Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    Border Brawl Line-Ups Announced
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Border Brawl Line-Ups Announced Login/Join

Rookie
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Oops, I dropped my pills and bumped this post? Scores?

I have left the building
State Qualifier
What about 171? I know Denson is out b/c of track and Janovich is playing baseball but you get someone who was not even a finalist. Nothing against the NE kid but c'mon.
NCAA Champion
quote:
Originally posted by wrestling1:
Not only due the rules prevent it but the tourney organizer should not be picking these kids. For instance #125 where is McKim or Krim?? both of those kids have far more credentials.

first of all Krim is a Junior and you must be a senior to qualify for this team. They wanted state champions and Mckim didn't win state this year. They offered the spot to state champs first and then went from there. Rau from Iowa would have beat him too...no difference.

I guess I wasn't too far off in my predictions..I wish it could have been different.

Also, Iowa didn't have all state champs either. A few of their wrestlers were 4th and 5th places at state this year. Neither side had their best seniors in the meet for one reason or another.

It was a great event.....Great job Dana.
Rookie
State champion in Class C is meaningless you take the best kids period McKim has way more credentials period. You have no idea if Rau would have beat him it is political same old story didnt you pick Nebraska to win more matches???? You were way off!!!!
Junior High
Think Neb. guys need Greco much? Someone on this side of the river needs to make it imperative on these kids that they understand the difference between wrestling effectively from a tie and simply tying up. Our guys got thrown around like rag dolls.
Rookie
I can't believe no one has mentioned McCoy's seamless "backflip" out of Pugh's single leg to a double leg takedown!!! Ah-Freaking-Mazing!
Rookie
quote:
Originally posted by MeatCigar:

true somewhat but you cant say McKim is better then Castillo a 2 time state champ. I would have my money on Castillo. Didnt Mckim get like 4th in state this year? i agree that the state champs should be the first option

First off McKim is 125, and second he placed 3rd this year, 4th his sophomore year and was a state champ his Freshman year.

Hus
World Champion
Picture of TK
Its only mildly annoying to follow 4 pages of this thread and still not know the match results; but then it seems OWH and other online papers ignored it completely; too bad again. Great idea by Dana/Morningside regardless, coverage will get better in future. Don't count on NSAA to even consider any changes in elgibility simply to accommodate this or similar events; its obvious some in this thread still don't understand even a whit about elgibility issues; but it doesn't mean at all that the event is not a success. In fact its a very large success and a great step forward in high school wrestling promotion and it opens the door for more of the same. Its easy to envision all 4 border brawls coming along; why not?

arrrgghhh! I stand corrected, results in another thread.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TK,

State Qualifier
Where are the match results???

Who from NE won? Vacanti, McCoy, Smith ( I know Smith won as I heard it over the internet feed) who else???? Scores???
State Qualifier
[QUOTE]Originally posted by wrestling1:
State champion in Class C is meaningless /QUOTE]

Should we give back Jake Smith's win and should he give back his DI scholarship because he's a meaningless Class C wrestler?

Let's take a look at what classes the Iowa winners came from: (3A is largest class, A is smallest class)

3A 6 winners
2A 2 winners
A 3 winners

We should also note that 4 of the 3A winners came from schools smaller than the largest Class B school in Nebraska. I've been in Nebraska for 26 years now so maybe it has changed but when I coached in Iowa I never heard all of the class envy I constantly hear in Nebraska. Good coaches tried to arrange the best possible competition and didn't worry about what class they were in.

Funny, we have a few coaches in Nebraska that do that same thing and they seem to have very good teams. Do you suppose that's a clue?
Rookie
Picture of Giovanni
so McCoy did some type of a "backflip" during the match??...anybody want to further expand on that?
State Qualifier
2006 Border Brawl
Iowa vs. Nebraska
High School Seniors All-Star Meet
March 10, 2006 at Blair, Neb.
Photos by Matt Pfiffner

See a photo on this page that you would like a print made?
Contact Matt Pfiffner for details on ordering.
5x7 - $5 8x10 - $10
(please add $5 for shipping and handling -
multiple photos will be shipped together for $5 s/h)

Iowa (blue) 46 Nebraska (red) 15
(Rankings are Wrestling USA National Rankings - HM = Honorable Mention)

112 - #1 Mark Kist of Eagle Grove pinned #22 Joel Torpy of Millard South in 37 seconds. 6-0 Iowa

119 - #5 Russell Weakley of Fort Madison won 9-1 over HM Shane Castillo of Kearney Catholic. 10-0 Iowa

125 - #16 Jeff Rau of Council Bluffs Lewis Central won 8-2 over Robert McMickell of Hastings St. Cecilia. 13-0 Iowa

130 - Zack Morley of Urbandale pinned Guy Smith of Omaha Central in 2:40. 19-0 Iowa

130 - HM Kelby Ryerson of Eagle Grove pinned Brett Hodgen of Hastings St. Cecilia in 5:06. 25-0 Iowa

135 - #5 Derek Moyer of Oskaloosa won 12-10 over #19 Jay Sherer of Columbus. 28-0 Iowa

140 - #5 Matt Vacanti of Papillion La Vista won 9-3 over Chris Sandy of Spirit Lake Park. 28-3 Iowa

145 - #5 Jeremy McCoy of Omaha North won 11-4 over HM Seth Pugh of Columbus Junction. 28-6 Iowa at intermission.

