Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    Nebraska USA Folkstyle State tournament 2010
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Nebraska USA Folkstyle State tournament 2010 Login/Join

Rookie
Picture of DevilYouth
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
do you know the schedule of the day of the state tourney?

The reason I ask is that our middle school club kids have their last school tournament that same day. Just trying to see if it is worth their time to go to the district tournament and try to qualify.

Thanks.

Sam Pfeifer
Director, Plattsmouth Youth Wrestling
NCAA Champion
Weighins are Friday night and wrestling begins at 9am saturday morning. It will go all day. Here's the link:

http://www.nebraskausawrestlin...e_folkstyletourn.htm
NCAA Champion
Lets see all the state champs get it on March 19th, 20th and 21st in Grand Island.

Check out results from 2009 and see all the state champs that competed.

http://www.nebraskausawrestlin...kstyle%20Results.pdf
NCAA Champion
Any schools close to GI that might have some daktronics score clocks. We'd love to be able to use some for the state tournament.

alphasurveying@qwestoffice.net

Fred Franklin
NCAA Champion
Now that districts are in full swing....remember to register on line for the state tournament. Weigh-ins will be on Friday night March 19th and wrestling is on Saturday the 20th.....then state duals on Sunday the 21st.

Come test yourself against the best kids in the state....only one place to do that....USA state in Grand Island.

Thanks for all the support from the USA clubs. We have our annual state meeting on Saturday night. Each club gets 2 votes on all issues and elections. We would like to hear what you have to say.
Rookie
I heard that Mitchell is alowing clubs to send in there own weights with out on site weigh-ins. So basicly satalite weigh ins? How is this fair to all the wrestlers that maintain a weight till they get there to wrestle or weigh in . For instance a team from east of lincoln wanted to do the excact same thing at Seward. Seward told them they would have to weigh on the scale there because USA wanted all the kids weighing on 1 scale? While at the same time Nebraska City allowed 1 pound allowances? just hope these districts should all be treated the same!
NCAA Champion
Hey Slammer/Helmick/AAU state director,
(All the same person)

Each District can run weigh-ins however they want. It's their choice. If Mitchel is doing satalite weigh-ins then I'm sure they are being done on the up and up at those locations. USA Directors never told any district they had to weigh on 1 scale. If Nebraska City/Hodges gave an allowance then it was probably cause he knew his scale was a little heavy and decided to do that rather than force the weight issue. It's really not a big deal. We talked about that exact think at our Fall meeting. We gave them this flexibility for weigh-ins. Some will use and some won't. It's up to them.(Our scale in Oakland is 0.40 heavier than several others we weighed on throughout the year) Good thing is, each district will have a meeting next fall and vote on how they want things to run for next year in their own district. As long as they qualify top 4 and follow the weight/grade classes, the rest is really up to them.

At least we have weigh-ins!!

You have my email address if you have questions. You might want to try that first next time.

You don't need to come on a USA thread and stir the pot about our district tournaments.

Stick to your AAU threads. That's where your Knowledge lies.

Fred Franklin
NE USA kids director

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 525,
Rookie
quote:
Originally posted by 525:
Hey Slammer/Helmick/AAU state director,
(All the same person)

Each District can run weigh-ins however they want. It's their choice. If Mitchel is doing satalite weigh-ins then I'm sure they are being done on the up and up at those locations. USA Directors never told any district they had to weigh on 1 scale. If Nebraska City/Hodges gave an allowance then it was probably cause he knew his scale was a little heavy and decided to do that rather than force the weight issue. It's really not a big deal. We talked about that exact think at our Fall meeting. We gave them this flexibility for weigh-ins. Some will use and some won't. It's up to them.(Our scale in Oakland is 0.40 heavier than several others we weighed on throughout the year) Good thing is, each district will have a meeting next fall and vote on how they want things to run for next year in their own district. As long as they qualify top 4 and follow the weight/grade classes, the rest is really up to them.

You have my email address if you have questions. You might want to try that first next time.

You don't need to come on a USA thread and stir the pot about our district tournaments.

Stick to your AAU threads. That's where your Knowledge lies.

Fred Franklin
NE USA kids director

Now ain't that the pot calling the kettle black!

Freddy pollutes any thread he wants with USA stuff now someone asks a legitimate question and they get accused of "stirring the pot".

