Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Huskermat.com Announcements    Huskerland AA Clinics
Page 1 2 

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Huskerland AA Clinics Login/Join

World Champion
Picture of HB
posted

State Qualifier
posted Hide Post
Why wasn't there any Lopers asked to help out with the clinics?

Varsity Letterman
Picture of Bulldog
posted Hide Post
I don't know why UNK doesn't have any wrestlers. My only guess is that UNK (Not Marc Bauer) screwed Huskerland.

Posts: 821 | Location: Sargent, Nebraska | Registered: October 25, 2002Report This Post
Rookie
posted Hide Post
Bulldog - your guess may be the total opposite!!

Rookie
Picture of grapplinman
posted Hide Post
Hi all,

First of all, there is no bad blood between Huskerland and UNK or Kearney.

Secondly, we plan to have these clinics every year and will spread the wealth around. Expect to see some UNK wrestlers in the future. Right now the clinicians need to have wrestled scholastically in Nebraska and they have to be an All American. Our plan will include more schools that UNK for sure.

Lastly, we hope everyone enjoys the free clinics sponsored by Huskerland and AAU. We plan to expand our offerings in the future. If we can afford it, you might see five or six next year. If you would like to be considered to be a host school, please contact our project manager, Jason Cullison! He has done a great job getting this project off the ground....we should be giving him a resounding Kudos for his efforts!

Wouldn't Sargent be a good place to have one of these clinics.....?....... Wink

And Kearney Mat Cat.....bring as many as you can to these clinics; free is free!!!!!!!

Peace out!

Posts: 161 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: December 12, 2002Report This Post
Rookie
posted Hide Post
Free is not free when it comes to Huskerland. Its not free you already paid for it so you better take advantage of it. Last year they said they got a $2 kick back per card from AAU to make the switch from USA so that they could keep the prices down. Now we have to pay more for cards. Then they raise the prices anyway. They charge for coaches bands but anybody can get on the floor. They make you buy a program so you know which mat to wrestle on because they dont post brackets! Clubs have to pay a fee just so their team can get their team score counted. If you dont then they charge an arm and a leg to wreslte in the tournament. They nickel and dime you to death.

Grapplinman you better ask Bauer what he thinks before you speak for him. I heard the same thing that cotton mouth heard. Husklerland walked out and stuck the UNK wrestling program with a big bill.

Junior High
Picture of Cornfed
posted Hide Post
i see we are not getting any out west we offered a site and were told we would get one if we had the site

Posts: 512 | Location: Scottsbluff, NE | Registered: December 06, 2006Report This Post
NCAA Champion
posted Hide Post
hey Rocker....shouldn't this be under "spring and summer camps" like the rest of them?

Fair is fair just like free is free!!!

LOL grapplin man don't you know that "spread the wealth" doesn't lay well with most Nebraskans? Good idea with the clinics though.

Posts: 2006 | Registered: February 03, 2003Report This Post
Varsity Letterman
Picture of Badger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cornfed:
i see we are not getting any out west we offered a site and were told we would get one if we had the site

Email me. No guarantees. I am not trying to step on any toes, but we will see if we can help you out.

pokorny1@cox.net

State Qualifier
posted Hide Post
Thanks but no thanks grapplinman were getting along just fine without Huskerland. We're getting some good training in at UNK with some very talented wrestlers and coaches that just want to see us get to the next level at no cost.

NO AAU CARD REQUIRED ! ! !

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Red Rocker,

Novice
posted Hide Post
Great idea with the free camps. Huskerland might have some costs that ruffle feathers, but many of the big meets do. Don't complain when they are trying to give back with something like this.

Plainview would like to host one next year. It would be very well supported by our town and surrounding area.

Rookie
posted Hide Post
This being the first year this AA clinic is being held, I think it is safe to say starting out small, and growing it, will be the best thing to do. You can't go out and put on 10 camps all over Nebraska, and expect kids (whose parents already planned out their summer financial situation regarding summer wrestling) to show up out in west Nebraska. Although the cost is free, the transportation is not for those driving up to 40 miles each way. So starting small, and building in years to come, is the best approach from about any perspective.

I support anything that will help advance wrestling in the state of Nebraska. So, thank you, grapplinman and Jason Cullison, for helping advance and support wrestling in this great state.

Rookie
posted Hide Post
Curious to see how many will attend!

Rookie
Picture of grapplinman
posted Hide Post
Hi again all,

Gee whiz, MatCat......no need to do any name callin in here. I am not sure what I have done to deserve such negativity. I am happy for your training at UNK; this is a resource you SHOULD use! And as far as the card goes, I know some of your wrestlers already have the card, so why not roll over to Amherst and see what is going on? Can't hurt. I often wonder why you are so negative on this AAU thing when Tom McCann is one of the great supporters of this organization; I think Tom is pretty highly respected in the wrestling circles or am I wrong?

I would like to respond to 05 for a second. If you are going to talk finances and all, make sure you have your facts straight and make sure that what you say at least resembles fact. It used to cost well over $20 to go to Huskerland, and that price was reduced this past year. This is a clear savings to the entrants. Actually on the coaching band issue, it isn't much different getting a coaching band or paying gate. If you go to any other MAJOR tournaments, the tournament passes are $35 or more. The floor situation is being worked out. Some problems come with a new arena. Club dues are club dues whether you belong to Huskerland or USA or any organization. With your club dues, Huskerland gave each club free insurance for their practice site and for their tournaments. That is clearly worth the price of being a member club. The $2 increase in cards is pretty insignificant. If you look at cost increases across the board in our economy today, that two bucks is miminal in comparison. Trust me on that one.

