Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    USA vs AAU vs Huskerland
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
USA vs AAU vs Huskerland Login/Join

Varsity Letterman
Picture of Bulldog
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Here is where I am split, USA is tougher and there is no doubt about it. Huskerland though is where you can build a program from. You promote Huskerland as I do and it is a goal of the youth to medal as I put there names in the wrestling room just like the High School medallist. Huskerland is a constant, USA isn't and neither is AAU. Huskerland has had many 4X High School champs and that is what I am sticking with.
Novice
Ok here we go. Many may not realize this, but about 6 years ago I was actually on both the Huskerland board and USA at the same time. I think both have their place. I just officiated the USA on sunday and saw some very promising wrestler. USA State is for the wrestler who wants to be truly challenged to their fullest. I think this is good for those kids and parents. As for Huskerland I think it has its place for the less serious wrestlers who are not sure yet if wrestling is their sport. By the time these wrestlers reach the 7th and 8th grade they know what they want to do. I have seen the accomplishments of many of the 4,5 and 6 time Huskerland champs and can say they are usually very sucessful in high school and beyond in some cases. USA put on a great tournament this weekend and I hope this continues for years to come. I know the $$$ do add up after a while, though realize you are building lasting memories with your wrestler that go by way to quick. As far as the AAU State Tournament it had many problems this year and I also officiated it and tried to get things going as the day went on. Finally the hand writing of bout sheets and advancing brackets at tables was done, which did not fix problems completelyh but did get tournament completed. Everyone needs to realize what it is all about and that is the KIDS. Hope to see some of you at Huskerland this weekend. I will be the plump gray haired fella reffing.
Junior High
Picture of Vader
The USA State Folkstyle Championships in GI this year was a huge step in the right direction. From the high school side of it, I think it was ran much more efficient than in years past. I think it will continue to grow at this new venue.
Rookie
I have been sending kids to huskerland for about 13 years. Like bulldog said it is great to get kids to keep feeding your high school programs. I have also had kids attend both AAU and USA. AAU is a joke. Huskerland needs to charter with both and let individual clubs decide which organization they want to go with.
NCAA Champion
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog:
Here is where I am split, USA is tougher and there is no doubt about it. Huskerland though is where you can build a program from. You promote Huskerland as I do and it is a goal of the youth to medal as I put there names in the wrestling room just like the High School medallist. Huskerland is a constant, USA isn't and neither is AAU. Huskerland has had many 4X High School champs and that is what I am sticking with.

Just so you know that NE USA Wrestling existed before Huskerland was even thought of. So I'm not sure what you mean by that "constant" statement.

When you say that Huskerland has had many 4x state champs...you make it sound like they were the ones that trained them. Those kids trained at your club and your high school. Just by participating in Huskerland didn't make them a 4 timer.