152 - HM Aaron Janssen of Emmetsburg/A-R won 16-1 over Stephen Medina of Millard South. 33-6 Iowa

152 - #6 Jake Kerr of Oskaloosa won 5-0 over #29 Ryan Pankoke of Centennial. 36-6 Iowa

160 - #5 Justin Kerber of Emmetsburg/A-R won 5-2 over #27 Kyle Svedson of Omaha Skutt. 39-6 Iowa

171 - Ben Becker of Ft. Dodge St. Edmond won 6-0 over HM Kenny Michel of Omaha Burke. 42-6 Iowa

189 - HM Nick Schaefer of Omaha Skutt won 8-2 over #4 Austin Boehm of Urbandale. 42-9 Iowa

215 - #5 Jake Smith of Bennington won 9-3 over Brady Punt of Sioux Center. 42-12 Iowa

215 - Mike Freeman of Newton won 12-4 over #6 Cameron Browne of Plattsmouth. 46-12 Iowa

275 - #13 Aaron Terry of Omaha North won 3-2 over #24 Trent Hardin of Van Buren. 46-15 Iowa

Click here to subscribe.
Rookie
Picture of BIGCAT215
What happened to Browne from plattsmoth? and did anyone else think that the nebraska wrestlers looked way out of shape.
Did the nebraska wrestlers get to prctice with another the week before? or did they just wake up and show up. Thats what it looked like to me.
The best thing about the whole night and was worth the 8 bucks was the backflip by McCoy. and when he landed he still managed to get a doubleleg and get the takedown. clap banana

Ratings: Only one mans opinion
Rookie
Picture of laffytaffy130
Yes i believe that if this dual happened closer to our state tourny it would have been a completely different story i can think of a number of different times where the Nebraska kids just ran out of gas. So you really cant go alot by what happened cause seeing how tired every nebraska kid was. Yes every one even Vacanti and McCoy looked gased at the end. And another thing y do we bash on kids that competed in this even even if they got beat they still gave it their best it isnt like they went out there and rolled over and got beat. so i say cngrats to every kid that competed win or lose.
Rookie
I don't think it would matter if this thing was held in September...the Iowa wrestlers were extremely strong and wrestled very physical, especially Kist and Janssen. It was a very impressive showing.
NCAA Champion
quote:
Originally posted by wrestling1:
State champion in Class C is meaningless you take the best kids period McKim has way more credentials period. You have no idea if Rau would have beat him it is political same old story didnt you pick Nebraska to win more matches???? You were way off!!!!

Let's see...Rau defeated Cottle this year 5-3...do you think Mckim could beat Cottle or even come close....I don't think so. You need to check my predictions....I had Iowa winning 11 and Nebraska winning 4....I was off by one win.

This was a good dual and I respect all the Nebraska guys that were in it, but it does expose our weaknesses as a whole....I agree with dswitz. Lets take these things and figure out a way to get them corrected. This can be a great tradition dual year in and year out. We can compete better if we now where we aare lacking.

Also yes State champion is first criteria...end of story. At 130 both A and C wrestlers got pinned unfortunately. Class A isn't a hugh difference than C. The guy that took 2nd in C at 130 pinned the Class A state champion and has defeated him everytime they've wrestled. Its not about the size of school...look at Iowa...their small schools did well at the brawl.
Junior High
The difference between the class A kids and the class C and D kids is not athleticism or cognitive ability, which I see as equal, but rather the tyrannical effects of rules and geography in limiting the exposure of C and D kids to a variety of wrestling partners of varying styles, especially Free. and G.. The Iowa small town kids are almost all within reach
of quality college level partners because of the population base and location of wrestling colleges in Iowa. Omaha and Lincoln kids, mostly class A and B, are within the same reach of wrestling colleges and it shows in their technique- which technique I'm quite confident the C and D kids could achieve given the same resources. Solution? NSAA rule adjustments that allow small schoools to practice with other schools, programs, and clinics during the season. Good luck getting that done!
World Champion
Picture of NWI
dswitz -- what you say makes very good sense...which is PRECISELY why the NSAA won't do it.

"Energy Flows Where Attention Goes" -- James Arthur Ray
Varsity Letterman
Picture of Lance Stallion
If I'm not mistaken, you actually CAN practice with another school, but it costs you one of your 30 NSAA points.
Rookie
Picture of grapplinman
This is a pretty enjoyable thread to say the least. To be quite honest, there are quite a few factors in this whole scenerio. On any given year, we simply don't have the population base or the number of schools wrestling to have the overall depth that Iowa does. What do you think the outcome would be if we had the Border War with Wyoming? What would be the result if Iowa had a Border War with Missouri...might be pretty close. I would even venture to say that the Border War between Colorado and Nebraska would be a good dual. How about Iowa vs Ks? Anyway the population and depth is just one issue.

The second issue, of course is that the Iowa season finishes a little later than ours does. Shape maybe not a huge factor, but it is a factor. Kids coming right out of state or the state duals will be in better condition for sure. I don't think some of our kids were training like they state was next week....LOL!

And then, of course you got the spring sports ruling that did affect us somewhat. I know that Aaron wanted to wrestle in this event, but was told it would cost him his track season. So, no go. Not sure how many others this affected, but this could have been a mild factor.

As far as the argument about the classes....really probably quite moot. There are those kids who wrestle a ton in the off season and then those that don't. Obviously the off-season helps, but you simply have to live with the demographics called Nebraska. I don't know what Fred saying about the class A state champ? I call it any given day when you can win or lose against another wrestler of high caliber. I think the class C 130 runner-up did, indeed, lose to the 5th place class A wrestler. And I know the 3rd place class A 130 probably beat a lot of the ranked B, C, and D guys around.