Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  The Back 9    Rules of Grammar
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rules of Grammar Login/Join

Novice
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
Still here, Munster. I've been trying to get some work done and make an honest living, but it get's harder as I get older. Might have to turn to a life of crime, but that usually involves more work than an honest effort. Guess I'll keep plugging away so I can at least get out on weekends.
Beside work, I've been getting ready for the Division II Championships at Kearney. I'm really looking forward to two days of not doing anything but watching wrestling. My wife has been given notice that I'll be indisposed, my research is done, my own personal media guide is finished (got to do the research, you know), and I'm good to go. Should be a lot of fun, especially with the cell phone shut off and locked in a desk drawer back at the office, perhaps in file drawer #13.
See ya'll later.
Novice
Moosehead, glad you are back and not on some wall in a sports bar in Axtell, Nebraska! LOL

Speaking of Rules of Grammar, They call a chicken crossing the road in Holdrege: poultry in motion! Big Grin
Rookie
Picture of Munnster
Language trouble

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The European Union commissioners have announced that agreement has been reached to adopt English as the preferred language for European communications, rather than German, which was the other possibility.

As part of the negotiations, Her Majesty's Government conceded that English spelling had some room for improvement and has accepted a five-year phased plan for what will be known as Euro-English (Euro for short). In the first year, 's' will be used instead of the soft 'c'. Sertainly, sivil servants will resieve this news with joy. Also, the hard 'c' will be replaced with 'k.' Not only will this klear up konfusion, but typewriters kan have one less letter.

There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year, when the troublesome 'ph' will be replaced by 'f'. This will make words like 'fotograf' 20 per sent shorter.

In the third year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible. Governments will enkourage the removal of double letters, which have always ben a deterent to akurate speling. Also, al wil agre that the horible mes of silent 'e's in the languag is disgrasful, and they would go.

By the fourth year, peopl wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing 'th' by 'z' and 'W' by 'V'. During ze fifz year, ze unesesary 'o' kan be dropd from vords kontaining 'ou', and similar changes vud of kors; be aplid to ozer kombinations of leters.

After zis fifz yer, ve vil hav a reli sensibl riten styl. Zer vil b no mor trubls or difikultis and evrivun vil find it ezi tu understand ech ozer. Ze drem vil finali kum tru.
Novice
Munnster, pretty funny! The ironic thing is that I could still read it. What does that say about Munster with one "n"? LOL
Junior High
NWI wrote:

quote:
And I DO enjoy taking 3-5 minutes off my daily shower routine...means 3-5 extra minutes of playing with the snooze button...LOL.

Is that what they're calling it now? That usually wakes me up! Big Grin

Hus
World Champion
Picture of TK
1............2..........3.........wake up Mike Big Grin, guess it was another button Anarchist Big Grin

Novice
Munster, "poultry in motion" is a Swedish thing. At least that's what Sven & Olga told me. The greatest part about moving to Holdrege has been the opportunity to recycle "Polish" jokes and still get a laugh. And I thought the Polish Alps south of Burwell was way out there. There are more characters per square mile in Phelps County than Garfield, Valley, Sherman & Custer County combined. Life is great, life is good! Got to go now. I have a victim all set up at the coffee shop. But coffee, that's a Norweigan story in and of it's self, at least according to Judge Ide.
State Qualifier
[QUOTE]Originally posted by moosehead:
The greatest part about moving to Holdrege has been the opportunity to recycle "Polish" jokes and still get a laugh. QUOTE]

Moosehead,
Do you know how many Polish jokes there are?

quote:
Originally posted by moosehead:
There are more characters per square mile in Phelps County than Garfield, Valley, Sherman & Custer County combined.

I resemble that and I'm the only one who lives on this square mile. Unless you count a couple hundred head of cattle over the winter...

-----------------
Photobucket

"A PEOPLE THAT VALUES ITS PRIVILEGES OVER ITS PRINCIPLES, SOON LOSES BOTH"

EISENHOWER
Novice
I don't think I want to try to answer that one Frank. I may be Polish, but I do know a loaded question when I see one. But do tell us. We do need to know.
State Qualifier
quote:
Originally posted by moosehead:
I don't think I want to try to answer that one Frank. I may be Polish, but I do know a loaded question when I see one. But do tell us. We do need to know.

There are 2 jokes. All the rest are true facts.
Novice
Bwahaha If ain't isn't a word, why is it in the dictionary? No, that ain't no polish joke! LOL
Rookie
Picture of Munnster
1.It is important to use italics for emphasis sparingly.

2. In good writing, for good reasons, under normal circumstances, whenever you can, use prepositional phrases in limited numbers and with great caution.

3. Avoid going out on tangents unrelated to your subject -- not the subject of a sentence -- that's another story (like the stories written by Ernest Hemingway, who by the way wrote the great fisherman story The Old Man and the Sea).

4. Complete sentences. Like rule 10.

5. Unless you're a righteous expert don't try to be too cool with slang to which you're not hip.

6. If you must use slang, avoid out-of-date slang. Right on!
Novice
6. "If you must use slang, avoid out-of-date slang. Right on!" That is soooo trite and out-dated, one must wonder why we don't use "COOL" more often?