Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    What's Your First Varsity Match Experience?

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
What's Your First Varsity Match Experience? Login/Join

Novice
Picture of Kalhoun
posted   Report This Post  
I thought this might be a good post season topic for people to enjoy...

Although my match was many moons ago, I can still remember it. I was wrestling 155 my freshman year and when the 167 lber got hurt and his season was over, I jumped up to my natural weight and wrestled varsity there.

My first match was a dual and the nerves skyrocketed when it was getting to be my time. But I actually handled him well and won. I wish I could say it was smooth from there on, but it wasn't. Our conference happened to be as tough as nails that year at my "new" weight and I was put into many pin combos. I never got pinned that year though. I did learn how to avoid the painful predicaments the following season though.
Junior Varsity
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
My first match was at 125 in the opening dual of my freshman year. The seniors had a little fun with me and tried telling me that the kid I was going to wrestle was a stud and a returning state qualifier. We went out to shake hands at introductions and the kid did not look very imposing, but the seniors insisted he was good. I ended up taking him down off the whistle and pinning him in about a minute. I knew he wasn't that good and when I came off the mat the guys that told me he was good were all laughing at me for getting worked up. He ended up being about 1-20 on the season, but he is a really nice kid. I have hung out with him a few times the last couple of years.
Junior High
Picture of pick125
Our coach was thinking about putting Jason and myself into the jv bracket, he wasn't sure if we were ready physically for high school. He threw us into the varsity bracket at York to see how we would do. My parents were scrambling when they got to the tournament, they had no idea what to expect. Then they called Jason and myself on deck, and a realization came to my parents. We would wrestle at the same time, and we have done on many occasions. I remember our matches but my mom taped the matches and it was classic watching again.

My mom started taping my match, she was talking the whole time, saying how she didn't understand why I was wrestling before jason even though I was wrestling at 112 and he at 103. She kept switching from each match, if action was going on she would tape on that match. I hit a takedown to the kid's back, and was pinning him when all of a sudden my mom freaks out and starts shaking the camera. My brother had just pinned his kid and she was celebrating, meanwhile I pinned my kid about 10 seconds afterward. She didn't have either of our first pins on tape!

The result is not how a man should be measured, the means at which he gets there is what matters.
Novice
Picture of pinmachine
My first match was a tough one. Platteview Dual is our first every year. First match of the night I wrestled Jason Katusin. I think the match ended up being something like a 1-0 win for myself. That was also the first time I had ever beat him. We wrestled later in the year and I came out on top 9-2. We never wrestled a high school match after that. Nice guy and nice family.

"Summer wrestling makes Winter champions."
Novice
Picture of Kalhoun
Some Good stories so far, keep 'em coming!
State Champion
Picture of deano
My first match was when I was a frosh and got the opportunity to wrestle DJ Lyons who was a senior from Rushville and ended up winning state that year. I was told by my coach that I wasn't allowed to ride him so I was taking him down and letting him up. Going into the third it was 6-3 me then he caught me in his freaking cow-catcher and stuck me. It taught me a great lesson though, always keep my elbows in. Never did get another chance to wrestle him as he moved down in weight class the next week, would have liked another shot.

Peace

Deano
Junior Varsity
Picture of Stat Boy
MSN does not support status - click here for the profile.
I never had a varsity experience yet but I had a great experience in my first match ever.

It was in the 6th grade and i never wrestled a match before and I always went to practice, i missed the last two weeks of practice before our first dual because I came down with mono and I weighed about 135.

I was still so sick the day of our meet, that morning i weighed my self and i weighed about 95 lbs.

I was so sick, I loved wrestling so I went to school that day, sick, just so I could wrestle, I ended wrestling varsity that day but only because the 95 lb kid was sick too, i wrestled the kid, i got a quick take down

I felt like i had no energy but i wrestled cause i loved it, and then i got called for stalling twice, and then end the end of the 1st peiod it was 2-2, nobody scored in the 2nd or the 3rd, and then it was overtime, I was told by my coach that the first one to score in overtime wins.

So i used all of my energy and got an escape, then i thought i won cause everybody was clapping for me.

Then out of nowhere i get slammed on the ground, and I thought what the hell is going on.

I got up and got in this kids face wondering why he slammed me and he said he won, i said i won but i guess my coach was wrong, the ref said whoever has the most points at the end of the OT wins.

I was so mad and my coach said he was sorry, we ended wrestling at the end of the year in the championship and i teched him 15-0.

