Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    Most ridiculous rule in the book!
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Most ridiculous rule in the book! Login/Join

<Guest>
posted   Report This Post  
What do you think the most ridiculous rule in the book is?

Personally, I don't like the rule that pertains to having shoes taped for each match. What does this accomplish? If the wrestler fails to do this, he loses an injury time out and the other wrestler is awarded a match point.
<Guest>
its to prevent kids from reaching down and untieing their shoes to get out of a hold
<Guest>
or for some time to rest
Junior Varsity
Picture of rmh
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Some wrestlers actually used this as a way to stall without getting the call. Imagine that!
Varsity Letterman
Picture of Twdinger
I agree with the part of the rule to tape the shoes so the folw of the match is not interrupted by a cheap wrestler undoing his lacing, but i disagree the severity of the rule. I can see taking away a match point and maybe even a team point for not being ready for the match, but to give a technical violation towards the coach and an injury timeout taken, thats pushing a little to far for something that is minor. There is no way that an untaped shoe is on the same severity level as a slam or a head butt.

To be the best, you have to beat the best.
Junior High
Picture of NP Bulldogs
I totally agree. In the 1st tournament of the year, actually 1st match of the year we had a kid walk out onto the mat with out his shoes untaped. WE started the day 1 point in the hole, my kid down by one point, and I had a technical violation the rest of the day. This rule is really ridiculous.

Also the locked hands call is too. If a kid locks, unlockes and locks his hands it will cost him 2 penalty points. (also it dosnt matter how many time, if he does this 4 times he is DQ'd, I know Smile)

This rule is also stupid. I told my kids the next time they lock their hand to crunch down on the kid and do whatever they want, but DO NOT let go of the locked hands.

[This message was edited by OU Sooners on January 27, 2004 at 08:48 PM.]
<Pirate>
I don't like the rule, that will go into place next year, with the wrestlers keeping their singlets up while in the entire gym. It's hard enough trying to get the freshmen to remember to leave them up before they come off the mat.
<Guest>
So we can't have our singlets down at all in the gym? Not even after we're done wrestling with our match, or the meet? Thats kinda gay.
Novice
If the referee asks the coach during the locker-room visit or asks the coaches during the seeding meeting if their kids are properly equipted and we are told they are, then they show up on the mat with shoe laces unsecured---

It's a team point for unsportsmanlike conduct on the coach (for obvious reasons)
It's a match point technical violation (again for obvious reasons
The injury time starts because now we have to take time to fix something that we were told was already fixed.
<Guest>
I think that it almost shows a sign of disrespect to be walking around the gym with you straps down, bringing attention to yourself. The officials aren't going to nail a kid with loosing a team point if he just got done wrestling and is undoing his starps. As far as the locked hands rule stated above, the officialsdont seem to call it half the time anyway, but I do have a problem with some of the real strick reffs in the state who will call a wrestler for locked hands when they accidently touch,or in a scramble.
<Guest 42>
Can you have your straps down if you wear a t-shirt over your singlet?

I think the most ridiculous rule in the book is not being able to have any outside instruction in a group outside of your High School practices. I think that it should be the kids choice. Not NSAA's choice. If someone is willing to pay for extra instruction, then more power to them. I have heard this rule is in place so that one wrestler won't have an unfair advantage over another wrestler who doesn't have the same opportunity. Well, if a person wants something bad enough, then there are ways to reach that goal...legally of course. Maybe I don't understand this rule completely, so please explain it to me further. But that is the way I read it.
Junior High
Picture of NP Bulldogs
BUT, out of all the meets we have wrestled, 1 Ref has asked us the properly equipted question and that was Albert Rodriguez at the Cass County Quad. So what happens when we get dinged, but we were never asked about our kids being properly equipted????

Yes I know your response, it is as it is in the rule book, and we (coaches) and the wrestler will still get dinged and the time out will still occur. But how about holding the ref's accountable (just as the coaches are) with the rules?

