Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    John Christensen walks in...

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
John Christensen walks in... Login/Join

Rookie
posted   Report This Post  
There has been a lot of talk about Trev and what he did dropping wrestling. It kills me, but I already knew he had it out for wrestling. When I think about it all more I am more bothered by John Christensen. It keeps getting thrown in our faces that "he was a wrestling guy" and backed this whole thing.

My question is if John Christensen walks into your wrestling room/tournament what do you do? I am not looking for someone to go off on how they would kick his butt or anything, but I have serious questions on whether I would let him or his family take part in anything I am doing.
Rookie
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
I doubt he ever walks in another wrestling room again, his own sons included. But if he walked in mine I would ask him to leave. Nothing personal, strictly business. I don't let non wrestling people in my room.

"Winners find a way to win and Losers find a way to lose."
Junior High
Picture of BLASCHKO
Tom Shatel keeps bringing that up "Christensen is a wrestling guy". Well Judas was a Jesus guy and we all know how that worked out. I cannot see how he can ever be involved in wrestling again. I cannot even see him being able to attend a wrestling meet in the state again.
Rookie
Picture of outstatefan
From Day 1 I beleived there was something that went wrong for Christenen; he was asleep at the wheel or was duped by Alberts. It is not normal human nature to throw away a 30+ year friendship, a close friendship in the manner this came down. Christensen was a wrestling guy, and more specifically a UNO wrestling guy. He was always at duals and tournaments, he was a fixture at Nationals including this last tournament at UNK, he spoke at year end banquets. I am not suggesting that he did no wrong. I wrote to him before the Regents meeting and deplored him to stand up for right over wrong. I asked him to be what John Kennedy called a Profile in Courage. Evidently courage was also lacking. I'd like a Psychiatrist to explain to me his abnormal behavior. Could be the powers to be in Lincoln threatened his job and maybe his severence package as well.
Rookie
quote:
Originally posted by outstatefan:
From Day 1 I beleived there was something that went wrong for Christenen; he was asleep at the wheel or was duped by Alberts. It is not normal human nature to throw away a 30+ year friendship, a close friendship in the manner this came down. Christensen was a wrestling guy, and more specifically a UNO wrestling guy. He was always at duals and tournaments, he was a fixture at Nationals including this last tournament at UNK, he spoke at year end banquets. I am not suggesting that he did no wrong. I wrote to him before the Regents meeting and deplored him to stand up for right over wrong. I asked him to be what John Kennedy called a Profile in Courage. Evidently courage was also lacking. I'd like a Psychiatrist to explain to me his abnormal behavior. Could be the powers to be in Lincoln threatened his job and maybe his severence package as well.
It was exactly as my son said at the Regents meeting, Christiansen sat next to me as my son made All American for the first time in Houston. He was always deep in the reserved UNO section sitting with the parents and fans. Look at all of the championship team pics, he is in everyone but the one in Kearney. Why? Because he knew!

When Coach Denney first broke this to us in that room at Kearney my first question or really statement was "Christianson won't let this happen will he coach?" When coach told me that he was the main one approving this murder of a program my face and heart dropped to the floor. I even called him the next day and throughout our conversation I felt like he was doing something that someone else told him to do. I know based on that conversation that this decision came from much higher than his office, maybe as high as your governor. Hmmmnnnnn.... You just don't throw away a lifestyle and 30 year friendship with out a knife at your throat. Unless you are man enough to stand up for what's right no matter what!

Where are your morals and principal John Christiansen?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: The Observer,

Junior High
It's becoming apparent that our simple little state has a complex power structure operating in the background that seems to control the flow of information. I wonder if we will ever know . . . This would certainly make an interesting project for students interested in civics and investigative reporting.
Junior High
Picture of BLASCHKO
How does all of this effect his sons coaching career? He is always going to be tied to his fathers actions.
Rookie
quote:
Originally posted by BLASCHKO:
How does all of this effect his sons coaching career? He is always going to be tied to his fathers actions.

