Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Sutherland Login/Join

Rookie
posted   Report This Post  
I pride myself on keeping complete bracket results,with scores, at a tournament. At the Sutherland Tour. that was all but impossible! Being new to the tournament we were not aware of the teams at the tournament and the brackets, that cost $1.00, were of little help! For that price all you were given was the brackets themself, no front page with a list of teams or anything else, just the brackets. Without knowing the teams at the tournament it was all but impossible to figure out the abbreviations for some of the teams, 19 in all. Then throw in several unattached wrestlers at each weight and, many that wrestled each other, I finally just threw the bracket away. Midway through the second round I finally went up to the coach of a team and asked him if the name on the uniform was their mascot or the school name and where they were from. Yes, they did post results in the hall and by the time they were up and a person got them filled out you had missed a great deal of the next round! It's one thing to go out and get a few match results but when you have to get all of them!!! Could someone please post all the medal results? Smile
Rookie
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
From the N.P newspaper:

103lbs.
1 H. Teel Southwest
2 Spiegel Gothenburg
3 Kipp Arapahoe
4 Fields Sandhills/Thedford

112lbs.
1 Schwanz Goth
2 Darnall Banner Co.
3 T. Teel SW
4 Wright Maxwell

119lbs.
1 Murillo BC
2 Deatrich Medicine Valley
3 Trisdale Max
4 Griffith Rawlins County

125lbs.
1 Timmons Med. Valley
2 Holmes Sutherland
3 Ferrara Monarch
4 Eacker SEM

130lbs.
1 B. Chancellor Med. Valley
2 Gates SW
3 McFadden S/T
4 Hyde Goth

135lbs.
1 Gifford BC
2 Larson Goth
3 Frederick Hershey
4 Green Rawlins Co.

140lbs.
1 Wolters Rawlins Co.
2 Frerichs SEM
3 Cowna Monarch
4 Staley Goth

145lbs.
1 J. James Franklin
2 Kosmicki Perkins Co.
3 Lehmkuhler Arnold
4 Aaron Monarch

152lbs.
1 L. James Franklin
2 Gardner Arapahoe
3 Burden SEM
4 Junak Monarch

160lbs.
1 Allard Goth *Outstanding Wrestler*
2 Johnson Garden Co.
3 V. Chancellor Med. Valley
4 Davis Franklin

171lbs.
1 Romeo Med. Valley
2 Colindres SEM
3 LaRue Maxwell
4 Ostergard Goth.

189lbs.
1 Walton Franklin
2 Mortensen Med. Valley
3 Blake Maxwell
4 Hagan SEM

215lbs.
1 Jenkins Arapahoe
2 Troyer Hershey
3 Hooper Maxwell
4 Fritsche Med. Valley

285lbs.
1 Helms Arapahoe
2 Fouts Franklin
3 Helms Maxwell
4 France Goth.

Sorry, I don't have my official results with match scores.
NCAA All American
Picture of chiefMTstorm
Where was the OW from?

Rick Henry

quote:
Originally posted by Coach Meyer:
From the N.P newspaper:

160lbs.
1 Allard Goth *Outstanding Wrestler*

I don't think he was trying to describe a "goth"

Rather Goth, as in Gothenburg Swede...

Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

-----------------
Photobucket

"A PEOPLE THAT VALUES ITS PRIVILEGES OVER ITS PRINCIPLES, SOON LOSES BOTH"

EISENHOWER
Rookie
Thanks for clearing that up for me, Rocker!

Allard wrestled a great tournament! He showed a lot of heart scoring with little time left in the semi-finals to beat Davis from Franklin. Then, beat a very good wrestler from Garden County in the finals. The hard part about the O.W. award is if it is expected of you, it's hard to win. What I mean is Tyler Gifford of Banner County looked "Outstanding" in the meet. He'll be tough to beat (any class).

Just my opinion, but again thanks Rocker for keeping things real!

Coach Meyer

quote:
Originally posted by Coach Meyer:
Thanks for clearing that up for me, Rocker!

Allard wrestled a great tournament! He showed a lot of heart scoring with little time left in the semi-finals to beat Davis from Franklin. Then, beat a very good wrestler from Garden County in the finals. The hard part about the O.W. award is if it is expected of you, it's hard to win. What I mean is Tyler Gifford of Banner County looked "Outstanding" in the meet. He'll be tough to beat (any class).

Just my opinion, but again thanks Rocker for keeping things real!

Coach Meyer

We gotta cut Stormy some slack, he sometimes has trouble comprehending the written word...

After all he's made waaaaaayyyyy too many long distance trips with his teams. Started a new program, and is getting up there in age.

He'll be alright though...

We hope.

Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

-----------------
Photobucket

"A PEOPLE THAT VALUES ITS PRIVILEGES OVER ITS PRINCIPLES, SOON LOSES BOTH"

EISENHOWER
NCAA All American
Picture of chiefMTstorm
Defending myself at this point would be pointless..............

I sure hope I'm able to build a program before I get really old! That way I can make some more long trips.......hell, I may even try to get a contract to wrestle at the chanticleer palace again!

Just so I'm clear, I'm making progress as a coach. There was only one way to go!

Now, the written word........that has been a reel challenge.....lots of late nights scatching my head, which explains my reverse mohawk personna.........