So nickel and dime.....you have got to be kidding me. We now offer free insurance, have lowered our prices, and are offering free clinics...and you call that nickel and dime? Must be the money you could have saved by buying geico!

And about the UNK thing......I talk to Bauer and he has said nothing to me. If he had a problem, he can call me. As far as I know, there is no bad blood. Kearney VB even made a visit to Hastings to inquire about getting Huskerland back.

So stay cool, 05, some of us are out there trying to make a difference, the question is.....are you?

Posts: 161 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: December 12, 2002Report This Post
Rookie
posted Hide Post
No need to get all crazy. Matcat if you have a beef with Denson why don't you call him and talk to him instead of posting snide remarks on here. Are you agaisnt Huskerland because of him or somehthing else? Next, the cost of Huskerland is what it is. Anyone can complain about the costs if they want, but until you offer up solutions they don't really help. Last thing is we are trying to get Scottsbluff in the bag with a camp and Todd Meneely will be the clinician. I will leave you all with this, I am not saying Huskerland is perfect but the do try to benifit kids. IF you don't believe that your crazy. Check the books they are open. Tons of money has been spent on kids!!!!!! Can any other orgaization say that in Nebraska?

<knights wrestling>
posted
Has Huskerland ever put together any dual teams to travel to events. As far as i know the answer would be NO.They run their dual tourney for money for them. Be ware AAU itself is a joke and Bob Johnson is a joke. when i seen him last year at huskerland i knew there was trouble. Look @ SD aau He has made that a headache. You can not even coach your own kid in SD aau state unless they have change. The only real and true state championship in NE is USA. How many State tourneys you got to were you do not have weight classes etc . It will not belong and huskerland will be no longer in NE. I tried to address this at there so called open meeting last year at the glorified weekend tourney they call state and could not believe the response got.Thank goodness we only wrestled huskerland as a 8th grader. Had always heard what a joke it was and boy were they right. Well good luck to all who have to deal with this organization

Report This Post
Novice
Picture of huzker
posted Hide Post
All Huskerland is doing is trying to get kids on the mat. Not taking them off. All this fuss is keeping angry dads around the state from going to these tournaments hosted by other organizations. If they don't like the organization, well then their kid isn't wrestling in that tournament. It's too bad for the son who might want to wrestle there and get more matches. Nearly anyone can wrestle in Huskerland Tournament which broadens our sport and gets more kids involved in a big tournament setting. Good Grief. No wonder there are so many parents with young kids teeter tottering on the decision to get there youngster involved in club wrestling. They go to tournaments and see crazy parents yelling at refs or even at the other youngster or hearing from word of mouth about how bad all these organizations are at what they do. If an un-educated young parent were to here some of these things that are said on this forum face to face, then no way are they going to get their youngster out on the mat. They're going to go straight to Foot Locker and grab some Kobe or Lebron shoes and turn them into a pumpkin pusher. Lets get kids on the mat rather than taking kids off.

Rookie
posted Hide Post
Grapplinman, Last years price was $18 this year was $20. According to my math that is raising the price not lower. $2 per card is cheep you say. Times 70 club members is $140 out of our club. Since AAUs giving Huskerland a $2 kick back it all goes to Huskerland. $140 is a lot with todays economy and our club could do something else with that money. Plus club dues at 40, 60 or 80 depends on when you sign up. Our club is paying around $200 for your free insurance. I may be to busy to be involved and make a difference as you say but that does not mean I cant recognize a snake oil salesman when I see one. "Get your free club insurance here all you got to do is pay 200 dollars and its free." I am not saying the camps are a bad thing. I am just saying we paid in advance for them.

Rookie
posted Hide Post
Has the question ever been answered in regard to the Huskerland state meet - "Why don't they have weight classes in each weight division?" If 18 kids are in the bracket then wrestle it out. Also, having an official weigh-in is necessary as well. I hope the excuse isn't time and organization.

Varsity Letterman
Picture of Bulldog
posted Hide Post
Well I am glad to see the state isn't divided as usual enraged. People gripe about Huskerland and all they can come up with is 30 man brackets and weigh-ins and more stuff to drive the ordinary wrestling family away. Most folks don't want to spend 12 hours in a gym and that is a fact and the way Huskerland is set up you can be in and out in about 3 hours. If you have what you beleive is an elite wrestler than go to the Midwest classic if 64 man brackets is your cup of tea. I attend both and they both have benefits. I appreciate Coach Bauer for hosting the Classic and I appreciate the Huskerland board for what it does. You know I have a bigger problem in this state with the club coaches, 1/2 of them have no idea what they are yelling at these young wrestlers and the way they treat officials is a joke as well. Maybe I see things through a different light as I run everything club, Jr.High and High School and the last thing I want to do especially in a small school is discourage and take opportunities away from kids. BTW to the posters who bash anyone who isn't gung ho 12 months a year everything wrestling guess what there are other sports and kids need to participate in these as well. Pick up your baseball glove and bat and ball this time of year and play ball, in the fall when the leaves are starting to fall grab that pigskin and let it fly and be a well rounded person.
Just my two cents, but I sleep well at night with my reasoning.

Posts: 821 | Location: Sargent, Nebraska | Registered: October 25, 2002Report This Post