This is funny stuff!
NCAA Champion
Without NE USA (which is an entity of USA wrestling, trainer and support of United States Olympic team) there would be great opportunities lost for lots of kids in this state.

state tournament- where kids can test their skills against the best. "to be the best you have to wrestle the best"
elementary national dual teams- The next step up from state. Wrestle the best kids around the country.
Middle school dual teams- the next step up from state. Wrestle the best from around the country.
Cadet duals- 15 and 16 year olds going to the next level of national competition
Junior duals- 17 and 18 year olds going to the next level of national competition.
USA Nationals in Cedar Falls- Great opportunity for individuals to test themselves against the best in the country.
Fargo- The ultimate test of the greatest wrestlers in the Country.
USA regional training sites across the state.

NE USA takes wrestlers to all these events and donates money to pay for entry fees and other expenses. NE USA puts national teams together for all these events to help kids achieve their hopes and dreams.

NE USA wrestling also supports and trains kids for Olympic style of wrestling. Maybe talk to Brad Vering and see what he has to say about NE USA or Todd MeNeely or Mark Manning, or The Oliver family, or just about any high level coach (college) in this state. Not everyone gets to that level but NE USA is the avenue to get there. Lots travel that avenue but not everyone gets to the end. In the end it still makes them a better wrestler to compete in college and in the future a great trainer themselves of the next generation.

NE USA directors get paid NOTHING...absolutely NOTHING to do these things for the kids. We were founded as a volunteer organization back in the 70s and we still run as volunteers today. You might call us a volunteer military of wrestling parents, coaches and just lovers of the sport.

JOH- Do you think if there is a thread called "central city" that a lot of central city parents, coaches and wrestlers are going to read that thread? Of course. Communicating through that thread to touch base with Central City people is all good. Didn't pollute, stir the pot or anything along that lines. When someone from another organization like AAU that would do anything to tear down USA jumps on and stirs the pot. I will call them out everytime and if possible let everyone know their name. I and the others in this organization work way to hard as volunteers to let it go by and say nothing. At least when I post, people know who I am.

The pot is stainless steel. Smile I call them like I see them.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 525,
Rookie
Picture of First to be Banned
quote:
Originally posted by Southeast Slammer:
I heard that Mitchell is alowing clubs to send in there own weights with out on site weigh-ins. So basicly satalite weigh ins? How is this fair to all the wrestlers that maintain a weight till they get there to wrestle or weigh in . For instance a team from east of lincoln wanted to do the excact same thing at Seward. Seward told them they would have to weigh on the scale there because USA wanted all the kids weighing on 1 scale? While at the same time Nebraska City allowed 1 pound allowances? just hope these districts should all be treated the same!

Southeast Slammer

They only reason we wanted all wrestlers to weigh in on our scale was to make it fair to all. I know a lot of kids were wrestling the day before our tournament and wanted to use those weigh ins to enter our tournament. Nothing against other clubs or tournaments but we wanted every wrestler to be subjected to how we ran our weigh ins. I know that we never said no because USA would not allow it but it was something our club decided. As you know this is the first year for districts and as they continue to do them I believe the rules between each district will become more uniform to make it fair to all wrestlers across the state. I am a supporter of what NE USA wrestling decided to do with these districts and believe through the years it will catch on. This was the first time I ran a tournament and if we host the districts next year I already have some changes to hopefully increase numbers and make the tournament run as smoothly as possible.

John Hayek
Seward Wrestling Club

John Hayek
Junior Varsity
Unfortunately, since we have all 3 organizations arguing, wrestling in Nebraska will never progress. I myself chose USA because I like the causes they support. To each his own on that subject. However, if we ever really want our youth wrestling to really to take off and all these tourneys to fill up and have big brackets and great competition, we need 1 organization for all. I remember when I was a kid and we had USA wrestling, our districts and state at NorthPlatte (if i remember correctly that's where it was) was huge. Full brackets, 300-400 kids.
Rookie
Amen - most parents of club wrestlers are confused what USA, AAU, and Huskerland are all about - It would be great to have one organization. Would be cheaper as well.
Junior Varsity
Not only are the parents confused, but heck, I've been doing this a long time and it still gets confusing as far as which we should choose, etc. Most clubs I know accept any insurance card until it comes to State. I heard at our district at Seward quite a few people called them and wanted in but since they were AAU, they didn't want to buy another card, and so they didn't attend. I understand each organization has their agenda or cause, but if they trully want to improve wrestling in Nebraska, they need to merge and create one organization with one common cause- Make wrestling in Nebraska better. A lot of give and take would have to take place and I just don't see it happening. I'd also be willing to bet that most parents won't care what organizatin it is as long as their kids wrestle. Coaches and club directors are the ones that would have the hang ups. Imagine it, 1 state tourney...Every kid in Nebraska wanting in because it's their only option.....
Rookie
quote:
Originally posted by Eagle1:
Not only are the parents confused, but heck, I've been doing this a long time and it still gets confusing as far as which we should choose, etc. Most clubs I know accept any insurance card until it comes to State. I heard at our district at Seward quite a few people called them and wanted in but since they were AAU, they didn't want to buy another card, and so they didn't attend. I understand each organization has their agenda or cause, but if they trully want to improve wrestling in Nebraska, they need to merge and create one organization with one common cause- Make wrestling in Nebraska better. A lot of give and take would have to take place and I just don't see it happening. I'd also be willing to bet that most parents won't care what organizatin it is as long as their kids wrestle. Coaches and club directors are the ones that would have the hang ups. Imagine it, 1 state tourney...Every kid in Nebraska wanting in because it's their only option.....

