Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  The Back 9    President Bush in Omaha?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

President Bush in Omaha? Login/Join

World Champion
Picture of HB
posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
I just got a call that said GW would be at a campaign stop in Omaha on Monday at the Qwest Center and that a friend had picked me up some tickets to the event. Big Grin

World Champion
Picture of HB
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
Mid America Center over in Council Bluffs on Monday.
<whatrockis>
Why? There is no point to visit Nebraska. He will get all the votes he needs here anyway and with the obsoulete electoral college there is no chance of Kerry getting anything out of our pathetic state.
Varsity Letterman
Picture of Lance Stallion
As Lee Corso would say...not so fast, my friend! Nebraska, being the progressive state it is, and Maine are the only two states that divide their electoral votes based on percentage of the popular vote. We are not "winner-take-all" like the other 48 states. Colorado has it on the November ballot to see if voters want to divide up the state's nine electoral votes, starting with this election. If they pass it, I think you will see more states put it on the ballot before the 2008 Election.
<SlvrHwk>
Oh...goody. You can see in person the most powerful person in the world who has yet to master the English language. Not too often you get to do that!

World Champion
Picture of HB
He's shoring up the votes in Eastern Iowa. Yeah that President Bush is a real dummy. Everyone I know has a degree from an Ivy league school. It takes much more intelligence to lie through your teeth on a regular basis like Senator Spitball and the silky pony John Edwards.
<SlvrHwk>
Sieg Heil, baby. Sieg Heil.
Junior Varsity
I thought they split our 3 electoral votes by our districts and not by a percentage.
Varsity Letterman
Nebraska has five electoral votes. States have as many electoral votes as they have Senators (2) and Congressmen (3).

Lance is correct, Nebraska has 5 electoral votes. One for each of the two Senators and one each for the three Congressmen.

Since 1996 Nebraska has joined Maine as the only 2 States in the Union that could split their Congressional votes.

The Candidate who wins the overall popular election in the State earns two of the electoral votes. Then the winner of each Congressional District gets that Districts electoral vote. Theoretically, if overall the State votes one way but 2 of the 3 Congressional Districts vote the other way then the electoral votes would be split 3-2. Since this has been implemented in Nebraska and Maine (1972), the electoral votes have not been split.

The Colorado measure is a little different as I understand it. I believe that the winner of the popular vote gets 5 of the electoral votes and the loser gets 4. Essentially then, the winner of the popular vote only gains one electoral vote.

Hope that helps.

Found a link to the Colorado Amendment.

Click Here

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Red Rocker,

-----------------
Photobucket

"A PEOPLE THAT VALUES ITS PRIVILEGES OVER ITS PRINCIPLES, SOON LOSES BOTH"

EISENHOWER
Varsity Letterman
Picture of Twdinger
Geeez Stallion...it's like you are a social studies teacher or something! Wink

Ever hear of the coach that couldn't coach his wrestler out of a wet paper bag; I was coaching the wet paper bag.
Varsity Letterman
It's something I dabble in from time to time, TW.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Lance Stallion,
World Champion
Picture of NWI
Leave it to Colorado to muck up the works.

Hey Lance...does this mean, in your off hours, you teach ANTI-Social Studies??? Just wonderin'...

"Energy Flows Where Attention Goes" -- James Arthur Ray
Varsity Letterman
Engage in anti-social behavior at times, but never teach it...

And Colorado is voting whether or not to split its electoral votes THIS YEAR, which means they can't total up their final electoral vote count until they figure out whether the initiative passed or not. And being a key battleground state, those nine electoral votes could weigh heavily on the Presidential Election's outcome. Could be another long, long election night.
<whatrockis>
I am starting a campaign against the electoral college. I don't know how much of an impact we can have, but at least I feel like I'm doing SOMETHING to help us all out a bit.