Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    when are the body fat checks
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
when are the body fat checks Login/Join

Rookie
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
You can begin tests on November 6th and they must all be completed prior to your first meet.

If you are under 7% body fat, at the time of the test, you are allowed to compete with a letter from a doctor, however, it was my understanding that the wrestler will not be able to cut down to a weight class lower than their tested weight. So if they weighed 120 and had 6% body fat at the time of the test, they couldn't wrestle lower than 125 during the season.

At the clinic they indicated for those schools without trainers, someone who teaches phys. ed or health could also administer the tests as long as they are not a member of the wrestling coaching staff.
Novice
If a coach can get someone in the P.E. department to do the body fat testing this rule is a waste of time. There will be no credibility to the test. I have been body fat testing our wrestlers the first day of practice for the last 7 years. It doesn't seem that things will be changing too much. I will just have the P.E. teacher do it. Either make everybody go to a designated group of doctors around the state or don't make a fuss with some new rules.

Where can I get a hydration test kit?
Novice
Picture of Lovesee
Great system

NCAA Champion
quote:
Originally posted by Hammerlock:
You can begin tests on November 6th and they must all be completed prior to your first meet.

If you are under 7% body fat, at the time of the test, you are allowed to compete with a letter from a doctor, however, it was my understanding that the wrestler will not be able to cut down to a weight class lower than their tested weight. So if they weighed 120 and had 6% body fat at the time of the test, they couldn't wrestle lower than 125 during the season.

At the clinic they indicated for those schools without trainers, someone who teaches phys. ed or health could also administer the tests as long as they are not a member of the wrestling coaching staff.

To much pressure put on the paid school employee/PE coach/trainer. The better way would be to require each school to have an assessor of the tests and then administer them to a school other than your own and vise versa. No pressure and the test would have less scrutiny. Example: Creighton Prep's trainer tests Millard South's wresters and Millard South's trainer tests Creighton Prep. This is the better way...what say you?
Junior Varsity
Picture of SlvrHwk
I don't see where the pressure is. Have the trainer or whoever weigh the kid, measure his body fat, put it in the computer, and as a coach follow the freakin' rules.
Novice
Remember that the computer program has a coaches section that will allow us to pretest the athletes. We should have no excuse for not knowing where our boys will test out. I just hope the NSAA finalizes things before we have to start testing so we can get the bugs out. I looked our bunch over and maybe will have two or three that will be close on body fat and a certain weight. Most will end up where they would have under the old system.

Coach Aschoff
State Qualifier
quote:
Originally posted by SlvrHwk:
I don't see where the pressure is. Have the trainer or whoever weigh the kid, measure his body fat, put it in the computer, and as a coach follow the freakin' rules.

Great statement Silverhawk.

Most of these posts suggest that it takes a highly trained doctor to administer the test. I don't know how the test is administered but I suspect it's a matter of do this, record that, etc. I doubt if it's much more complicated than reading the scales at weigh in and I don't think we send officials off to college to learn how to read the scales.

Many of these posts imply that if someone in the school gives the tests the results will be tainted, probably because there are no honest people in that school. I don't believe that. I think over 95% of the people associated with the sport are honest. Before you retort that we shouldn't do something for the safety of the kids because of the 5% of the bad apples I'm going to let you in on a little secret. SOME PEOPLE CHEAT !!!! Some people were cheating 52 years ago when I first become involved and there have been an unbroken line of cheaters every since.

If you want to punish cheaters don't bad mouth a good rule (still unpolished, but a good rule) Punish them by getting them off your schedule. If you refuse to wrestle a team led by a cheater the word will spread, other teams will follow your lead, and within a few years the kids will realize they have a crummy schedule because of their coach's dishonesty. They will begin to squawk and the problem will get resolved.

Meanwhile, make the best of the new rule. I think you will find that you will have more productive practices and the sport will be more fun for everyone if you don't have a few kids being CPA's (Constant Pain in the Ankle) because they are trying to cut too much weight.

Have a great season.
Novice
I also see this rule as adding another month of dieting or crash dieting for the ones coming out of football and having to make weight to ensure themselves a spot on the team. Don't give me this business that they are not suppose to do it that way. If you have a kid weighing 107 and is under body fat weight, that can't beat the 112. If he wants to be varsity, you know he will be down to weight before Nov. 6th(with no practice to help him get there). Don't tell me that you can control that. We don't sit at home with these kids and tell them what to eat.
Rookie
One more thing I forgot to add yesterday...they will not be enforcing the 1.5% weekly drop during the first year of implementation. If the initial test shows that a kid can certify at 152 by Jan 20, and on week 1 he should be no lighter than 168, and week 2 166, and so on...it doesn't matter. They'd like you to follow the system, and have the kids cut "safely", but it will not be enforced this season.
NCAA Champion
quote:
Originally posted by SlvrHwk:

I agree the coaches should follow the rules. Just my opinion on the assessors doing other schools. Pressure may have been the wrong term to use, but if an assessor, from their own school, tests a wrestler and finds him just a little off from being in the next lower weight class, marks him down for the next higher one up, I do think he will feel something...what that is....pick the word.

If they did opposing schools, they could test the kids and say "see ya next year".
State Qualifier
The 'follow the freekin rules' part is the part I'm worried about.This is a state that awarded a state championship to a kid who never certified at the weight just a few short years ago. Also look at all the transfers for 'academic' reasons that happen each year.This will be a joke, and an injustice especially to the teams that do follow the rules.My experience is that at least 4 or 5 kids a year come out for wrestling who wont see 7% body fat till they're 20 years old, so if they want to wrestle they need a note from a doctor.The guys that put these regs together have got to be retarded.
NCAA Champion
Have a ref present along with the schools assessor. Refs have to be present at weighins....isn't this a weighin? I'd feel better if a ref was there.
Junior Varsity
Picture of SlvrHwk
Hammerlock:

I don't follow you. If a kid weighs 168 on November 6th, and it says he should weigh 158 by the first competition, shouldn't he have to wrestle 160? I re-read the draft, and I didn't see anything about some rules not being enforced. In fact, the draft reads:

"Nebraska will utilize the NWCA Optimum Performance Calculator (OPC) into which wrestlers' weights will be entered to chart the 1.5% descent plan. The OPC software will provide an Alpha Master for each wrestler that lists that wrestler's descent plan, detailing at which weight classes a wrestler may participate each week."

It also says:

"A wrestler will not be allowed to wrestle at any time in a weight class that would require him/her to lose more than 1.5% per week from the original date of measurement."

Did you get this information from Darin, or did you get an update of the draft that was created in July? Let us know.....
Rookie
at the NCA clinic in lincoln, he (I assume Darrin, I'm not so good with names) stated that this year they will not enforce the 1.5% rule. They will still be held to the minimum weight class as determined by the initial tests, still only be able to wrestle at the weights calculated by the OPC, 7% body fat rule, Jan 20th cutoff, 2lb allowance after Xmas after descent is complete, etc, etc...but the NSAA doesn't care what your kid weighs each week as long as he's wrestling at the weight class specified by the OPC. Next year however, we'll be held accountable for meeting those weekly levels. I think it's their way of cutting us some slack instead of dumping the whole thing in our laps.

If anyone else was at the clinic and heard different...please correct me so I'm not misinforming the masses, but I feel very confident with my interpretation of the lecture/discussion in lincoln.
Junior Varsity
Picture of SlvrHwk
I see what you're saying. I wonder how they figure they'll police the weekly weight loss? Seems like a classic case of micro-management to me.

Also, I believe the new growth allowance takes effect on January 20th.
Rookie
Just got an e-mail from Darin. He is presenting final draft to NSAA on Friday. If they act on it then he will put it on NSAA website next week. He said that the draft will follow all guidelines of National Federation rules.

quote:
Originally posted by Jonny Utah:
quote:
Originally posted by Big Whitey:
also wrestlers who put on some weight for football.

Yet they bump up the HWT to 285 for that reason...

they've needed to do that jump for a while. we want kids to come out from football to wrestling right? but in this state our linemen are getting bigger and coaches want them bigger. they needed the bump from 275-285, i really think they should go back with the unlimited weight class.

"It's in the bag coach, it's in the bag."

Doing my best not to sound pessimistic about this part of the equation, but generally, and I repeat myself, generally, those who "put on weight for football" put on more fat than muscle. Yes there are those who actually lift and do enough cardiovascular exercise to put on lean muscle mass but in general the comment that one wants to "put on weight for football" ends up meaning that they put on unnecessary fat.

JMHO

-----------------
Photobucket

"A PEOPLE THAT VALUES ITS PRIVILEGES OVER ITS PRINCIPLES, SOON LOSES BOTH"

EISENHOWER
Rookie
The idea that was bounced around, and seemed like it would be implemented, was that the growth allowance can be used as early as the first meet after xmas, but for those who are descending all the way until the 20th, they can have the allowance once they have met scratch weight. So, for the coaches, that means you will have to be at the scales during weigh ins letting the official know which one of your kids will be using the growth allowance and which ones are still descending and are not eligible for the allowance.
Novice
Picture of Red Dawg
Our coach has done this test for years now because he is interested in the kids more than the win loss records.
My son was tested and had a natural 6-7% body fat and he ate like a horse. He did not have any fat on him.

1) Why did they determine 7% body fat vs. 5% or 10% etc...?

2)What are the punihments for those caught cheating?

Thanks