Several of those same 4x state champs also wrestle Freestyle and greco for NE USA in the off-season and were Fargo all americans or champions....so what does that make NE USA?
Varsity Letterman
Picture of Bulldog
Fred I am not knocking USA it is great organization. For me and my club Huskerland is a better fit. For my club and our area wrestling ends the 1st of April, yes there might be a camp or two but competition for the most part is over. USA wants you to wrestle year round with freestyle and greco. That is great if a kid wants to, however for my own kid Legion practices start around April 15th and its baseball throughout the summer.
Rookie
USA wrestling gives kids more opportunities to wrestle later in the season, with freestyle and greco. Its a super opportunity for those who really want to succeed in one sport and be a part of the middle school National Dual team. Smaller schools who need athletes to be multi sport athletes are pulling kids many different directions. The district competition is a big money strain on our kids and takes away from local tournaments. Wrestling one or the other doesn't make or break an athlete their desire to train, practice, lift and to go find competition will make the difference.
Dan Mowinkel
Rookie
I think many of the earlier posts have good points. I guess where I am not following this discussion, are we really talking about the organizations or the events that are sanctioned by those organizations? I think these are two very separate, but related issues. I also think that by combining the discussion of those two issues it will be very hard to make any progress on anything.
Rookie
I'm not here to debate whether which was better AAU state or USA state because I seen in several brackets that kids I knew that were trying out for the Danville team were wrestling at AAU state as well. Kids that want to improve and wrestle will wrestle whether is USA or AAU. Yes AAU ran bad this year but there was years that USA has ran bad but you have to give them the benefit of the doubt that they will learn from the mistakes and correct it for the next year. There is good and bad in both and there may never be a correct answer on how to solve them. However this year USA made it mostly financial why we didn't attend but other reasons that we didn't agree with. 1) if your going to do a district then do it on the same weekend like someone had suggested. If people know ahead of time when districts are they will move their tourney a different day. These districts are killing the small tourneys which rely on their tourney to help feed their high school program. 2) if your going to run a district than treat it like district. QUALIFIED OFFICIALS!!! I'm not one to dog on officials but one of the officials (who by the way said he was registered) was horrible! If you are having kids "qualify" for state its just as important to have quality officials here as it is for the state meet. 3) If kids don't make their weight, there out! no wrestling up/down etc! The weight you qualify for is the weight you wrestle. If you don't make weight at weigh ins tough crap you just lost $20! Most of these boys are 7/8 grade (talking about middle school duals not elementary) so we might as well teach them now cuz the ones in 8th grade don't get that chance next year. How fair is that to my son who watches his weight, eats healthy cuts pop and sweets from his diet and runs everyday to maintain? 4) It would of cost probably around $400 or more for my son to compete this year with my family of 5, not knowing if my son would wrestle on sun do we keep the hotel or let it go and if he cont. onto sun hope they have a room avail.? Downside of AAU was kids may have won their bracket then said they weren't going who may have knocked off a wrestler who would of wanted to go. So again no right answers. maybe a district? but then treat it like a district! I've heard people go back and forth about taking the "best" wrestlers when sometimes the "best" don't want to go. People are stressing the importance of winning these tourneys rather than taking kids that want to go and improve and learn and gain experience from wrestling at these tourneys. Luckily for my son, he will have the opportunity to wrestle on these teams for 3 years and we have done AAU and USA and I can't say one over the other which experience is better. My son has gain from each one of them and made friends that he would not of otherwise!
Junior Varsity
Both organizations have their place but they do need to come together. As Bulldog pointed out, sometimes, not always, but sometimes USA is tougher. This past weekend my boy was in a 32 man bracket at USA state and it had 26 kids. It was great mat time and although he wanted to win it, 3rd place in that is pretty darn good. Here's where I get frustrated. I just looked up the brackets for Huskerland. He's in an 8 man bracket and of course in the same bracket with the kid that beat him in the finals at USA. (He was challenged for true 2nd and lost 6 matches after his finals match) I look at the bracket above and below at Huskerland and find 3 kids in the bracket below he has wrestled and beaten , 2 of which were in the same bracket at USA. The bracket above has 2 he has beaten and were in USA State bracket as well. There will more than likely be a kid in both brackets with a huskerland state title he has beaten more than once and one of them didn't medal at USA. Without sounding like a parent instead of a coach, the best kids at Huskerland don't win the titles a lot of times. Ultimately, he will get better because of the tough match but it's not much fun explaining to a 4th grader why kids he has beat win titles and of course why he wasn't in those brackets. Oh well, we'll wrestle it out and get better. It was 5-0 last time so maybe he can close the gap. I also realize people doing the bracketing have no way of knowing the details. That's why I prefer USA because you get what ya get in a 32 man bracket. In the end you know where you stand because you had to wrestle them all so you have a real champ, 2nd, 3rd, etc. You don't have to explain to a frustrated kid why he got what he got because he already knows.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Eagle1,
NCAA Champion
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog:
Fred I am not knocking USA it is great organization. For me and my club Huskerland is a better fit. For my club and our area wrestling ends the 1st of April, yes there might be a camp or two but competition for the most part is over. USA wants you to wrestle year round with freestyle and greco. That is great if a kid wants to, however for my own kid Legion practices start around April 15th and its baseball throughout the summer.