I certainly hope this has no bearing on his sons coaching career. For any interviewer to bring this up during the course of the interview process would not only be extremely immoral but probably illegal as well. I know that it would be hard to prove but how does this effect his sons ability to coach. The only people tied to the actions of Christensen's actions are John Christensen.
Junior High
I agree, I think somebody has something hanging over his head. He isnt' behaving as one would think he would. He is being forced into it.
By whom? If they keep their mouths shut we will never know.
Junior High
How does a "good man" seem to suddenly change in a way that confuses us all? There's got to be a lot of bad folks behind him!

I think he should be held accountable, but in our haste to find a target for our anger, let's not allow the cowards behind him off the hook. There's just a lot here that doesn't meet the eye.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Patriot 152,
State Qualifier
When there are many questions left unanswered about a strange deal the usual advice is "follow the money". I think the advice this time is "follow the egos". I did not watch the wrestling community's "day in court" when UNO had a chance to meet with Christensen, Albert, and the Regents but did read the story in the paper. From what I was able to learn from the newpaper story it would have been hard to follow the "trial" because of all of the joeys (baby kangeroos) hopping around the "courtroom". I think the real telling part was the responses of the Regents. Most of them sounded like they were sufffering from the "here's my chance to get even for always being picked last for third grade kickball" syndrome. Many of their responses were about how their responsibility was to the academics at UNO. One of the Regents has often blatantly stated that he thinks UNO should not have any athletics. Most of the others implied that they were serving the public by turning UNO into a strictly an academic institution. Many of them would like to gut UNL athletics also but realize the lynch mobs would be out with lanterns and pitchforks if they tried to do it in Lincoln. So they can massage their egos by saying that great strides were taken toward moving UNO into an academics only institution on their watch.

I don't think it is a secret that Albert would like to be the AD when Tom Osborne decides to retire. So it wouldn't be hard for a few Regents to convince him that he has a chance to show that he can make the tough decisions that go with being a DI AD.

Follow the egos.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Frank Ryan,
Rookie
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Ryan:
When there are many questions left unanswered about a strange deal the usual advice is "follow the money". I think the advice this time is "follow the egos". I did not watch the wrestling community's "day in court" when UNO had a chance to meet with Christensen, Albert, and the Regents but did read the story in the paper. From what I was able to learn from the newpaper story it would have been hard to follow the "trial" because of all of the joeys (baby kangeroos) hopping around the "courtroom". I think the real telling part was the responses of the Regents. Most of them sounded like they were sufffering from the "here's my chance to get even for always being picked last for third grade kickball" syndrome. Many of their responses were about how it was their responsibility was to the academics at UNO. One of the Regents has often blatantly stated that he thinks UNO should not have any athletics. Most of the others implied that they were serving the public by turning UNO into a strictly an academic institution. Many of them would like to gut UNL athletics also but realize the lynch mobs would be out with lanterns and pitchforks if they tried to do it in Lincoln. So they can massage their egos by saying that great strides were taken toward moving UNO into an academics only institution on their watch.

I don't think it is a secret that Albert would like to be the AD when Tom Osborne decides to retire. So it wouldn't be hard for a few Regents to convince him that he has a chance to show that he can make the tough decisions that go with being a DI AD.

Follow the egos.
Haha...love this post Frank. In the week preceding the Regents vote I managed to talk with most of the Regents via phone. Those conversations usually gave me the feeling I was caught up in a bad scene of "Revenge of the Nerds." Almost to a man they refered to the fact that academics kept getting cut and now it was athletics turn. No matter how wrong it was! The Nerds got even finally.

World Champion
Picture of NWI
Note to Frank and The Observer...I take offense that you would compare the Board of Regents to a bunch of nerds.

The reason why is this...I was a card-carrying nerd who always got picked last for third-grade kickball, and I never saw ANY of those stuffed-shirt blowhards at any of those meetings.

Take it back, gentlemen...take...it...back.

rotfl

"Energy Flows Where Attention Goes" -- James Arthur Ray
Rookie
I love both kick ball and dodgeball. I can still smell that red rubber ball.

You were probably a nerd that turned athlete and that is ok.

These Regent Nerds locked in on Nerd Mania and never got set free.