[This message was edited by OU Sooners on January 27, 2004 at 08:50 PM.]
State Qualifier
What if the question is asked and the coach responds "no" or "I dont know"?
<steve polycranopolis>
quote:
Originally posted by OU Sooners:

Also the locked hands call is too. If a kid locks, unlockes and locks his hands it will cost him 2 penalty points. (also it dosnt matter how many time, if he does this 4 times he is DQ'd, I know Smile)

This rule is also stupid. I told my kids the next time they lock their hand to crunch down on the kid and do whatever they want, but DO NOT let go of the locked hands.

I also have to disagree with the rule on the locked hands. If an offensive wrestler locks his hands it is required by the referee to give the defensive wrestler a chance to score (if it appears that he may have a chance to). Many times a coach will shout "free move." However, if the offensive man breaks his hands & re-grips, that is another infraction. This is a rule that is overlooked by many officials & they typically charge the offensive wrestler with only one infraction no matter how many times he re-grips. The NSAA tells officials to penalize wrestlers each time they break the hands & re-grip, however the rules book needs to clarify what to do in this type of situation. This happened last Saturday at Raymond Central & within 5 seconds the offensive wrestler committed 3 infractions. One point, one point, two points. Thirty seconds later he locked again thus getting disqualified. If officials are to enforce this rule the way the NSAA tells us to there needs to be better clarification. Therefore not only the referees but the coaches & wrestlers will also know the consequences of locking, unlocking & re-griping. If I have any suggestions to wrestlers & coaches put in this situation I'd say keep 'em locked & wait for the delayed call situation to end.

[This message was edited by steve polycranopolis on January 27, 2004 at 06:23 PM.]
<Guest>
whats this i heard about only being able to cut like 5% of your weight each week? is this really going into effect in the next couple years? if so that is by far the most retarted rule ive heard
Rookie
Picture of Cschumacher
1.5% of body weight per week. Also will some how determine before the season your lowest weight, talked seemed like at your physical.
My problem with this is how will this be determined (there are many ways and some are expencive), also who will pay for this part, (if it is the wrestler I can see some saying to hell with that or the school not wanting to pay for this). Another thing, do we decide which doctor to see (may help some teams to find a friendly doctor). Many questions to be answered on this one.
<Captain Thesaurus>
Coach, be sure you know the difference between "in the whole" and "in the hole"! It could lead to trouble. Red Face
Junior High
Picture of NP Bulldogs
I witnessed this match at RC I would have to say the whole situation lasted 15 seconds tops(from start to finish). What I didnt like was the top kid locked his hands when the kid sat out, the kid came back to his base where he let go then the kid sat out again, he locked his hands AGAIN, and so on.

My only thought at the time was why didnt the match stop when the valley kid came back to his base and there was no chance for an escape? Instead the wrestlers were allowed to continue, and you know the rest of the story..........

The bad thing is the kid who was DQ'd should have been in the finals, the good thing was he pinned the same kid for 3rd and 4th.

I agree the rule book needs to be clarified. I looked it up and it isnt black and white, rather pretty grey.

Okay steve who are you? Are you the ref who did the match? If so I was utterly impressed with you the whole day!

[This message was edited by OU Sooners on January 27, 2004 at 11:33 PM.]
<Pirate>
The rule on the singlet straps being up in the gym is not limited to the ones walking around with the top down. You must leave the gym to take your top down after the match. I think the refs have enough to do. Don't ask them to police the entire gym while they are suppose to be reffing matches.
Junior Varsity
I don't think the shoe taping should be a violation against the coach. There is only so much we can do as a coach. I remind the kids numerous times before meets to tape shoes, give them a roll of tape when they are sitting together and tell them again, and still we had one kid get an infraction. I think it is up to the wrestlers to be responsible. These are 15-18 year old kids and they should be old enough to take care of this type of stuff without us babysitting them.