Yep everyone just needs to do what they think is best for them. I would like you guys to come to USA State sometime and see what we have to offer. Not trying to win you over from them just another great tournament for your club to try.
NCAA Champion
Please remember these thoughts.

Huskerland and USA used to be together and use the same cards for all the kids.

Huskerland left USA and went to AAU cards for their insurance thus, in reality, created or re-emerged AAU as the 3rd organization in this state. This just happen 2 years ago. So while there are 3 organizations, there are really only 2. NE USA and Huskerland/AAU. Huskerland runs AAU so they shouldn't be separated.

If people want us to come together then put the pressure on Huskerland to use USA cards again. Run their Huskerland tournament and their Huskerland duals and then use those funds to support wrestling in Nebraska.

NE USA is under the National office of USA Wrestling which supports wrestling at all levels but most important the World teams and our Olympians. About $5 of your $12 USA membership goes to supporting USA Wrestling at the Olympic level.

It really boils down to this NE USA doesn't have a choice as to which organization they support and insurance cards they use. Huskerland does have a choice. NE USA sold 1300 league cards this year in the state. I'm sure Huskerland sold even more AAU cards. Both cards cost $12. So if you take the low number of 1300 and multiply by $12, that equals $15,600 in extra costs to clubs and parents in this State. Most kids will buy both cards and go to both events. Huskerland has a blanket insurance for your Huskerland clubs through AAU. Normal costs for charter clubs is around $50...muliply that by, lets say, 100 clubs, that's $5000. Still leaves a net of $10,600 paid by clubs and parents.

Huskerland doesn't need to go away and no one at NE USA wants that to happen. Just come back to using USA cards and this State will be much better off.

NE USA will continue to strive to offer the best State tournament in Nebraska. We listen to our clubs and make changes accordingly. The clubs control NE USA, in that, they get to vote on issues regarding our direction and election of directors for all positions on the board. We had a great meeting Saturday night with about 80% of the USA clubs in attendance. Probably around 60 people where there to vote and discuss issues.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 525,
NCAA Champion
quote:
Originally posted by 8675309 Jenny:
I'm not here to debate whether which was better AAU state or USA state because I seen in several brackets that kids I knew that were trying out for the Danville team were wrestling at AAU state as well. Kids that want to improve and wrestle will wrestle whether is USA or AAU. Yes AAU ran bad this year but there was years that USA has ran bad but you have to give them the benefit of the doubt that they will learn from the mistakes and correct it for the next year. There is good and bad in both and there may never be a correct answer on how to solve them. However this year USA made it mostly financial why we didn't attend but other reasons that we didn't agree with. 1) if your going to do a district then do it on the same weekend like someone had suggested. If people know ahead of time when districts are they will move their tourney a different day. The districts were done over a 2 week span this year. We have tried hard not to jump on a club tournament weekend. I've tried it myself and the clubs will not move their tournament for districts...they just don't want to change their date if for some reason we fall on it. There was discussion on this on saturday night and the clubs decided to leave it like it was so that the district tournament had some flexibility to find a good date that will have the least impact on local clubs in their area. These districts are killing the small tourneys which rely on their tourney to help feed their high school program. 2) if your going to run a district than treat it like district. QUALIFIED OFFICIALS!!! I'm not one to dog on officials but one of the officials (who by the way said he was registered) was horrible! If you are having kids "qualify" for state its just as important to have quality officials here as it is for the state meet. The officials are hired by the clubs that are putting on the Districts. It is a good point to make sure they are all certified but certified or not will not solve the problem of the "bad official" 3) If kids don't make their weight, there out! no wrestling up/down etc! The weight you qualify for is the weight you wrestle. If you don't make weight at weigh ins tough crap you just lost $20! Most of these boys are 7/8 grade (talking about middle school duals not elementary) so we might as well teach them now cuz the ones in 8th grade don't get that chance next year. How fair is that to my son who watches his weight, eats healthy cuts pop and sweets from his diet and runs everyday to maintain? We can't make rules for one division and not the other. The 1st through 6th graders are in transition from "club style weigh-ins" versus "real weigh-ins". If the bracket would have been full in the next higher weight, then they would have been scratched and couldn't move up. This will be the case in a few years so I think it will take care of itself. We did scratch the kids that didn't make weight Saturday morning cause that was the rule for the early morning weigh-in procedure. 4) It would of cost probably around $400 or more for my son to compete this year with my family of 5, not knowing if my son would wrestle on sun do we keep the hotel or let it go and if he cont. onto sun hope they have a room avail.? brackets sizes were posted by 2am on Thursday morning. Every knew whether they were wrestling sunday or not and could cancel the 2nd nights stay if they wish. We voted to go by divisions next year, so pre-k through 6th will go on Saturday and 7th through 12 will go on sunday. No wrestle-offs for middle school duals, you must be in at least 7th grade to compete unless I need to fill the spot. Downside of AAU was kids may have won their bracket then said they weren't going who may have knocked off a wrestler who would of wanted to go. So again no right answers. maybe a district? but then treat it like a district! I've heard people go back and forth about taking the "best" wrestlers when sometimes the "best" don't want to go. People are stressing the importance of winning these tourneys rather than taking kids that want to go and improve and learn and gain experience from wrestling at these tourneys. Both sides of that coin should be stressed cause kids are different levels. Some came to win it all and make the dual teams. Some came to just see how they stacked up so they can go back and train harder. Luckily for my son, he will have the opportunity to wrestle on these teams for 3 years and we have done AAU and USA and I can't say one over the other which experience is better. My son has gain from each one of them and made friends that he would not of otherwise!
Rookie
quote:
Originally posted by Blue Devil:
USA State is for the wrestler who wants to be truly challenged to their fullest. I think this is good for those kids and parents. As for Huskerland I think it has its place for the less serious wrestlers who are not sure yet if wrestling is their sport.

