Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    Happy Independence Day!

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Happy Independence Day! Login/Join

posted   Report This Post  
Have a great day celebrating our Country's Independence. With all the BBQ's, parades, fireworks etc. don't forget the real reason we celebrate today. I started a couple years ago on Independence Day making it a point to re-read the Declaration with my boys. We will do it again this afternoon and have a short discussion of why we celebrate today. If you would like to do the same or just want to re-read it yourself, here's a link http://www.ushistory.org/declaration/document/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Red Rocker,

-----------------
Photobucket

"A PEOPLE THAT VALUES ITS PRIVILEGES OVER ITS PRINCIPLES, SOON LOSES BOTH"

EISENHOWER
State Qualifier
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Junior High
got goose bumps!!
Thanks coaches!
State Qualifier
Mat cat,

Thanks for posting that video. That is great. When Red Rocker posted his story about reading the Declaration of Independence to his boys I sent him an email that I thought might be good to weave into his discussion. I decided it would be good for all of to see. So, here goes:

Mike, what a great idea to read the Declaration of Independence with the boys. I wish you could read it with our politicians. I think most of them have forgotten about those men and their courage. I will give you another story you can weave into the discussion that has helped me see how much those men did love country more than self. Before we moved to Omaha we lived in Carroll, IA where I belonged to the Charles Carroll Council of the Knights Columbus. That is where I heard the story about the fact he was the only signer to put his town after his signature. Those men knew they were likely signing their own death warrants if the revolution failed. Supposedly, Carroll signed and then the man who signed after him said, "You are lucky. There are so many Carrolls in Maryland that they won't know which one signed it". At that, Carroll took the quill back and added 'of Carrollton' after his name so there would be no doubt who the signer was.
State Qualifier
quote:
Originally posted by Red Rocker:
Have a great day celebrating our Country's Independence. With all the BBQ's, parades, fireworks etc. don't forget the real reason we celebrate today. I started a couple years ago on Independence Day making it a point to re-read the Declaration with my boys. We will do it again this afternoon and have a short discussion of why we celebrate today. If you would like to do the same or just want to re-read it yourself, here's a link http://www.ushistory.org/declaration/document/

Red Rocker (Mike Fleshman), always did a great job of reminding us about the real meaning of holidays. Mike liked barbeque, parades, and fireworks as much as any of us but he understood what had taken place since 1776 to make this great country what it is. I really like his idea of reading and discussing the Constitution with his boys. Carter and Ty, I wish I could be there to read and discuss with you. But I'm sure that Mom, an Aunt or Uncle, or Grandma or Grandpa would be glad to carry on that tradition with you.

GOD BLESS AMERICA.
State Qualifier
BUMP
Rookie
Here are a couple of statuses I found on Facebook. The first one I KNOW Mike would have reposted. Happy Independence Day everyone!

If You're Proud To Be An American Wave
This Flag Is In Honor Of The Fallen Men
And Women Who Serve Our Country
And For Those Who Are Still Fighting
✰✰✰✰✰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰
✰✰✰✰✰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰
✰✰✰✰✰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰
✰✰✰✰✰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰
☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰
THANK YOU AMERICAN HEROES!!!
Happy Independence Day Weekend!!!!! Never forget that freedom isn't free!

*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆ ★ ☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆
╔╗╔╦══╦═╦═╦╗╔╗ ★ ★ ★
║╚╝║══║═║═║╚╝║ ☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆
║╔╗║╔╗║╔╣╔╩╗╔╝ ★ 4th of July weekend☆ 2011
╚╝╚╩╝╚╩╝╚╝═╚╝ ♥¥☆★☆★☆¥♥ ★☆
HAVE A HAPPY & SAFE FOURTH OF JULY!
State Qualifier
Fly AA,

Great post. I agree that Mike would have posted that one on huskermat.com.

Thanks Toni,for reminding us of our treasured heritage.
World Champion
Picture of NWI
Remember, boys and girls -- freedom ain't free.

Props to the guys and gals in khaki for their service and sacrifice.

It was 234 years ago that we gave those Redcoats the high hard one. It's amazing when a group of people band together for a common goal of freedom.

"Energy Flows Where Attention Goes" -- James Arthur Ray