Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  The Back 9    And the next Husker coach will be...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

And the next Husker coach will be... Login/Join

World Champion
Picture of NWI
posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
So far, the two names mentioned most often have been Bo Pelini and Turner Gill (and if you don't know their past histories, then you aren't really a Husker fan).

One name I heard mentioned this morning on ESPN was current Tampa Bay defensive coordinator and Nebraska native Monte Kiffin. And I can't remember where I read it this morning, but Boise State's coach is also being mentioned as a possibility.

"Energy Flows Where Attention Goes" -- James Arthur Ray
Rookie
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
I was thinking about Kiffin yesterday when I should have been working, and I just can't see another NFL guy taking over; who knows though right? There's a lot going on in TO's big brain.
World Champion
Picture of NWI
Who thinks about Monte Kiffin while they're working???

And what kind of job allows for that kind of thinking, anyway... Funny

World Champion
Picture of NWI
Here are the names that have been mentioned by various media outlets, in addition to Bo Pelini and Turner Gill:

Monte Kiffin, current Tampa Bay Buccaneers defensive coordinator (ESPN). Nebraska native and former Husker assistant under Devaney and Osborne.

Barry Alvarez, Wisconsin AD and former Wisconsin coach (ESPN/OWH). Alvarez has previous ties to Nebraska as a player an assistant and may be a candidate if it's a dual AD/coach hire.

Greg Schiano, head coach at Rutgers (World-Herald). He was rumored to be going to his alma mater, Miami (Fla.) but decided to stay in Jersey.

Jim Leavitt, head coach at South Florida (OWH). Leavitt has past experience at Iowa and Kansas State and is the only coach USF has had. Had the Bulls at No. 2 in the rankings before a late-season swoon.

Brian Kelly, head coach at Cincinnati (OWH). Previous experience building quality programs at lower levels before coming to Cincy from Central Michigan.

Jim Grobe, head coach at Wake Forest (OWH). Previously at Ohio, built quality program there before coming to Wake Forest and turning that program around as well.

Chris Petersen, Boise State head coach (ESPN). Peterson stepped in when Dan Hawkins left for Colorado and led them to an undefeated year last year and an improbable win over Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl.

World Champion
Picture of NWI
Lincoln Journal-Star website is reporting tonight that Pelini is meeting with some Nebraska representatives while Tom Osborne has received permission from the University of Buffalo to talk with Turner Gill.

Junior High
Picture of PitBullJim
Bo Pelini doesn't stand a chance... Tom is a Christian man. Pelini, well... nevermind. I have inside source information on what he provided during his "bowl" game with Nebraska. Tom will want nothing to do with Bo.

Pelini will follow a path to MICHIGAN as an assitant again with more of the LSU staff or stay at LSU.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: PitBullJim,
Rookie
quote:
Originally posted by NWI:
Who thinks about Monte Kiffin while they're working???

And what kind of job allows for that kind of thinking, anyway... Funny

I suppose I should have said I was thinking about the coaching situation while I was supposed to be working and Kiffin came to mind as a possible candidate.

I guess I asked for that one.
World Champion
Picture of NWI
Never leave a writer with an opening, BB...goofy questions sometimes get asked when that happens.

World Champion
Picture of NWI
From what I've seen and heard today, the hot possibilities are Pelini, Gill and Grobe from Wake Forest.

Heard a guy on the radio who is a college football expert say a lot of good things about Grobe and the coach from Navy. Guess I didn't really think much about the Navy coach, but after hearing what I heard he might be someone to consider as well.

Junior High
...announced some time this week!!!
World Champion
Picture of NWI
Sounds like the announcement could be late Tuesday or early Wednesday.

Junior High
...none other than T.O. himself... Until he finds a suitable substitute...

Guess we can understand where this is going... At least passed the NCAA exam, so he can recruit.
World Champion
Picture of NWI
Not only did he have to pass the exam, he had to put himself on the coaching staff so he could go out and recruit, thus the "promotion"...

Junior High
I think that after what Peterson, Callahan & the rest of the (non) coaching staff did, there's much to be promoted in to...

It's just to keep the recruiting lanes open for NU since there's still a short window of opportunity to bring in some prospects...