One organization in the state, nice idea but a pipe dream. I don't care what the leaders of any of the organizations say, it is all about the money. None of them will give up their "share" to make things better for all. In fact, as evidenced by Freddy's constant bumping of his own threads, and comments to other posters, each thinks theirs is the best and won't hear of anything else.
Junior Varsity
JOH, you're right, I don't see it happening either,but as you said, it is a "dream" I just posted my dream so maybe the directors would think about it Wink I don't want to get into which org. is best or any of that, I feel each one has or at least had great intentions but somewhere along the way, we've split ways too much.
Varsity Letterman
Picture of Badger
Money? FYI, Nebraska USA gets $0 for the league card. The USA board members get $0 for volunteering their time. In fact, personally I guarantee being a board member costs me money between all the gas, copies, and other small items purchased for USA that I don’t turn in to get reimbursed. Not only money but time away from my family just to help others out and provide opportunities for your kids. I guess if I was in it for the money somehow I messed up.

Primarily the only money Nebraska USA makes is off of participation and all that goes back to the kids in providing opportunities for those kids to wrestle on National teams.

Some days I wonder why I do this. Why deal with the petty issues that people make a “mountain out of a mole hill” and the people that complain about the system on the internet but do nothing to fix it. Discussing ideas on the internet is one thing but personal attacks on the efforts and people working hard to provide opportunities to kids is another. Unfortunately that is the way things are now a days so we have to live with it.

The only things that keep me going is times like last year seeing a kid, Stone Mendez, win his freestyle National Championship; running into a young adult that says “Hi, coach” and it takes me a while to recognize him because he has gotten older but he remembers me because was on our team in Fargo; having Tyler Legate (now that he is a famous Husker football player) come up and say “Hi, coach” because he came with us on our trip to Cadet Duals; all the kids and their parents that were excited to be on the Elementary National Dual team last year; and many other similar situations. Those are priceless because you know you made a difference in someone’s life.

I do have to agree that Nebraska (or any state) should have one primary organization. A couple of years back I thought we were finally going in the right direction. Huskerland used the USA league cards and helped support the USA national teams financially. USA provided the organizing, coaching, and additional financial support of the national teams. We were all working in the same direction. Suddenly without warning something changed and ever since things are going the wrong way and seem to be getting worse. It is not like Nebraska USA can change organizations. It is either be USA Wrestling or nothing. If it is nothing there are a lot of opportunities lost.

Neither side is perfect but I do believe most of the people on the Huskerland and USA boards are good people and truly want to help kids in Nebraska. I have met with the Huskerland president and president elect the past two years, I have a lot of respect for those guys and honestly believe they want to help kids. I know that as long as I am involved I will try to find a way to work together.
NCAA Champion
First to be banned,

Thanks for your support and holding the district this year. Looking forward to another big year in Danville. I'm sure your son will do well.
Junior Varsity
Well said coach Pokorny. I hope you understand I'm not bashing any organization. As I said, our club is USA because I feel that's best for us and the sport of wrestling. I agree with you, there ARE good people in each organization that trully are trying to help wrestling and help kids. I'm just wishing we had one organization too so then kids could wrestle anywhere, no questions asked. I'm sure you will keep doing your best and I hope others from the other organization will try to do that as well.
Varsity Letterman
Picture of Badger
quote:
Originally posted by Eagle1:
Well said coach Pokorny. I hope you understand I'm not bashing any organization. As I said, our club is USA because I feel that's best for us and the sport of wrestling. I agree with you, there ARE good people in each organization that trully are trying to help wrestling and help kids. I'm just wishing we had one organization too so then kids could wrestle anywhere, no questions asked. I'm sure you will keep doing your best and I hope others from the other organization will try to do that as well.

Yes, I understood your post and had no problem with it.
Rookie
Picture of First to be Banned
quote:
Originally posted by 525:
First to be banned,

Thanks for your support and holding the district this year. Looking forward to another big year in Danville. I'm sure your son will do well.

While i do support USA wrestling Joseph is not my son he is my brother. its okay your not the first to confuse the two.

John Hayek