Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  The Back 9    Multi Sport Trivia
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Multi Sport Trivia Login/Join

State Qualifier
posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
Who was the only man to score a touchdown at Chicago Soldier's Field, hit a home run on Wrigley Field, and shoot a basket in the old International Ampitheater arena where the Chicago Bulls played when they first came into existance? Give the circumstances for each.
Novice
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
Don't know if correct answer to your question, but there is only one person I've ever heard about who played professional Football, Baseball, and Basketball.
Junior High
Picture of Vegas Kid
Dave Winfield???
Novice
My guy is a 'little' older....
State Qualifier
quote:
Originally posted by ref:
Don't know if correct answer to your question, but there is only one person I've ever heard about who played professional Football, Baseball, and Basketball.

He didn't play professionally in all of the sports. I'm guessing that your guy also won some Olympic golds that were stripped when it was discovered that he had been a professional athlete under an assummed name. They were reinstated later. The 1912 Olympics were much more amateur than today. Am I correct in my guess of who your guess is? He's not the answer to my trivia as J.T. probably died before the International Ampitheater was built.
Junior High
Dave Winfield was drafted in three professional sports, but chose baseball.
Novice
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Ryan:

He didn't play professionally in all of the sports. I'm guessing that your guy also won some Olympic golds that were stripped when it was discovered that he had been a professional athlete under an assummed name. They were reinstated later. The 1912 Olympics were much more amateur than today. Am I correct in my guess of who your guess is? He's not the answer to my trivia as J.T. probably died before the International Ampitheater was built.

Got me! Only person who came to mind--do I still get my stale sandwich?
Rookie
Jackie Robinson
State Qualifier
quote:
Originally posted by Metro Ref 79:
Jackie Robinson

You are too good to get a stale sammich, You win one of Farmer Burns' 24 oz. steaks with all of the trimmings. He asked me to tell you that the limo will pick you up at 6:30 PM. I forgot to ask him what day so I'd watch the driveway every day at 6:30 PM.

Robinson played in the National Leaue so he played the Cubs in Wrigley Field lots of times. UCLA basketball team played in a tournament in the International Ampitheater. The touchdown in Soldier Field is a litle tougher. You post-war babies probably don't realize that until about 1960 a college all star team played a game every August against an NFL team in Soldier Field. The NFL champions from the year before played the college seniors from the year before. Robinson was the nation's leading rusher as a senior at UCLA and scored a touchdown in the all star game even though he didn't go into pro football.
State Qualifier
quote:
quote:

Got me! Only person who came to mind--do I still get my stale sandwich?

Were you thinking of Jim Thorpe?
Novice
Yep! and since I don't like to be wrong (happens too often) I believe the college all-star game was continued later than 1960. If I'm correct, Jerry Tagge quarterbacked the all-stars in the early 70's. Who was the coach of the all-stars? I can't remember, but he did it for quite afew years.
State Qualifier
quote:
Yep! and since I don't like to be wrong (happens too often) I believe the college all-star game was continued later than 1960. If I'm correct, Jerry Tagge quarterbacked the all-stars in the early 70's. Who was the coach of the all-stars? I can't remember, but he did it for quite afew years.

You are correct. I found this link but could'nt remember the All Stars Coach

http://www.mmbolding.com/BSR/Chicago_Charities_College_All-Star_Game.htm

I just dug deeper into this link and found that Otto Graham coached the All Stars for 10 years. Bob Devaney coached them once.

Good job ref and Frank!!!

Sincerely,

Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

-----------------
Photobucket

"A PEOPLE THAT VALUES ITS PRIVILEGES OVER ITS PRINCIPLES, SOON LOSES BOTH"

EISENHOWER
State Qualifier
quote:
Originally posted by Red Rocker:
Good job ref and Frank!!!

Sincerely,

Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

Red Rocker-

Thanks for posting this picture of the band instead of the other one where I have my shirt off.
Novice
And in the other picture I'm not wearing my formal black hat.

OK Red Rocker, Who are the four former Cardinals honored on the plaques in Yankee Stadium? Any red-blooded All-American boy should know this.

quote:
Red Rocker-

Thanks for posting this picture of the band instead of the other one where I have my shirt off.

You're Welcome...

Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

-----------------
Photobucket

"A PEOPLE THAT VALUES ITS PRIVILEGES OVER ITS PRINCIPLES, SOON LOSES BOTH"

EISENHOWER
State Qualifier
quote:
Originally posted by Red Rocker:
quote:
Red Rocker-

Oh come on RR. At least post the current picture. I've lost about 1.75 pounds since this picture was taken.

You're Welcome...

Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin