Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    when are the body fat checks
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
when are the body fat checks Login/Join

Junior Varsity
Picture of 4Huskers
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
quote:
Originally posted by Red Dawg:
Our coach has done this test for years now because he is interested in the kids more than the win loss records.
My son was tested and had a natural 6-7% body fat and he ate like a horse. He did not have any fat on him.

We're in the same boat. Last year, first day of practice, body fat was 5%. We just know going in that on Nov 6th, what he weighs will be what weight he will go at. At least knowing that at this time, he'll be able to plan ahead a little bit. He's never lost much weight, but this eliminates any at all.
Novice
Picture of lorilwayne
This is just a curiosity question but is there any other testing of hydration other than at the beginning of the season? Truthfully in order to get this to work I think you need to spot test during weigh ins... say at each meet the ref will randomly have x percent of wrestlers at each weight class tested.

Also for those that are concerned about the smaller schools my husband coached at 2 differant school districts both of which are smaller and both had trainers contracted. They weren't there every day however I think its something that most schools have already tackled.
Junior High
Is the growth allowance really jan 20?
Why?
there are only 3 or 4 weeks left of the season.
What is the point in having an allowance?
Junior Varsity
Picture of SlvrHwk
Yes, the growth allowance is Jan. 20th.
Rookie
Who is going to be checking at meets? Whats to prevent a kid from going below the 7%? Also can a young man be tested by more than one person? i.e shop around for the "right" tester? The testing has to be done before the first pratice not the first meet correct?
NCAA All American
Picture of chiefMTstorm
The timing of the growth allowance is centered around the newfound data that teenagers grow the most during the two week period from January 13 to January 27. This growth can be attributed to increased growth hormones fed to cattle and pork during the winter months in feedlots and finishing units. When processed after the first of the year in the second cycle of the lunar phase, this hormone is then passed on to human consumers. It also has been shown that listening to alternative and rap music can amplify the effects of these growth hormones. I think that this new growth allowance date makes perfect sense! If you didn't pick up on my sarcasm throughout the whole paragraph, I apologize, it was meant to bleed through!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: chiefMTstorm,

Rick Henry

quote:
Originally posted by chiefstorm:
The timing of the growth allowance is centered around the newfound data that teenagers grow the most during the two week period from January 13 to January 27. This growth can be attributed to increased growth hormones fed to cattle and pork during the winter months in feedlots and finishing units. When processed after the first of the year in the second cycle of the lunar phase, this hormone is then passed on to human consumers. It also has been shown that listening to alternative and rap music can amplify the effects of these growth hormones. I think that this new growth allowance date makes perfect sense! If you didn't pick on my sarcasm throughout the whole paragraph, I apologize, it was meant to bleed through!

Pardon me Sir...

May I see your license for that???

Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

-----------------
Photobucket

"A PEOPLE THAT VALUES ITS PRIVILEGES OVER ITS PRINCIPLES, SOON LOSES BOTH"

EISENHOWER
Junior Varsity
Picture of SlvrHwk
Just-A-Fan:

The testing has to be done before competition, not the first practice. This would allow a kid to come out late and still be able to compete.
Novice
I don't know why only a few coaches have this information. I have told my AD to watch the mail, since the start of this string and he said nothing has came. I wished that we were more informed.

Now a question for: Can I test my kids the week before the first meet? That would give them two weeks worth of practice. Maybe better yet right before Thanksgiving Break.
Junior Varsity
Picture of SlvrHwk
I suppose you could. I've encouraged some of my kids to start their weight loss now, that way when the 6th rolls around they will insure that their target weight will be attainable by the first competition date.
Rookie
What guidelines are in place to insure compliance?

quote:
Originally posted by SlvrHwk:
I suppose you could. I've encouraged some of my kids to start their weight loss now, that way when the 6th rolls around they will insure that their target weight will be attainable by the first competition date.

I agree with that statement especially if the wrestler has excess fat and wants/needs to get rid of it. But, it is just the thing that will get Football Coaches and Wrestling Coaches butting heads. Like posted above, Football Coaches want more weight, wrestlers and Wrestling Coaches generally want less weight.

With this new system, many kids will have to start the weight loss process (hopefully slowly and correctly) this time of year and for those who also play football, it will be in direct opposition to what most of the football coaches want.

-----------------
Photobucket

EISENHOWER
Junior High
RR
Exactly my point at the meeting at NCA clinic.
They kept saying it was football friendly, but it is not.
I know that fat kids dont need to be fat, that 7% is ideal...but how many football coaches are going to listen when you tell them that.