I was so mad i lost though.

It was a great match.

The Stat Boy

Junior High
Picture of PitBullJim
quote:
the ref said whoever has the most points at the end of the OT wins

What set of rules was this?

HEADSTRONG: It's an especially apt, single-word description for the fearless approach to life - a stubborn, uncompromising dedication to doing it your own way, regardless of the consequences.
Junior Varsity
Picture of Stat Boy
I don't even know the rules on this but i was extremely mad.

The Stat Boy

Rookie
Picture of Loper
Stat Boy-
I think you may have been having a dream. It sounds like a good match, fantasy, but still a good match. Im pretty much doubting that unless you weighed about 300lbs, that you lost forty in a week, and if you did, how were u able to keep that weight off for two weeks and wrestle him again if sickness allowed you to lose the weight in the first place. Now, Im gonna play the shananigans card on you, but I wont hold it against you if you tell us the real story.

"Show me a man that is thoroughly satisfied and I'll show you a failure."
Junior Varsity
Picture of Stat Boy
i am not lying, i lost 40 lbs in two weeks, we ended wrestling a week later after i gain about 13 lbs and he had to move up a weight, we ended up wrestling in a regular season tournament and i won 15-0, it's no lie, it is true.

The Stat Boy

Rookie
I wrestled for 4 years trying to make the varsity, but I was just a short, fat kid. As I grew older, hormones started to kick in and I got a bit stronger. Wrestled a lot on the JV for 3 years, and had a few wins, and some really embarassing losses. Senior year was my last chnace, but my friend was varsity ahead of me (state runner-up the year before, so realisically, there was no way I could beat him.) Thought about quitting in the middle of my senior year, but gave it one more try. Talked my friend into bumping down a weight class (pretty common in those days towards the end of the season) and make room for me. He agreed, and the coach OK'd it.

I remember vividly putting on that varsity uniform for the first time. I felt like Clark Kent stepping out of the phone booth as Superman. I pinned the poor fish who had the bad luck to be my opponenet in the second period. Unfotunately, the super powers wore off, but that is a much longer story for another time.
Junior High
Picture of PitBullJim
quote:
i am not lying, i lost 40 lbs in two weeks

Heck of a weight loss in two weeks... that's better than Atkin's, Slim Fast, Weight Watchers, South Beach, it's even better than Jared on Subway!

HEADSTRONG: It's an especially apt, single-word description for the fearless approach to life - a stubborn, uncompromising dedication to doing it your own way, regardless of the consequences.
Rookie
Picture of Loper
yah statboy, i think you should start to campaign for wrestlers to use mono as means of weight loss. you could be the poster child.

"Show me a man that is thoroughly satisfied and I'll show you a failure."
Junior Varsity
Picture of Stat Boy
your funny loper, and the only way they will be able to use that is if someone wants to be a heavy weight but he can't beat the current heavy weight cause he's like an all-american then he can drop down to 215 on mono.

The Stat Boy

Junior Varsity
Picture of Stat Boy
was this ref wrong or was my coach wrong, i really mad, who was right

The Stat Boy

State Qualifier
I made varsity about halfway through the season my freshman year at Howells.We had a dual with Fremont Bergan.I was so pumped at the start, I couldn't believe it.It was the first match my folks ever got to see me wrestle.I was a 98 pounder, so I was the 1st match. (no draw for weightclass back then). I went out agressive, took the kid down and pinned him.Then the next week in another dual,same result, a 1st period pin.The next night,a friday,which was the evening before the conference meet, as we were on our way into town to watch a Howells/Clarkson BB game we (my family) were hit headon by a drunk driver.My Dad was killed, and Mom,sister,and 5 brothers and I were all hospitolized.My season was over and my life took a downward turn for a while.The next three years I was varsity,and I never lost a conference match.To this day, whenever I think of my Dad, I always feel good that the only two matches he saw,I pinned my opponant.
Rookie
I know its not a varsity story, but you might enjoy it. Waaay back in the day, Bennington had a freshman/sophmore tournament. As 7th & 8th graders, my dad used to sign me, my brothers, and some of our other club kids up as freshmen so we could wrestle in the tournment. I couldn't crack our high school varsity line up as a freshman or sophmore so I wrestled in that tournament 4 years in a row. No one ever questioned us.

Back then the periods were 1-1-1 until you got to high school. That first match at 2-2-2 darn near killed me.