Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  The Back 9    College Trivia Question of my own
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

College Trivia Question of my own Login/Join

Novice
Picture of huzker
posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
Out of the BCS bowl games which bowl game is the oldest, what year was it first played and who won the first game?
World Champion
Picture of NWI
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
Michigan beat Stanford 49-0 in the first Rose Bowl game, played in 1902. It did not become an annual game, however, until 1916 when Washington State beat Brown 14-0.

It became a Big 10 vs. Pac 8 (now Pac 10) matchup in 1947, and the Big 10 won 12 of 13 games through 1959. The string of Big 10 vs. Pac 8/10 games was broken in 2002 when it hosted the BCS championship game between Miami and Nebraska.

USC has won the most Rose Bowls, winning 23 in 32 appearances. Michigan, which has the most appearances among Big 10 teams, is 7-11.

"Energy Flows Where Attention Goes" -- James Arthur Ray

I think Frank Ryan might have been Captain of that team...

Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

-----------------
Photobucket

"A PEOPLE THAT VALUES ITS PRIVILEGES OVER ITS PRINCIPLES, SOON LOSES BOTH"

EISENHOWER
World Champion
Picture of NWI
Captain? I thought he was the coach...or at least the offensive coordinator.

State Qualifier
quote:
Originally posted by NWI:
Captain? I thought he was the coach...or at least the offensive coordinator.

Offensive coordinator, Hah. Defenses win championships. Offenses wear out the grass and entertain the alumni. I don't know why these young pups ever got away from the 7 Diamond defense. It was the best defense for stopping the spinning single wing.

Seriously, it is very interesting to see how much a lot of the plays from the "Ultra New" spread offenses resemble the "Ultra Old" spinning single wing. I never played it but have spent a lot of time talking those who played and coached it. Buck Starbuck was the head whistle at Iowa State Teachers College (now University of Northern Iowa) for about 117 years. He died during spring practice while I was a senior in high school so we had a new staff when I started to school that fall. Coach Starbuck had not changed anything in his entire career. His players graduated and went into coaching. (At that time about 65% of the teachers and coaches in Iowa were ISTC grads.) They all coached exactly as he had and they never changed anything. They encouraged their high school players to go to ISTC. When they arrived they knew the offense immediately along with most of their freshman teammates.

That became obvious to me in spring practice of my freshman year. This was before the invention of popcorn or lemonade so things were different. Many colleges ended spring practice with an Alumni Game. That spring the alumni kicked our butts right up between our shoulder blades. The alumni looked like they had been practing together all spring instead of us. They ranged from our graduating seniors to guys in their 40's who I had only heard of through the record books and their accomplishments in high school coaching. When I asked our graduating seniors how many times they had practiced together they told me that they had never seen most those guys before that day.

It will return and that's why I'm holding on to my 7 Diamond notes.
World Champion
Picture of NWI
Does this mean we'll be seeing you at defensive back for UNI's alumni game this spring, Frank???

My money's on you...the Panthers don't have a receiver you can't cover...

quote:
Originally posted by Frank Ryan:
It will return and that's why I'm holding on to my 7 Diamond notes.

??????????????????
??????????????????

I knew he was old but not that old!!!!

Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

-----------------
Photobucket

"A PEOPLE THAT VALUES ITS PRIVILEGES OVER ITS PRINCIPLES, SOON LOSES BOTH"

EISENHOWER