Interesting analysis by a person that has been on both USA and huskerland boards. If I were a high school coach I know which way I would send my club.
Novice
Couple more things. First Fred you are working your tail off to make USA Wrestling in Nebraska the main wrestling option. I think what you and the rest of the board are doing is great and I know you all deserve a big hand of applause for your efforts. I know first hand the effort it takes to coordinate dual teams to travel and compete. It is a very time consuming and thinkless job at times. Though you have taken on this job with such a great passion and desire to compete at the highest level which is great. Remember all wrestlers are not created equal. Some have such a outstand support system, from their parents and coaches that mature a lot quicker in wrestling then others. Thus this is why Huskerland is a great place for some kids to learn what it is like to be a wrestling champion. I remember seeing numerous kids winning the Huskerland Championship seeing anything is possible on any given day. It may not be the best of the best championship, though it does give some young wrestler the desire to compete in the sport for many years to come. As for the the card situation I really don't know. It sounds like they cost the same so that is a organization problem between the both of you. I wish everyone could come to common ground and work together. I will gladly help both organizations however possible.
Rookie
quote:
Originally posted by 525:
Please remember these thoughts.

Huskerland and USA used to be together and use the same cards for all the kids.

Huskerland left USA and went to AAU cards for their insurance thus, in reality, created or re-emerged AAU as the 3rd organization in this state. This just happen 2 years ago. So while there are 3 organizations, there are really only 2. NE USA and Huskerland/AAU. Huskerland runs AAU so they shouldn't be separated.

If people want us to come together then put the pressure on Huskerland to use USA cards again. Run their Huskerland tournament and their Huskerland duals and then use those funds to support wrestling in Nebraska.

NE USA is under the National office of USA Wrestling which supports wrestling at all levels but most important the World teams and our Olympians. About $5 of your $12 USA membership goes to supporting USA Wrestling at the Olympic level.

