Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    Millard South sends all 14 to state!

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Millard South sends all 14 to state! Login/Join

Rookie
posted   Report This Post  
The Patriots di very well today by getting all 14 to state.
103 Miller 2nd
112 mckim 1st
119 novak 2nd
125 miklas 3rd
130 pedersen 1st
135 meneely 2nd
140 conley 2nd
145 schave 4th
152 garcia 3rd
160 stender 1st
171 denson 1st
189 brown 1st
215 spudich 2nd very close
285 christo 3rd
I felt that the boys wrestled very well today. Having all 14 at state will help in our hunt for another title. It will be fun! Good luck to all the boys at state in all classes.
Go Nate!
Junior Varsity
Picture of hawk
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Yes taking all 14 guys will help MS in another title run and they looked very tough! Congrats to them but can some one from MS explain something for me?

I found it to be a very big disapointment that there were no medal award cerimonies. The guys were handed their medals from the ref as they walked off the mat after the match and the winner of the bracket signed his bout sheet and was then handed his bracket sheet.
No chance for photos, no chance to stand atop the podium. If I were a senior and had just won districts for the 1st time I would feel slighted a bit.
Just wondering why? Was there a basketball game or something scheduled?

hawk

Rookie
Also,Tournament brackets were not posted until the meet was half over,program brackets for the fans were not offered and admission price was too high. Millard South has a great team, but their operation of the District Tournament was terrible! If you can't put a little more effort into it,let someone else have a chance.
Junior Varsity
Picture of hawk
There really has to be a reason they seemed in a hurry to get this over with.
I mean when the only thing the annoucer says before the championship and 3rd and 4th matches is "give all these fine wrestlers a hand they are all state qualifiers". The guys did not line up on the mats across from one another and get introduced.
Keeping all 3 mats going till the end! To a point you really had no idea what match was a championship match and which ones were for 3rd and 4th.

GREAT TEAM EFFORT by the wrestlers
NOT SO GOOD EFFORT by the organizers

Oh almost forgot CUDOS To Coach Denson for his quick response at the end of the 130lb match. Way to step up Coach!

hawk

Rookie
I was told they had a bball game scheduled to start around 3:30 or 4 (maybe that was the time they needed to get people out by in order to set up). I don't know if this played into any of the reason why no medal presentations.

If you don't invest very much, then defeat doesn't hurt you very much and winning is not very excitingy-dick vermell
Junior Varsity
Happens every year.
Rookie
Then District tournaments should only be awarded to schools that will run a meet properly and give the athletes their due respect!
Rookie
No Millard South Basketball game scheduled for last night in their gyms.
Rookie
If a coach doesn't really care to help thier young athletes become better people (see Class A 112 state bracket), then why would we assume that the same coach would want to host a district tournament that catered to the kids?

Maybe someone should file a law suit to determine what is and is not a quality district tournament. Of course, the ruling would likely hinge on what the meaning of "is" is.
Rookie
One thing to say about the price of admision. That price is set by nsaa. As i recall when we went to state footbal playoffs the price went up then also set by nsaa.
Rookie
2007 NSAA Wrestling Manual

Adult $5 Student $4

Admission price for District tournaments per session.
Junior Varsity
Picture of hawk
I paid $8.00 for an adult Confused
Not wanting to dimish from what the team did here just thought the whole thing could have been a better experience for the young men working the tails off all season. They came to the 2nd most important tournament of the year and were handed the medals as they walked off the mat. Just seems they deseerved better than that. Roll Eyes

Can any one from MS tell us how many tournaments they attended this year that did not have an awards platform and if they saw at any of them where before the medal rounds the participants were not introduced?
I think we can all understand wanting to see your son compete, but how about the folks that are involved with the club they run coming out to support the school and the team to make it a class event?
Confused

hawk

Rookie
It was handled the same way at Omaha North this year. Also, having just 1 person working concessions is absurd.
Rookie
I agree with Chubbs and Hawk. I was very disappointed in how it was run. In addition to no fan programs, no intro of medalists prior to the final round, no medal presentations, and poor updating of brackets that were posted, there were very few announcements of team totals. To add something that would otherwise seem insignificant, they didn't even have the aisle rails on the bleachers. This meant everyone seated above had to keep winding their way between people to get to the floor.
Rookie
The only tourney I ever remember seeing awards presentations at is the Skutt tourney. Since my oldest son started wrestling varsity a number of years ago I cannot ever remember an awards ceremony at a Class A district. There is not even an awards ceremony at Metro Conference.

Where I tend to see them is at the smaller class varsity/JV tourneys the MS JV attends. It is just not prevalent to have them at tourneys around the Metro. I'll admit I'm not that worldly however and I never really knew it mattered to others because I have never heard it come up before. The team awards are always more prominant.

Also I did receive a program with all the team lineups, and I have never seen rails on the stair aisles in the MS gym. The custodial staff is the only one that is "qualified" to handle this stuff and the "organizers" have no say in it. People in the aisles was a problem at every tourney I attended this year.

I am always more interested in the team awards and I noticed there was difficulty in finding a representative to to accept the runner up plaque which was kind of odd.
Rookie
quote:
I am always more interested in the team awards and I noticed there was difficulty in finding a representative to to accept the runner up plaque which was kind of odd.

If you are talking about the A4 districts, half of the runner-up team was in taking a shower. With all of the skin stuff going around they wanted to get showered off as soon as they could.
Rookie
That makes sense JO. I did notice many more wrestlers using the showers and locer rooms than at most tourneys. Given all the skin scares it makes sense the coaches would be promoting this, especially getting showered off before the bus ride home.