Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    Border Brawl Line-Ups Announced
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Border Brawl Line-Ups Announced Login/Join

Junior Varsity
Picture of ndb65
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
quote:
Originally posted by wrestling friend:
There's 6 pages of complaints and everyone's opinion on how it should have ran and who should have been chosen. The wrestlers did their best - the Iowa wrestlers were impressive. It was a first time event but was organized well. It's time to let go and move on!

Here's my problem with this idea of yours. Letting it go and moving on is not a good solution. Nothing gets better if everyone forgets about it. If nebraska wrestling wants to move forward and get better recognition for our kids, then your idea of moving on is going to hold us back. These simple ideas that everyone has are the basis of some great plan of the future. I know that sounds a little far fetched, but how do you think things get better, definitly not by moving on and just letting it go!!!

Guaranteed LOUDEST guy in the gym!!!!
State Qualifier
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Ryan:
quote:
Originally posted by Hammerlock:
I know I mentioned something about this earlier, but the difference wasn't the matchups, timing of the state tournaments, etc...it was the approach the Iowa wrestlers took to the matches. They came out with a punch you in the mouth mentality, and when you combine that with physically and technically strong kids, it was too much for NE.

If you're searching for a reason why it turned out the way it did when the kids were fairly evenly matched, look no further than the qualification process for the two state tournaments. It's much more difficult to qualify in IA (top 2 finish in a sectional tourney to qualify for district tourney and a top 2 finish at districts to qualify for state versus a top 4 finish at districts in NE), which I believe makes the level of competition at the IA state tourney more difficult, and in general a better wrestler is standing in the same podium position than say in NE.

The difference isn't in the number of qualifying tournaments. For example we could take a class C or D district and cut it into 2 sectionals and have the top 2 or 4 placers from each sectional advance to district tournament and send the top 4 to state. In nearly all cases the same 4 kids would go to state as in the district only qualifying system.

The difference is how many wrestlers start into the state qualifying meets. In NE Class A districts have 8 wrestlers per class (unless there are opens) and 4 of them go to state. If you are state champ you are the champion of 32 wrestlers. In IA 3A there are 8 districts with 8 wrestlers per weight with the top 2 advancing. If you are state champ in IA you are the champ of 64 wrestlers. The best champions in NE are as good as the best champs in IA. But overall the IA champs are going to be better because they came out of a pool of twice as many wrestlers. We saw champs from NE beaten by low place winners and non-placers. But we must ask, if that NE champ was competing in a tournament of twice as many wrestlers would he have been a state champ? The other classes: IA 2A has 96 teams and 1A has 130. In NE B has 48 teams, C has 68, and D has 81.

The wrestling tradition in IA is extremely strong. Let's take Eagle Grove, a small town in north central IA. 2 of their wrestlers scored pins in the Border Brawl. I have been privileged to coach and referee in the Eagle Grove Invitational, which has been going on for nearly 55 years. The gym was absolutely packed, the fans are very knowledgeable, and there is an electricity in the air that makes it a special place to wrestle, coach, referee, or watch. I'm sure I am overlooking several people but I can think of 7 NCAA champs who have come out of that school, including 2 father/son combinations. That type of tradition takes a long time to build.

I think 2 men have been very instumental in building the IA wrestling program. Dave Harty had been a college wrestler, high school coach (at Eagle Grove), and official when he was hired to head up the wrestling portion of Iowa High School Athletic Association. I believe that was in 1964 and Dave just retired last year. He did a fabulous job of running rules meetings and educating officials and organizing and promoting the sport.

The other man was a basketball player who saw the light. In 1960 Iowa State Teacher's College became the State College of Iowa. About 3 years later it became the University of Northern Iowa. As a side note, I started to ISTC, graduated from SCI, and have my masters from UNI. So I've been around. While it was ISTC every one who graduated automatically had a teaching certificate. It was the only purely teachers college in the state so a huge number of Iowa teachers and coaches came from there. I don't know the exact time but there was a basketball/baseball player at ISTC named Dave McClusky. He had a great deal of interest in wrestling and when the ISTC coaching job opened in the late 30's he applied and was selected. He had a magnetic personality and filled the wrestling room with athletes who soaked up his enthusiasm. He created a national power and won the NCAA in 1950. I doubt if any of his athletes were on scholarship; I doubt if any school gave wrestling scholarships in those days. So his wrestlers had gone to school there with the express purpose of teaching. As they graduated, and practically all of them did in, they went out to teach and coach in Iowa high schools. They carried McClusky's enthusiasm and love of wrestling to their coaching jobs, many of which they coerced their local school boards into starting. So the state's programs were populated by coaches with experience and enthusiasm. McClusky left ISTC in about 1954 to take over the program at Iowa U. He was replaced by one of his 3 time national champs, Bill Koll, and everything continued. Incidently Bill is the father of Rob Koll, the highly successful coach at Cornell U.

