, who had tickets given to him by a friend.

He's done more, in my opinion, to destroy the overall sense of unity that Nebraska fans have traditionally had with Husker athletics over the generations. There was always a certain sense of family when it came to Husker sports, but more and more it's becoming a cold, heartless business.

"Energy Flows Where Attention Goes" -- James Arthur Ray

Hus
World Champion
Picture of TK
RMH, I read it directly from print edition, not sure if its online or not. Shatel is not everyone's favorite, but if he was ever on Pederson's must read list; that has all changed overnight. The dagger went in low and deep, pretty sure it will exit later in the neighborhood of the jugular. Can OWH withstand cold shoulder from UNL athletics? I'll check with Bill Alter Ego popcorn

World Champion
Picture of HB
Stevie P is on his last leg. He may well be gone-in a matter of weeks.
World Champion
Picture of NWI
HB - I hope you're right. I never thought I'd long for the days of Dollar Bill Byrne...

"Energy Flows Where Attention Goes" -- James Arthur Ray

Hus
World Champion
Picture of TK
HB, any feedback on this yet?

NCAA All American
Picture of chiefMTstorm
A column today in the owh sports section has Shatel answering a question about why it is so hard to see him in his office. The owh has a receptionist and some security of their own. It was funny to read this being thrown up into his platter. He defended it well, as you would expect, comparing private to public, and inviting the individual to come visit him (make sure you call first).

Rick Henry