Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    brackets at state

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
brackets at state Login/Join

<Yawgmoth>
posted   Report This Post  
i think the current way they do brackets at state is gay. they should do seedings instead of draws. wuts everyone elses opinion on this?
Junior Varsity
Picture of Stat Boy
MSN does not support status - click here for the profile.
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
I do agree with you on this one Yawgmoth, i think they definitley should seedings instead of draws, i think if they did seedings everyone would get a fair shot, and so nobody gets screwed over.

The Stat Boy

Rookie
I say, keep it as is.
Personally, if you are going to be a state champion or even a medalist, you should be better than the other competition. I would rather have Nebraska state champions be better not just luckier than the rest of the competition.
Junior High
Picture of green goblin
I say combine all 4 classes. 64 man brackets.

The same 64 wrestlers as would get in anyway (16 per class), all in one single awe-inspiring bracket. It would be like the NCAA tournament; except one monster bracket per weight-class.

Wrestlers could make the sweet 16, the elite 8, the final 4, and then the championship.

Then ... it would make sense to have 8 place winners.

Let the other sports have 4 "state champions"; let wrestling stand alone in greatness by crowning a single state champion (per weight).

If somebody is a "4 time state champion" after that is in place; it would really be something.

Can you see it? I can. It's a beautiful thing. Smile

"there can be only one" (per weight class) Smile
Junior High
GG, that would be pretty cool!

But, I don't see it happening.

I say we leave it as is, unless we go to the goblins format.
Even DII uses a similar format, they don't seed it. How long would the state seeding meeting take? Holy Cow!
<YPhixer>
posted   Report This Post  
1 State champ per weight class wouldn't work, without a major change in the way qualifiers are determined. Taking the top 16 from each class is only going to cause the argument of the 17th best wrestler in Class A being better than one of the top 16 wrestlers in Class D -- or vise versa. How would you determine the qualifiers? Have four huge district tourny's? Or do it like the NAIA does, and have an unlimited number of qualifier's as long as you place in certain qualifing tournaments!

I say just leave it as it is.
Junior High
Picture of green goblin
I don't think the single state champion per weight idea will be used any time soon. It's just too big of a change. It would take a huge demand from the wrestling community to make it happen.

However, if it was done ... I think the idea of taking 16 from each class is reasonable. There is no pleasing everyone; no matter what you do. I think you can live with the complaints.

Maybe you don't have "the best 64" of the entire state ... but you have "the best" wrestlers in the entire state there. If you don't finish in the top 4 at districts, you don't make it. Same as today.

Anyway; the issue to me ... is how to set up the brackets.

You could do it as it is done now ... and end up with basically 4 champions of A, B, C and D ... and those 4 are the semi-finalists.

If that was done; it would be no different from what is already done today ... other than determining a champion from those final 4.

I am not sure that is the best way to go.

I think seeding the 64 would make better sense; but imagine the work required. It would take some real effort to properly seed 64 wrestlers ... and then multiply that by 14 weight classes. Whoa!

Now you would definately get complaints on that! Smile No matter what you do ... there would be complaints about the seeding.