Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    Seeding Meeting
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Seeding Meeting Login/Join

Rookie
Picture of Bieber2030
posted   Report This Post  
Can anyone beat a four hour seeding meeting?
NCAA All American
Picture of chiefMTstorm
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
What I don't understand is.............. it only would have taken 45 minutes IF, and I mean IF, there was a results page on some website that had a wrestler's wins and losses recorded for the public (or coaches) to see. Every wrestler in the state, on a database, that has his/her wins and losses. We shouldn't have to read our losses during the meeting, it should be common knowledge and right at your fingertips! Have two or three intelligent individuals do a pre-seed meeting. Send that pre-seed out to all coaches and see who disagrees with it, and why, via email. Get together on a night (or the day of), go through a couple of cafeteria things, draw some byes and head home in time to tuck the kids into bed............ I don't get why this cant happen!

Rick Henry

World Champion
Picture of NWI
I agree, Rick...the NSAA doesn't seem to have any trouble getting scores for volleyball and basketball to help with its seeding, so it would stand to reason that such a system could be utilized to document each wrestler's wins and losses throughout the season.

Then again...this IS the NSAA we're talking about, which might be the reason why it can't happen that you're wondering about. They're going to update weight classes as each one is finished this year...which is something we did every year with NWI back in the day. Our brackets were updated more than 2 hours before the NSAA did their confusing text-only update.

"Energy Flows Where Attention Goes" -- James Arthur Ray
Rookie
<RANT>
Seeding meeting for districts is such an archaic process. We have scanners, fax machines, and email, but yet it's a mystery who wrestles who throughout the year.

It's truly difficult finding out common opponent before the seeding meeting. You don't know until the meeting starts, and then I have to listen to 3-8 seedable kids win/loss record over a 3-4 hour time frame. I like chiefstorm's idea that I found in an older thread last year about the same thing.

"In reference to trimming down the time it takes to seed districts........why not have your losses printed off for every seedable wrestler you have on your team? Instead of having everyone read off their losses, why not have it printed off before the seeding meeting starts. You don't even have to have copies made, just place the one copy on top of the 14 piles/stacks of the 6, 7, 8, or 10 seedable wrestlers and their losses. If you have a wrestler in that bracket with a seedable record, you look at that weight classes' pile of information and see if you have commons or not. This would cut all seeding meetings in HALF!"

We already have the technology to list every record of every wrestler, but hardly any coaches use it. Coaches complain that it's TOO much work to do it, but complain about the NSAA not doing it either. Out of the 18 teams in my district...three coaches used this feature on the NWCA website. You can enter results right in the same place you get the weigh-in sheets for competition. Over 100 coaches saw this process at the UNL Coaches' Clinic this fall, and yet not many use this feature, which would make seeding meetings go a lot quicker and smoother.

Oh, by the way, if you want to see who Freeman has beat or loss to, here is the link. Just select "NE" for the state, and we are in the top 10.

NWCA Results Page

Sorry for the rant, just looking forward to the meeting this evening Smile.
</RANT>

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Troxel,
Novice
I am not for the NSAA getting involved anymore with seeding. I already enter my stats on our palm and do not want to do it in another place. It went very well in the D2 district. We read commons, if there was a triangle or more then we went to the point system which worked very well. Our meeting lasted about half of what yours did.
NCAA All American
Picture of chiefMTstorm
quote:
Originally posted by Troxel:
<RANT>

Oh, by the way, if you want to see who Freeman has beat or loss to, here is the link. Just type Freeman into the School Name search field.

NWCA Results Page

</RANT>

Why aren't you trying to hide something? I don't get why you are going public with this information! You are doing your wrestlers an injustice!!! (Place the biggest SarcasM icon you can find right here!)

Rick Henry

Rookie
Picture of Bieber2030
Rick,
I could not agree more. How many times did we have to have a coach REREAD his losses.... unbelievable

Is that big enough???

Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

quote:
Originally posted by chiefstorm:
quote:
Originally posted by Troxel:

Oh, by the way, if you want to see who Freeman has beat or loss to, here is the link. Just type Freeman into the School Name search field.

NWCA Results Page

Why aren't you trying to hide something? I don't get why you are going public with this information! You are doing your wrestlers an injustice!!! (Place the biggest SarcasM icon you can find right here!)

-----------------
Photobucket

"A PEOPLE THAT VALUES ITS PRIVILEGES OVER ITS PRINCIPLES, SOON LOSES BOTH"

EISENHOWER
Junior High
Picture of Red Sox
In my opinion, coaches need to be more transparent with results. We still have major programs that do not post results on Huskermat! For every team that I have been a part of, I post results. Its not hard and does not take much time. I think more and more coaches are getting "modernized" with every passing year, but there are some that would still prefer to not post results and keep their wrestlers records a secret. I always thought that if your wrestler (or team) was of high quality, you don't need to hide anything. That's just my opinion, and I have been wrong before.......

