Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    Omaha Skutt Catholic Ranked In Top 20

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Omaha Skutt Catholic Ranked In Top 20 Login/Join

Rookie
posted   Report This Post  
AMATEUR WRESTLING NEWS PREP 40 DEC 10, 2006
by Bob Preusse
1. St. Edward Ohio
2. Blair Academy N.J.
3. Oak Park Mo.
4. Nazareth Pa.
5. St. Paris Graham Ohio
6. Iowa City West Iowa
7. Montini Catholic Ill.
8. Chicago St. Rita Ill.
9. Brandon Fla.
10. Jackson Memorial N.J
11. Glenbard North Ill.
12. Caesar Rodney Del.
13. Christiansburg Va.
14. Bishop Lynch Texas
15. Hermiston Oregon
16. Carl Sandburg Ill.
17. Great Bridge Va.
18. Cincinnati Moeller Ohio
19. Upper Perkiomen Pa.
20. Omaha Skutt Neb.
21. Apple Valley Minn.
22. Oviedo Fla.
23. Easton Pa.
24. Poway Calif.
25. Reynolds Pa.
26. Camden Catholic N.J.
27. Don Bosco Iowa
28. Sunnyside Ariz.
29. Massillon Perry Ohio
30. Boyertown Pa.
31. Colonial Forge Va.
32. Buchanan Calif.
33. Albert Lea Minn.
34. Wisconsin Rapids Wisc.
35. Southern Regional N.J.
36. Cumberland Valley Pa.
37. Ponca City Okla.
38. Wasatch Utah
39. Goddard Kans.
40. Crater Oregon

posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
way to go brad

"It's in the bag coach, it's in the bag."
Junior Varsity
Conrgatulations to Skutt. Shows that NE wrestling is finally getting some respect. NE wrestling has improved greatly the past 10 years shows what summer wrestling can do to improve these young men. Also with our college programs doing well it gives the homegrown tallent more opportunities to compete.
Junior High
Awesome! I'm a little suprised this team is ranked...last year's team was an absolute steamroller. While this team has some bonafided studs (especially down below...same guys) they aren't nearly as deep up top...171, 189, etc. Fantastic nonetheless.
Novice
Skutt's honor is well reveived! Brad does a great job with his kids every year! When look at the rankings you see a ton of Catholic schools on there! It appears that the entire country is struggling with the equity issues! I would not say it is recruting, but more of God's calling that theese wrestlers end up at these parochial schools!
NCAA Champion
I'm not sure of the rules in other states, but in Nebraska with open enrollment, the private schools should be a disadvantage. That disadvantage is cost. Yes there are ways around some of the cost, but it does cost something. Absolutely free isn't happening at Skutt. Maybe partial tution and a work program for the rest, but not free. Great wrestlers could go just about anywhere else in Omaha for free. So what's the difference? A great coaching staff and great exposure on the national scene. Another example is Creighton Prep. Why are they coming on strong in Class A? Great coaching staff and starting to get more national exposure going to bigger tournaments. Now take Millard South, its free to go there and they also have a great coaching staff. So all of the people out there that want to say that the private schools have an advantage....not in Nebraska, maybe in another state, but not in Nebraska. Congratulations to Skutt on this accomplishment. Congrats to Creighton Prep, Millard South and to Kearney...all great teams in the bigger classes. I know you don't want to here it, but Nebraska needs more high school coaches that are dedicated to their kids. This would greatly improve Nebraska on the National scene. Hopefully some of our great talents of late will come back and do their part to raise our level even more.

Congrats to all the coaches that put forth the extra effort in the off season to develop their wrestlers as well as others not part of their program.
Novice
525...I agree that the schools you mentioned have great coaching. But the reality is that the top schools in the state have benefited from open enrollment, recruiting, whatever you want to call it! Kids and families do want to send their kids to the best school for atheletic success. That is not what high school education is about! You can not tell me that education at Skutt or CP is superior to that received in OPS! So paraochial schools do have an advantage over the others. These national rankins prove that their is a problem all over the country!

I am not complaining. I send my boy to the best and know that he benefited from those decisions!
Junior High
Beg pardon Mason, but national recognition by upper level colleges is exactly what high school "is about." When we sat in the offices of the U of Chicago the dean of admissions said he had heard of two schools in Omaha; Westside (debate) and Creighton Prep(achievement and longevity). The meaningful and implication-loaded key phrase is "heard of." If Brad can give all graduates of the school the opportunity to have Skutt "heard of" in recognition of a national level program, he has benefited all the students. I'm no big fan of Nebraska football but it gives the school much recognition and some national weight (volleyball is moving toward this contibution as well) - otherwise this state might as well be Idaho without potatoes.
Novice
Switz...I did not say that they recognition was a bad thing. It is great for Brad and Skutt. THe state gets credit to some degree as well. The entire wrestling community has hung on Skutt's coat tails for a long time.

I just commented on the fact that a large number of the schools that are ranked are power house catholic schools. National recognition fpr NEbraska is always going to be football and the college world serious though! Wrestling is not what people hear nationally!