Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
best fans Login/Join

<Guest>
posted   Report This Post  
who do you think has the best overall fans in NE?
<DH44>
Well i always thought they were annoying but Kearney has always had great fans. They always make their presence known at state. I wish every school had that kind of support
World Champion
Picture of NWI
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
...being that I'm all about Nebraska wrestling as a whole -- however, I would have to say that, for as small a town as it is, Winside has probably the best fan support in the state.

If there is any doubt that Winside is a wrestling town, go to one of the bars in town on a Saturday night in the winter and listen to what the discussion centers around. They're not talking basketball in Winside...it's all about wrestling.

Kearney may have a bigger crowd, which only stands to reason, and they get up for their kids like nobody else among the big schools. But if you moved Winside up to Class A and enlarged their fan size accordingly, they'd make Kearney look like a ladies' tea party.

Again, I'm not putting Kearney's fans down, because when a Kearney kid is on the mat there is absolutely no doubt where the Kearney fans are. And there are a ton of great wrestling fan bases out there from all over the state. But fan for fan from what I've seen over the years, I'd have to say that Winside probably has the best fan support of any in the state.

For what it's worth...

Can't speak for the Winside folk Mikey but I have to put in a shameless plug for the Kearney bunch. You never know what to expect out of them come Saturday at the State Tournament, they always show up in some outfit that you would never expect. Big Grin

RR
<guest77>
i would totally put my vote in for kearney.. no matter if their kids win or lose they are always supportive..and totally dedicated to the sport..
World Champion
Picture of NWI
Rocker...They're always wearing something colorful, so you know right away where they're at in the stands. It's funny to see them rise as one when one of their kids wins a match...sort of like a tidal wave of flourescent blue and yellow popping up out of the B section.

There are a lot of great fan groups out there year in and year out. It's hard to pick one over the other.
<shrug>
Kearney would definitely be one of the best supported teams. Their fans are vocal, supportive yet friendly. They know wrestling and appreciate a fine performance from any wrestler including opponents. Columbus also ranks right up their with their support and attendance. They also have friendly fans who everyone enjoys getting to know. It is fun having rivals who are also fine people - both Kearney and Columbus qualify!
<Guest>
okay then who has the worst fans
World Champion
Picture of NWI
Do you?

Save that garbage for the PrepReport board.
Junior Varsity
Picture of S0404
AIM: Online Status For Spartan69ALM04
Too bad ya cant talk about the subject without things gettin so hostile... cuz i think it is an issue that does need to be brought up. Cuz i know there was alot of terrible sportsmanship throughout last season that should be addressed to hopefully improve on in years to come.
<timmerk>
Winside doesn't get my vote. I remember a few years back when my nephew was competing in State. We had his signs on the side of the highway and caught a carload of Winside "fans" tearing it down. When we stopped to break up the fun the took off in a rush. We followed them to Lincoln that year and got to enjoy the view of a few teens mooning us. Soooo.... Can't say they get my vote.
Now if you wanna talk individual/family all time best fans - My vote is for the Pickett family. They have a great following at each tourney and return the favor to their youngest cousin when he's wrestling in the kid's program. Wonderful people.
World Champion
Picture of NWI
Don't paint with a broad brush when talking about a few bad apples in the bushel of fans of any school. Unfortunately, the acts of a few dingbats tend to make us want to generalize that one community's fans are full of jerks, a-holes, or whatever. And at one point in time, odds are good that we've all done things as fans that we'd like to undo.

That's why saying one school's fans is better/worse than the other is open to interpretation on a number of levels and it's hard to say which is the best overall.
<C-BUS Fan>
i dindt know that being a great fan ment that you got your whole town to wear an ugly t-shirt and do the same chants for every wrestler.

Go brandon GO
Go reese GO
go blank go

if we are talkin outfits though i used to like it when the hot chicks in our school would wear our old singlets to our duals.

oh and by the way we have to best fans PERIOD
<panther>
That is a matter of perspective.We've been abused down in C town a few times.
World Champion
Picture of NWI
I recall a dual a few years back where Columbus kids were ALL OVER a couple of Norfolk wrestlers as the dual got close down the stretch and remember some Columbus administrators having to step in to restore some sense of order (which is quite a challenge considering the nature of the rivalry).

As I said...every group of fans has its dingbats and jerks. Those seem to really stick out depending on the nature of the rivalry, and they seem to come out of the woodwork for the really intense ones.

Frankly, I think Norfolk and Columbus could hook up in a game of Old Maid and you'd see an unruly mob make its presence known. Those are two schools who really strap it on tight no matter what sport you're talking about.
Rookie
Picture of Ace
G.I. from what I have seen in class A. I don't agree with Winside in class D.
<Gators175>
When it comes to football and basketball, I'd say Creighton Prep has the loudest fans. They are more into the games than any other school's fans. Don't know about wrestling. Haven't been to any of their duals.
<C-BUS Fan>
Last year at the G.I. dual we traveled more people to the dual than they had in there home crowd. i wouldnt put them under consideration.
<DH44>
definitely if you want to talk about fan per capita you can never look past Rushville. People are just insane there. What kind of school almost drops a basketball program because everyone goes out for wrestling. Great fans that know a lot about the sport, and watch it every chance they get. but i guess it is easy to watch a team that wins a lot
<Radio guy>
When we broadcast the state wrestling tournament on our A.M. station and it gets late enough for us to have to go to low power, therefore not allowing our signal to reach far enough for all the Rushville fans...dozens of them will get in their vehicles and drive West far enough to pick up our signal and just pull off the side of the road and listen to the action. Now that's what I call dedication. Hats off to coach Urbach and coach Sones for building a great program...it hasn't always been at that level. The wrestlers, families, friends, and fans are other big reasons for the success of their program, right along with a good kid's program. One of Rushville's key elements is their conditioning program...they are so aggressive at the beginning whistle, and you almost never see them get tired. They will probably be down some from the last three years, but don't count them out of anything if you can help it!