Chad Mattox
Novice
Picture of phatjo23
Red Sox, you are wrong more than you are right!

J/K.
Rookie
Picture of Bieber2030
I agree. But until ALL coaches are required to do something, some will not.
Great example: Weight loss plans
NCAA All American
Picture of chiefMTstorm
I knew Rocker could help me out!

Red Sox.......... I don't care how often you are wrong, as long as you keep posting results!

Rick Henry

Rookie
Picture of Bieber2030
Rick,
You must be as tired as I am and just trying to stay busy to stay awake.
I got home at 11:30 pm. Way too late for me.
Junior High
Picture of Vader
Agreed!
NCAA All American
Picture of chiefMTstorm
I too, got home at 11:30. But I can't get to sleep after driving and all the excitement of a seeding meeting. So I checked the computer, saw that you had exceeded your quota of posts for the month and was forced to reply to a few! I saw the pillow at about 12:45........... and this morning at 6:15 I was as grumpy as my kids, trying to get breakfast figured out!

Rick Henry

Rookie
Picture of Bieber2030
To everyone who is reading this:
I want to make a public apology to the Louisville school and team. It has come to my attention that some people thought that I was complaining about the way that the meeting was run last night. I am very sorry and it was not my intention to put Louisville in a negative light. I think they did a great job with all of the issues like head to head, common opponent, etc. I sincerly apologize and hope everyone knows that they did a great job.
World Champion
Picture of NWI
Here's how I see it, both as a fan of the sport and as a member of the working media.

Wrestling coaches are one of the first to b*tch and moan about the lack of coverage they get in the media. Yet when it comes time to send in the information the media can use to promote this sport, they seem to have other things to deal with (evidently, the concept of delegating certain details like faxing or e-mailing results to the local paper is still a foreign one).

Now we're complaining about how long it takes for seeding meetings to take place, how coaches have to repeat each wrestler's losses, etc., when the technology is out there now for coaches to submit results of each wrestler to a central location that could actually spit out the information needed to knock HOURS off seeding meetings -- and possibly provide a true seeding formula for the state meet, rather than the random district pairing nonsense we now use -- and for whatever reason, the people who could best benefit from this technology don't want to open their minds to learning a new system that would give them more time away from seeding meetings and more times spent doing more important things, like practice, preparing for districts/state and even contacting their local media.

To paraphrase an old saying, it's time for some of you people to crap or get off the pot. Either do the little things that will make your job, and the jobs of others involved with the sport, easier...or continue playing the "we've always done it this way" card and stop complaining about problems like long seeding meetings and the lack of media coverage that could easily be taken care of if you'd just expand your mind a teensy bit.

Now, if you'll excuse me...I've got a newspaper to lay out and a state tournament to prepare for...

"Energy Flows Where Attention Goes" -- James Arthur Ray
NCAA All American
Picture of chiefMTstorm
Louisville did a great job! It wasn't their fault there were so many great brackets to argue about. Having an ex-wrestling coach, who is now a superintendent, run the seeding meeting went well. Mr. Kastl, Dan Huber, and Rob Geise all went above and beyond......... we coaches just couldn't come to quick concensus on numerous occasions!

Sorry if this thread came off as negative in ANY way toward Louisville. It wasn't intended....... blame Yutan on having to read off 15 and 18 losses. They should be coached better!

Rick Henry

NCAA All American
Picture of chiefMTstorm
Coach Troxel,

How happy were you with the NWCA Results program? Did you need to have anything else for your records? What are the pros and cons and limitations is what I am asking (without just spending some time and doing it myself)? Thanks in advance!

Rick Henry

Rookie
quote:

How happy were you with the NWCA Results program? Did you need to have anything else for your records? What are the pros and cons and limitations is what I am asking (without just spending some time and doing it myself)? Thanks in advance!

I was really pleased with the system. It did take about 30 minutes after every meet, but felt that was worth it. I liked having a PDF have all my wrestler's opponents.

It's basically all drop down menus. You select the weight and your wrestler's name. Next select school and then name, and select the outcome (WBF, Dec, MDec., etc). The only thing you have to type is either the score or pin time. You don't have to enter any other stats such as T2, R2, etc.. If it is an out-of-state opponent, you just type in the school and name. Literally, each match takes 10 seconds or less to do. You can then select "next wrestler" or "next match". "Next match" will keep your kid's weight and name, and therefore you only have do half as much.

I really liked it, and hope more coaches start doing it. Then I don't have to email all of you during district week to see who your athletes won or loss to.