Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
steroids Login/Join

Rookie
posted   Report This Post  
What is everyones stance on drug testing in high school sports?
Junior High
Picture of Cornfed
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
should be mandatory
Novice
Picture of stormfan
Why? This would add costs to school districts that are short on money anyway. How widespread do you think steriod use is?
Rookie
Random?
Junior High
Picture of Cornfed
our problem isnt with steroids but with all of the recreational drugs being used. seems like we get one bad kid and they take 2 or 3 others that arent smart enough to think for themselves down with them.
Rookie
I think that there are a lot of highschool athletes that take part in steroid use. why wouldn't they if they aren't tested?
Rookie
I believe their should be a cheap easy test that when they check urine at physicals they could test and make a heavy consequence for testing positive
Novice
I am for it and think the NSAA should pay for it. I do not, however, think that steroid use is that wide spread in high school wrestling. Recreational drug use would have a much higher occurrence rate.
Rookie
What are you talking about when you say "recreational drugs"? Do I need to wacth my kids?
Junior High
Man, why do we want to keep punishing people!
We keep coming back to the issue of kids doing something wrong. Yet the only ones who get punished are athletes. If the everyday joe in the hall were doing drugs and gets caught no skin off his back.
Yet we aren't going to 'test' him. We just want to test the kids who are already trying to do whats right.
The coach has this kid in the room everyday, and he should be sending a message to do the right thing. The kid, hopefully, eventually will get the message and make the right choices.
Whatever happened to free will?
When is the government going to get out of our lives.

It seems to me that there are so many liberty loving red blooded american conservatives on this board...
yet we keep wanting to infringe on people's private lives!!!!
Which are you?????

I have had my share of kids who weren't what you guys consider good kids. Most of them have come back and told me how much they appreciated what I was trying to get them to do...and they have seen the light...even if they may still not make the best choices...
That is what we are supposed to do...educate them...give them choices and opportunity.

Not incarcerate them by our actions.
Junior High
btw
I know Mike Denney tests at UNO.
2 differences:
1. He is not the government, it's his team.
2. He is at the college level.
Rookie
you can not even get one set alcohol policy for all schools from the state.
texas had testing it lasted a year.the reason it was canceled was cost.

hell yes we need testing in all sports but nsaa has no backbone
Junior High
How can the NSAA have a backbone?
Parents don't, which is why the NSAA is in trouble.
It's not the governments job to raise our kids.
Junior High
Picture of Cornfed
why do we have to act like high school kids are 2 years old and dont know right from wrong? they know whats right and CHOOSE to do it anyway.
Rookie
I graduated about four years ago and even then people would have been surprised to know how many high school athletes were using steriods. I can only imagine that the number has risen because we don't test for them. I think it is very unfair for these athletes to get away with it when there are others who train hard without using illegal drugs. Im sure there are lots of schools in Nebraska that dont have a steriod use problem but there are also many that do. I think a test would be a good idea as long as it is random and not done at a predictable time like physical or hydration checks
Rookie
Honestly I have a hard time believing that there are that many kids out there taking steroids. Sure I suppose there are some, but maybe i'm just naive to the situation.

I can't even think of a single kid that we've seen this year at any tournament that I would question him using steroids.
Rookie
There are many ways/reasons to support and justify mandatory drug testing. The fundamental problem that I have with mandatory testing of all kids is that you're treating all kids as though they've done something wrong. Having said that, I still check up on my kids even though they've never given me cause to. And if we don't test kids that aren't in extra curricular activities then we're saying "Well we don't really care what you do." Not to mention that it's an added expense to an already strained school budget. It's a tough call either way. But at least for now, I'm opposed.
Rookie
Fellow Wrestling Enthusiasts, I personally believe that there is no illegal steroid use among high school wrestlers in Western Nebraska. As a former bodybuilder and gym owner, I may not know wrestling, but I sure know the human muscular system and what it takes to enhance it. At Maxwell no one is fanatical in the weight room and it shows. In the last four years attending high school meets, I have observed perhaps ten wrestlers that had gone beyond what is required during "Summer weights" to achieve fanatical results. Unfortunately these are the kids that would be singled out questioned and tested. Don't give me the "random" crap. How did these ten wrestlers achieve their physiques? Hard work and most likely with the help of legal supplements. Creatine, L-Arginine, whey protein, etc. are just a few of the supplemnts that can be purchased legally at Wal-Mart and these supplements play a very small part in the strength building process. A high protein, high calorie diet will virtually achieve the same results. However, there comes a time during a high intensity strength building routine that the placebo effect of these muscle building supplements play a big role. As we know, the strongest wrestler does not always win. Experience and quickness are more important. For wrestlers that were late entries into the sport of wrestling, strength is the one factor they can get on their side in months, not years. A lot of this steroid hysteria comes from the father of a wrestler that has been wrestling since the age of four and he gets knocked off by a kid that is stronger and only wrestled since the age of twelve. In the end, experience usually wins out.
Rookie
Well said MaxCat. Since when did good 'ole weight lifting become a time to be suspicious of a kid. However, I will take it one step past Western Nebraska. I don't think Steroids play a part in smaller schools like class C or D. I can't remember seeing a kid at any of our meets that would raise suspicion to me. I can't speak for bigger schools because we don't see them on a regular basis.

"Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts." -Dan Gable
Rookie
Picture of warria_189
quote:
Originally posted by SelanipMr:
Random?

How come we don't have the like button for comments like on facebook?

Warrior: an image symbolizing one aspect of a great force, that if handeled properly, can win you many battles, but if neglected, can rise up and be your nemesis
-Bruce Lee