Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    best nebraska hs match ever?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
best nebraska hs match ever? Login/Join

<fantom>
posted   Report This Post  
what was the best hs match ever to take place?
Rookie
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
The Allgood-McKim match that took place Brett's freshman year in Tekamah was spectacular. McKim was a returning state champ and maybe even a 2-time champ at that time. (not for sure) If I remember correctly the score ending up being 1-0. I was glad that I got to see that one!!
<mr. anonymous>
Conlin vs. Pankoke
The fact that it was in the state finals makes it all that more impressive.
<mustanger>
I thought the Griese/Brill match in the state finals last year was one of the greatest matches ever!
Rookie
Dirk Desmond vs Jordan Johnson 1999 class C 145
Junior High
Picture of green goblin
I don't have a long history of watching state finals; but I thought that was quite a match last year.
<Guest>
I think that this was a good match. I enjoyed watching it.
<Guest>
McKim vs. Cole Conestoga invite two of most highly regarded freshman ever. Cole was considered unbeatable, McKim wins 4-2 unbelievable atmosphere Coles only highschool loss.
Rookie
Picture of luigi
Although fart has an unusual name I would have to agree this was one of the greatest matches ever in nebraska history. With exception to maybe brandon brill, most wrestlers going for there 4th championship seem to find it a little easier than the year before. That was not the case in this match, Dirk Desmond overcame all odds and won an overtime decision against an amazing opponent name Jordan Johnson while nursing a broken hand!
<bunny05>
didnt he have a good finals match in 99" that went into double ot
<highlight>
The referee gave Ricky Stephens a state title after Marcus Hellewege clearly had an escape in double ot.
<AC_Slater>
My vote goes to Conlin - Pankoke. 2 undefeated wrestlers at a weight with 3 returning state champs, which is somewhat like 119A this year. Conlin and Pankoke went back and forth all match long and you could tell both were worn down completely in OT. My other vote would be when I wrestled Valley's Marvin Needick. I gave him a slide-by to suplex combo and pinned him.
Varsity Letterman
Picture of Lance Stallion
Eckley/Dethlefs, '87 state semis
Varsity Letterman
Picture of Bulldog
Stallion I agree with you on the Dethlefs/Eackley match it was one for the ages.
<Guest>
zurek vs. clarke last year was awesome

quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog:
Stallion I agree with you on the Dethlefs/Eackley match it was one for the ages.

Another one for the old school bunch would be the Geiger/Headley match...

-----------------
RR
<Guest>
idk about all time, but mccurdy vs marshall was a good match last year (marshall shoulda won)
World Champion
Picture of NWI
were Desmond/Johnson and Conlin/Pankoke. For Demsond to fight with the broken hand the way he did, and for Johnson to have enough wherewithal to scramble for that escape as time ran out was magical. It was a damn shame one had to lose. And Conlin and Pankoke were two great warriors who just kept battling until the end. It might have been the only time Pankoke was taken down that year...he was such a dominating wrestler that season and Conlin was equally gifted.

The problem with calling out a best match ever is that, especially in the finals, there are so many that put you on the edge of your seat and have so much going on that it's hard to say one is better than the other. You just know, when it's all over, when you turn to the guy next to you and you both have that look in your eyes that you saw something special.

By the way...at this writing, state is 34 days and counting. More great ones on the way, no doubt...
<VoiceofReason>
Cooper, Ogallala v. Moser, Albion in the state finals in 1996 was a great match.
<Fan4Life>
Fargo Freestyle National finals two years ago, Teyon Ware vs Todd Meneely - simply awesome!!