I believe Mike Denny is our answer to Dave McClusky. I just haven't seen anyone who seems to want to fill Dave Harty's role.

Sorry to ramble on like this but if someone in a position of power can pick up one small idea that will improve the program it is worth it.

One last trivia question. Does Red Rocker have 6 fingers on his right hand?
Rookie
It's good to have ideas to make next year's Brawl even better. Keep them coming! Just tired of the complaints on which wrestlers were chosen and how they didn't meet the expectations of the so called "experts".
Junior Varsity
Picture of ndb65
I agree with you that the negativity towards the young men is not a postitive step in moving forward, it never is. Constructive criticism is ok, but alot of the criticism on here is not constructive at all. I really think the brawl is a giant step should the state of nebraska choose to embrace it the right way. The problem among us is finding the correct way to embrace it.

Guaranteed LOUDEST guy in the gym!!!!
Rookie
Frank, I’m going to agree with you and disagree with you at the same time. I do agree that the larger pool of wrestlers in IA, vying for the same number of spots, does lead to better overall competition at the state tournament….BUT, you can not disregard the more difficult qualification process in IA Class A and 2A being a factor.

In NE, you have to win 2, 3, or maybe 4 matches to get to the state tournament. Those matches come in a tournament where the best and worst wrestlers at that weight class are present. Place in the top 4 and it’s off to state you go.

In IA, you have to win 2, 3, or 4 matches (true wrestleback for 2nd place) to place in the top 2 and qualify for the district tournament. At the district tournament, you have to win an additional two matches, against wrestlers who are also sectional champions or runner-ups, to place in the top 2 and qualify for the state tournament (also a true wrestleback for 2nd place). Then, you are placed in a bracket with 15 other wrestlers, who just went through the same kick in the nuts qualifying process! This process forces wrestlers to be at their peak physical and mental shape as well as peaking technically for more matches over a longer period of time.

This process ensures that there is better competition at the state tourney.
State Qualifier
Hammerlock,
You are right. I was thinking that is you have 16 kids in a weight class it doesn't matter whether its a 16 man district or 4 sectionals of 4 wrestlers each feeding the top two into an 8 wrestler district. But when I did the math I realized that winner would wrestle 2 matches in the sectional and then 3 in district to qualify so it would take 5 wins. The winner of a 16 wrestler district would need 4 wins to be district champ. The second placer of a 16 wrestler district could qualify for state with 3 wins and then losing in the finals. When you bring in the potential for the true second wrestleback in both sectional and district he could need a lot more wins to qualify for state than through a 16 wrestler district. (It's too late at night for me to do that math, but trust me it would take more wins.)

We had a weird situation when I was coaching in Iowa. A wrestler placed 2 or 3 in state when he was a junior. Then his family moved to a small town that didn't have wrestling. There was no co-op in those days. A school 20-25 miles away invited the kid to work out with them but IHSAA rules kept the kid from wrestling in competition. The coach asked the AD in the kid's high school to enter their school in the sectional-district-state series. We just had 2 classes then so there were a lot of kids in his sectional. The kid hadn't had competition for a year so he wasn't in great shape and he was rusty. He got 3rd in the sectional but 3rd is on standby in case 1 or 2 gets hurt, doesn't make weight, etc. It happened so the kid got to go to district as a standby. He qualified for state by finishing 2nd in district, then won state.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Frank Ryan,
Rookie
There are some great idea's on here. Nebraska is a very good wrestling state. If the main goal is catch the those 4 or 5 elite states. You have to look into having 3 classes Like Iowa does. We have to many kids that do not wrestle out of season and are good enough athletes to win. If you go three classes you will have 4 or 5 kids in each weight that wrestle 40+ matches out of season, so even if you are a good athlete or not you will have to spend a lot of time on the mat if you want to place. I was just looking at WIN magazine rankings on the net, Iowa had 10 rated kids and Nebraska had 6. Iowa had 8 that were in the top ten, out of Nebraska's 6 / 2 were in the top ten. Maybee Nebraska could be a front runner if we changed a few things. We are getting a lot of National attention because Nebraska colleges are doing so well. I think there is a high level intrest in getting better, what would it hurt.
Varsity Letterman
Picture of GO4ZPIN
I went back and read all the posts and wonder why would anyone want to wrestle in this two weeks before Senior Nationals Frown

Seems a little negative to me

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GO4ZPIN,

The state of Nebraska is won on your feet .
James Berger