Rick Henry

Hus
World Champion
Picture of TK
aahhhh, the palace misses you Chief! We have the same roost you visited a few years back, and I think there's plenty of room for you again Smile

Rookie
Coach Meyer makes a valid point! What is the OW award based on? A stud who should and does man handle everyone in the weight class or the wrestler like Allard who is 5th seed and beats the 4th , 1st and 2nd seeds to win the weight, granted the win over 1st seed was slightly controversial! Something for everyone who gives this award to be aware of!!!!! Don't start announcing for the coaches to turn in their ballots before the wrestlers are done wrestling!!!! They read off the names of several schools that had not yet turned in their ballots after the 160# matches and over half the coaches had already turned them in???? Which means possibly, at least, 4 weights were not give every opportunity to get the votes??? If you are not going to allow every wrestler the same opportunity to get votes then don't have the award!!!!!!!! Have one person assigned to collect the votes and as the medals, and team trophys are being awarded this person can collect the votes count them and make the presentation after the championship trophy is presented!
Rookie
i agree rfc, too many times you see a low seed upset his way to the title, but dont get the OW. We had a 125 a couple of years ago and we were in the tourney a week before districts, this kid hadnt won a match all year he was something like 0-14. it was at our home meet and he pins his way through a round robin tourney, including pinning 2 state qualifiers. but our 171 pounder gets the OW just cuz he was expected to dominate the meet
Rookie
Sounds like rfc should run the tournament next time.
Rookie
quote:
Originally posted by ynotnow:
Sounds like rfc should run the tournament next time.

Sounds like rfc, his teammate or his kid didn't get the OW and he's complaining.
Rookie
Here's the deal! As believers and promoters of this great sport it is absolutely critial that we accept every opportunity presented to us to promote wrestling in a positive way! People who have a son wrestling for the first time have a difficult enough time trying to figure out what is going on without paying for a program that even the most experienced can not follow!!!! (Incase you have never been to a bball game their programs are FREE! If you are going to charge, make it for something people want and use, otherwise, it is a negative to the sport.) If this meet was the first time that grandpa and grandma were able to watch their grandson and he had not wrestled his finals match yet and the outstanding wrestler award was done being voted on, how do you explain that? (To them their grandson did an outstanding job winning his weight class but everyone was pressured to vote before he wrestled??) Another negative! I am pointing out things that put our sport in a negative light to the outsiders. These are the people that we must have walk away from a meet saying they want to see another one!!!! All of us diehard will always come back no matter how bad, espically if it is the only match in the area! We have to sell wrestling to the first time parents, the people who come to the meet for the first time to see their friend's son wrestle!! YOU ONLY GET ONE CHANCE TO MAKE A FIRST IMPRESSION!

You can do several things days before the meet to make a great program: list the rated wrestler so the uninformed know what other matches to follow, list last year results so they can see who the better wrestlers might be in a weight class, put on a cover page so when someone picks it up in three years at the kid's graduation they know where the tournament was wrestled and when he looks at it in 20 years he knows what schools were there... All of these can be done several days before the tournament and added to the brackets on that day. WE HAVE TO SELL WRESTLING IN A POSITIVE MANNER EVERY CHANCE WE GET!!!!! Every opportunity missed is a possible fan we lose.

For the record: when it was stated, by some of the first year parents, that a wrestler from our home town might win the OW award my immediate response was that T.J. Allard should win the award--he was a fifth seed that beat the 4th, 1st and 2nd seeds!!!! That's OUTSTANDING!
Rookie
rfc, I can understand your concern on the program...to a great extent.

Still my experience has been that any time a hosting school decides to "sell" programs or brackets, it leaves itself open to this type of problem: LOGISTICS.

Few tournaments in the State of Nebraska are run with the necessary logistics/folks to keep programs up to date real-time, printed, and then sold.
Fact is, the best run HS tournament in our state, which in my opinion is the Grand Island Invitational (and I'm not from there), is still not able to provide programs for sale that are updated with latest results over 2 days of wrestling....and trust me they are as best manned to handle any logistics as any tournament I've ever seen.

At Grand Island, they did something interesting: They sold a program for $1.00 with all the team photos, brief editorial comments below each team photo, and a schedule of activities which they ammended due to snow, and provided complimentary updates for those who requested it....I'm not sure if they sold-out of all their programs, but given your concern, I wonder if this approach is the one that'd make sense for selling programs that have value years down the road.

Still, I have to say that the real or near real- time sale of programs/brackets can become a logistical nightmare within the complexity of running a tourney. So those considering doing so should be aware the challenges in committing to such endeavor.....better have the people and printer standing by not far from the scoring tables.

Hooah!
AB Smile
Rookie
Airborne, I understand and agree with you completely. I am not saying that is what I think should be done because I know from experience that it would be next to impossible!

I'm not trying to rag on the good people of Sutherland. I'm just saying "...put a cover page on your program that list the teams at your tournament!" Then people can keep up. When 2 wrestlers walk on the mat and they don't put the weight class on the clock, (2 of the three clocks did have the wt. class and one did not, I think it was broke), and you don't recognize the uniforms, and you don't know what the abbreviations in the programs stand for because you don't even know who the teams at the tournament are--HOW CAN YOU KEEP YOUR BRACKET UPDATED?

Put a little effort into making this a positive for the people who attend or you will not get them back!!!!!!!! These are the parents who don't encourage their kids to go out next year! We need all the wrestlers we can get and the little things make the difference!!!!!!!! To keep wrestling growing we need to take care of the little things. MAKE IT A POSITIVE EXPERIENCE FOR EVERYONE!