Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    Border Brawl

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Border Brawl Login/Join

Rookie
Picture of superman_130
posted   Report This Post  
I was wondering if there is going to be a 3rd Annual Border Brawl between nebraska and iowa this year, and if so when and where will the event take place? Thanks

World Champion
Picture of HB
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
I think when Fergola left, the concept left with him. I don't know if the new Dana coach has shown any interest.
State Qualifier
I know the SSC coaches had the beginnings of a fabulous multi-state post season event in the works, had a fabulous venue, and a many-thousand dollar underwriting agreement with Tyson, but were shot down by the NSAA who said any Nebraska kid who competed would be inellibeble for spring sports.From the horses mouth.
Rookie
Picture of 189MOM
Why not form a wrestling club and have the club sponsor the event?
Junior High
Panther, you just don't seem to realize that the priority here is the maintenance of rules enacted by guys-and I mean all males- who value 1957 more than 2009.
State Qualifier
dswitz,I guess I need to go to law school, but I dont know what that post means? I'm guessing sarcasm, but fill me in ?
Rookie
Picture of superman_130
So...you're telling me Panther that every wrestler involved in the Border Brawl the last 2 years didn't participate in a spring sport?...cause that's hard to believe. And anyways most dedicated wrestlers don't give a crap about a spring sport anyways so let them wrestle some Iowa kids. Come on I just want to see Bridgeford roll up some Iowa 4xer in his pink singlet!!!
State Qualifier
Somehow, the Border Brawl with 1 state, and the multi-state event they were trying to put together were looked at differently.Maybe a SSC guy in the know could provide more insight....that is all I know.
Rookie
Picture of abcoach
From the NSAA wrestling manual:

"3.6.1 No member school shall permit its students to compete in any all-star contest nor be a member of any all-star team. No athletic team from any member school shall compete against any all-star team. A student violating this rule shall be declared ineligible for all interscholastic competition for a period of one year from the date of last offense."

And they define all-star as "a player or players chosen on the basis of their individual accomplishments or reputation gained while competing in interschool competition. YMCA, YWCA, AAU, USVBA, etc. teams which are organized
between sports seasons by individuals or clubs, or individuals selected through a designated try-out session shall not be considered as all-star competition."

So if you wrestle in the Border Brawl, you cannot compete in the spring sports season. Which is why the NSWCA All Star meet takes place after the seniors have graduated.
Junior High
Panther: I am supporting you and the tournament and, as usual, lambasting the NSAA for their antiquated ideology.
State Qualifier
Thanks Dswitz,....it just went over my head.
State Qualifier
I just bumped the thread "Nebraska-Kansas Throwdown" because I wanted clarification on a rule. Check Ivy League's post in that thread and compare it to abcoach's post in this thread. It appears that the difference is that it's legal if anyone can compete instead of an "all star" competition.

What do you coaches who have had kids compete in the Border Brawl and similar events know about this?
Varsity Letterman
Picture of Badger
If you are invited to compete it is considered an "All Star" event and that would make you ineligible for other sports. If you sign up on your own it is not considered an "All Star" event. For example, Senior Nationals is not an "All Star" event and athletes can still compete in other spring sports. The Border Brawl was an "All Star" event and those that competed were no longer eligible for spring sports.
State Qualifier
Thanks, Badger. I assume that since the Nebraska-Kansas Throwdown is restricted to state placerwinners that's an invitation. Right?