Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Robles Login/Join

Junior High
posted   Report This Post  
Like trying to wrestle a cobra: Coils, clamps on, and leaves nothing to grab. A technique that needs to be studied.
Rookie
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
I agree dswitz that he runs his technique to a higher level then almost all two legged wrestlers. I am amazed by his accomplishments but I have to say he looks to be the size of a 149 or 157 pounder in his arms and back. I think that is why he turns people so easily.
Junior High
Picture of BLASCHKO
They said he can bench 315 pounds and do 100 pull ups in two minutes.
World Champion
Picture of NWI
I about fell off the couch when I heard that - a guys weighs 125 pounds and can lift 2 2/3 TIMES that??? Holy cats!!!

"Energy Flows Where Attention Goes" -- James Arthur Ray
Junior High
Warrior:

I have actually heard guys say ( at last year's D-1 nationals ) that he has an advantage because that extra thirty pounds that he lost without his leg, he has regained in his upper body making him a 157 pounder from the waist up... believe it or not!
Junior High
The advantage Robles had over his opponents was his ability to turn a bad thing to his advantage. This guy just made the impossible come true. A one legged national champion. Unbelievable!
Rookie
The guy is a stud! That tilt he used is just amazing. He made a returning national champ look like an average joe. One of the best sports stories of the year in my opinion.

Did I hear he is a senior? Where has he been?
Novice
I watched him wrestle last year at nationals. I believe he got 3rd or so. I think its hard to say he has and advantage without having a leg but due to the weight it definetly gives him the chance. You can't take anything away from this guy.
Junior High
Picture of BLASCHKO
He got 7th as a Sophomore and 4th last year. He lost to Nickerson from Conrell for the 3rd and 4th mathch.
Junior High
Anybody who has ever been to a granby clinic with coach mccurdy or coach bonge or coach ciccone or coach davenport, knows that the tilt is called a 'churella'.
Junior High
quote:
Originally posted by BLASCHKO:
He got 7th as a Sophomore and 4th last year. He lost to Nickerson from Conrell for the 3rd and 4th mathch.

You got your years flip flopped Blaschko, he got 7th last year losing to Nickerson in the cons-semis then beating Triggas. 4th in 2009, losing to Donahoe in the semis, then Precin for 3/4. A heckuva run regardless.
Junior High
As I recall, his match with Donahoe was a nail biter. Donahoe finally got smart in the 3rd period, by not tying up and started using his feet to go from side to side. Donahoe barely pulled it off. Robles won everyone's respect after that match.
State Qualifier
He has developed more strength this year but I think the big thing is that he has learned to wrestle with "no legs". Last year people moved side to side on him and then snapped and spun. I thought McDonough could do that. He sits down on his left leg and there is nothing to grab as you spin around on him. He is so strong that he reaches out when people spin on him, stops them with his great strength, and they have nothing to pull themselves around with. He is a great wrestler and cetainly a great inspiration but I was surprised to see the official let him stay in a 2 on 1 ride for 20-30 seconds in the second period with no stall warning.
Rookie
Picture of warria_189
I can honestly say that Robles really has inspired me when he took the NCAA championship. Just the way he has overcome so much in his life to win it all. But he is looking into a prosthetic leg now that his career is over.

Warrior: an image symbolizing one aspect of a great force, that if handeled properly, can win you many battles, but if neglected, can rise up and be your nemesis
-Bruce Lee
Rookie
If I recall reading, Robles now wants to concentrate his efforts in public/motivational speaking. Someone needs to get a hold of him and get him here to speak. He can get his start on public speaking in front of the University of Nebraska Board of Regents!!!
Junior High
aybarra123,

Brilliant suggestion!

Donations could go towards paying for Robles's travel expenses. Can't think of any strategy that would bring more public attention to the UNO cause.