Don't know much about the QB depth chart. Who's behind Ganz, and will TO pull a Callahan & bring in a junior/senior with only one year of eligibility to 'give him another shot'?
Junior Varsity
Picture of 4Huskers
quote:
Originally posted by anarchist:
I think that after what Peterson, Callahan & the rest of the (non) coaching staff did, there's much to be promoted in to...

It's just to keep the recruiting lanes open for NU since there's still a short window of opportunity to bring in some prospects...

Don't know much about the QB depth chart. Who's behind Ganz, and will TO pull a Callahan & bring in a junior/senior with only one year of eligibility to 'give him another shot'?

QB has some good depth with 3 potential starters (including Ganz)

The Gospel according to a Husker fan

And it came to pass in the land of Lincoln , in the kingdom of Husker Nation, that a man named Pederson arose to rule the realm of Athletics.
He was of the Kingdom, from the city of North Platte , and was a follower of the Huskers of Corn.

But he was not a wise man, forsaking the ways of the Husker Nation, sending the leader Solich into the wilderness, and turning away the warriors of old who wore the tunics of black into battle in ages past, even removing their portraits and pictures.

And in the place of Solich, he selected from the land of La-La a strange man, once known as leading a failed army known as Raiders to defeat after defeat in the grand Coliseum of the Land of Oaks , a city by the bay of San Francisco , a wicked city of Sodomites and practitioners of perversion.

And did this man, known as Callahan, become the general of the Husker armies, forsaking all traditions held dear to the hearts of the citizens.

And a strange plan known as the West Coast Offense was forced upon the armies, and the proven tactics of old were called evil and sinful by Callahan. And complex and confusing were the plans in the Offense, and failure was the result.

And the Husker armies fell apart on the fields of battle, and adversaries from the Land of Troy , the hated Sooners, the powerful Orange Cowboys from the land of Still Water, yea even the despised Purple Cats from the wasteland of Kansas, did achieve victory after victory over the once-mighty Husker armies, and the wearers of the Tunics of Black.

And in the fourth year of the reign of Callahan, did the Husker armies struggle against warriors from a land where canning jars were made. And lo, the armies of Troy, the Tiger tribe from Columbia, yea, even the
Orange Cowboys, did soundly defeat the Husker armies.

And it came to pass during the battle with the Orange Cowboys, in the presence of St. Thomas of Osborne and his brave soldiers of yore, that
the members of Husker Nation did turn their backs upon the slaughter of the weakened armies of Callahan.

And a hue and cry arose throughout the land, in cyberspace, and on the program ESPN, for the removal of the failed general Callahan and his aides, and his master Pederson the Jerk.

And the Chancellor heard their cries, and dispatched Pederson into exile.

And St. Thomas was summoned by the Chancellor, and was given the power to rule in the department of Athletics.

And o, did Callahan wail and gnash his teeth, telling one and all of the fine works he had done. And his lies fell on deaf ears.

And there was great joy in Husker Nation as St. Thomas restored the traditions of old, welcoming with open arms the warriors of old known to the Nation.

But there was a reminder from St. Thomas that no remedies would be quick in coming, and that time shall pass before the great Husker armies are strong and feared once again throughout the land of the Alliance of 12.

Even so, once again hope is strong among the faithful of the Husker Nation, and some day in the future the Tunics of Black shall once again be worn by the fierce defenders of the field.

-----------------
Photobucket

"A PEOPLE THAT VALUES ITS PRIVILEGES OVER ITS PRINCIPLES, SOON LOSES BOTH"

EISENHOWER
World Champion
Picture of NWI
Amen, brutha...

Rookie
SOunds like Bo is gonna be back at the helms of NU football! Interesting timing choice though I think, can't imagine LSU is too happy right now.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3135858

If you don't invest very much, then defeat doesn't hurt you very much and winning is not very excitingy-dick vermell

Interesting.

I like Pelini but probably would have put money on Gill because of his ties to Osborne.

Either way, we're way better off than Walmart Bill...

-----------------
Photobucket

"A PEOPLE THAT VALUES ITS PRIVILEGES OVER ITS PRINCIPLES, SOON LOSES BOTH"

EISENHOWER
World Champion
Picture of NWI
And in an interesting side note, Steve Peterson is back as AD at Pittsburgh...which means the Panthers are about to surrender the Big East to 2-10 Syracuse...