It really boils down to this NE USA doesn't have a choice as to which organization they support and insurance cards they use. Huskerland does have a choice. NE USA sold 1300 league cards this year in the state. I'm sure Huskerland sold even more AAU cards. Both cards cost $12. So if you take the low number of 1300 and multiply by $12, that equals $15,600 in extra costs to clubs and parents in this State. Most kids will buy both cards and go to both events. Huskerland has a blanket insurance for your Huskerland clubs through AAU. Normal costs for charter clubs is around $50...muliply that by, lets say, 100 clubs, that's $5000. Still leaves a net of $10,600 paid by clubs and parents.

Huskerland doesn't need to go away and no one at NE USA wants that to happen. Just come back to using USA cards and this State will be much better off.

NE USA will continue to strive to offer the best State tournament in Nebraska. We listen to our clubs and make changes accordingly. The clubs control NE USA, in that, they get to vote on issues regarding our direction and election of directors for all positions on the board. We had a great meeting Saturday night with about 80% of the USA clubs in attendance. Probably around 60 people where there to vote and discuss issues.
I agree with your points here and it is confusing, if Huskerland is the state tounament for the AAU kids, then why is there an AAU State? However, the same will be said if Huskerland returns to USA "why have both"? Unfortunately maybe it's time for Huskerland to go away but believe it or not, Huskerland is VERY important because of the format, there are lots of wrestlers (i'm talking 5th-8th grades) who can not only be competetive, but actually take home a medal thus keeping the shrinking numbers from falling faster. I've never been to the AAU state, but I know first hand that the USA state is tough as nails and that makes almost everyone better, but as far as those kids who went 0-2 (or 0-4 in a round robin) winning a match or 2 at Huskerland will keep them wrestling. These are the kids who keep those wrestling programs at the small schools going, and fill the rosters at the bigger schools. Sure we all want the talent level of Nebraska wrestlers to be the best it can be, and believe me, we're well on our way. I can name several middle schoolers who are WAY better than I was in 12th grade I'm not talkin' a few I mean several.
-and no, I didn't "suck"
Of course we want to make them better, but first we need to make sure they want to wrestle-somewhere.
Novice
rasslin'dad

Exactly my point. Keep them wrestling. It is by far the hardest sport any kid will ever do. So let them wrestle no matter what level they are at. What ever grade they are. 7th grade begginner or 5th grade Tulsa champ.
Rookie
DOH!! I could have just wrote- ditto
NCAA Champion
quote:
Originally posted by Blue Devil:
rasslin'dad

Exactly my point. Keep them wrestling. It is by far the hardest sport any kid will ever do. So let them wrestle no matter what level they are at. What ever grade they are. 7th grade begginner or 5th grade Tulsa champ.

I agree. Each tournament/organization is targeting different levels of wrestling so whatever level your at wrestle at that tournament and even if you are real tough then wrestle both anyways cause matches are matches. just would make things more understandable to all if everyone had the same insurance card.
NCAA Champion
I agree with your points here and it is confusing, if Huskerland is the state tounament for the AAU kids, then why is there an AAU State? Cause last year NE USA moved off Huskerland weekend for the first time and Huskerland felt they wanted to try and create something like what USA was offering, thus they created yet another "state tournaement". However, the same will be said if Huskerland returns to USA "why have both"? Unfortunately maybe it's time for Huskerland to go away but believe it or not, Huskerland is VERY important because of the format, there are lots of wrestlers (i'm talking 5th-8th grades) who can not only be competetive, but actually take home a medal thus keeping the shrinking numbers from falling faster. I've never been to the AAU state, but I know first hand that the USA state is tough as nails and that makes almost everyone better, but as far as those kids who went 0-2 (or 0-4 in a round robin) winning a match or 2 at Huskerland will keep them wrestling. These are the kids who keep those wrestling programs at the small schools going, and fill the rosters at the bigger schools. Sure we all want the talent level of Nebraska wrestlers to be the best it can be, and believe me, we're well on our way. I can name several middle schoolers who are WAY better than I was in 12th grade I'm not talkin' a few I mean several.
-and no, I didn't "suck"
Of course we want to make them better, but first we need to make sure they want to wrestle-somewhere.[/QUOTE]525 replies in red

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 525,