All we really did, is tell kids to get their weight cut before they test, without the benefit of hard practices.

Now, has a system similar to this been used before...yes in many states...what problems exist in those states. I am sure that the people on the board studied many different avenues.

We also talked about the weight allowance at the meeting. I was under the impression that we were going to change it to after Christmas like usual...the original language said jan 20 and most groaned at that. Most felt dec 25 was better.
So, those that couldn't cut their entire weight off until after, would get the allowance after they got to weight.

Rhenry,, man i thought you were so serious at first talking about your study...then as soon as you said beef i caught on to your fun.
NCAA All American
Picture of chiefMTstorm
On the NSAA website, the timeline says that wrestlers that have completed the decent plan get their growth allowance on chistmas, just like before. But if you haven't completed the plan, you have until Jan 20th to do so (which might be good for a few FB players that go deep into the playoffs and struggled to get certified by Dec 20th or whenever their final meet before xmas occurred). The management program and guidelines are also available at the NSAA wrestling page, all 9 pages of it! It will be my liesure reading for the next week.

Rick Henry

Rookie
I have just a couple of comments on some of the post I have read. I have a background in Exercise Science so I feel I have a decent understanding on some of the body fat testing.
One person has mentioned that it's not that complicated of a process, I would agree with that to a point. For skinfolds you find the site, put the calipers on it and what the calipers read you put into the space and up the different measurement and you get a BF% based on the sum. There are some finer points to this process where do you place the calipers, what direction do they face, what formula to use (3 site, 7 site, or any of the other different summation formulas). Overall not a terrible thing to learn but does take some time to be effective at it.

The next point someone mentioned is shopping around. The intertester reliablity is fairly good with skinfolds, but still a +/- of about 5% between each. With this most organizations (ACSM, NSCA) generally recommend that the person have at least 100 measurements before they are considered accurate so I don't know if this is addressed or not.

Someone also was curious about where they got the number 7%. This number has been fairly well estabished as what most men need for normal funcion. Females on the otherhand generally need 12-15% so will this be different for the girls that want to wrestle?

I have not had a chance to look at the plan yet will try to today cause I am curious about it. Sorry this is a little long but found some of the points interesting and thought I'd throw in my two cents.

If you don't invest very much, then defeat doesn't hurt you very much and winning is not very excitingy-dick vermell

Here's a link to the NSAA's official pdf of the weight managment program.

It's gonna be interesting to say the least...

-----------------
Photobucket

EISENHOWER
Varsity Letterman
Picture of GO4ZPIN
What a crock !

Just go to your Dr and have him certify your lowest weight ? Looks like nothing will change .

The state of Nebraska is won on your feet .
James Berger

Novice
Now I'm confused.
At the clinic I asked point blank if the wrestler was already under 7%, but only a pound or so over a weight class, if a doctor could give clearance to drop that pound.
I'm sure I was told no, that the wrestler had to get clearance from a Dr. to wrestle the next weight class UP from there if they were under 7% (which didn't really make sense to me).
You others who were there, is this how you remember it?
Now I read this in the NSAA weight management plan:

****4. If the wrestler’s body test result is lower than 7% or 12 %, the next higher weight class shall be the wrestler’s minimum weight class. ONLY A PHYSICIAN MAY CLEAR A WRESTLER TO COMPETE IN THE NEXT LOWER WEIGHT CLASS IN THIS SITUATION. Within this clearance the physician must indicate the date at which it is safe for the wrestler to begin competing at the minimum weight class. A physician’s clearance is good for one seasons’ duration and expires at the conclusion of the NSAA State Wrestling Tournament of each year.****

Doesn't this read to you guys that they can go lower if they can find a Dr. to give clearance?
Rookie
Couple of things to point out...

If you are worried about the certification then:

A. You are fat
B. You are trying to duck weight classes
C. You have been running cross country and have a body fat of 4.2% and probably shouldn't go lower anyway.

D. You are in the upper 3 weight classes, just finished football, and ate like a pig and really need to get a healthy diet and need to blame somebody or something for not making weight anyway!!!

We had the certification last year, not many issues except, HOW the process actually was implemented. If the wrestler is at HIS/HER most natural weight then there really is not a problem. I do not like the certification because I believe it is flawed; but it isn't some evil process that will change the overall scope of wrestling in high school.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Red Rocker,

Winning state is only 1/50th of the equation.
Rookie
what do you know the nsaa posted a time line on the wrestling page www.nsaahome.org/textfile/wrest/2006%20Weight%20Management%20Timeline.htm