Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    when are the body fat checks
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
when are the body fat checks Login/Join

Rookie
posted   Report This Post  
when will the new weight checks be done.I think the westlers need more info as well as parent nsaa really dropping the ball.
Rookie
Picture of Big Pounder
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
The implementation of the body fat testing for this next year is the major question and concern for many. I do understand your concern that wrestlers and parents need to know, but heck we as coaches don't even know the details yet. Sorry we can't be of help!

Walk the Line.

First off this is unofficial at best...

Here's my understanding of how it works.

The first checks will be November 6th, the tests have to be done by someone that has been specifically certified to do them. The athlete must first pass a hydration test. If that is not passed, they have to wait 48 hours before they can be tested again.

Once hydration is established then they are weighed and a body fat test is run. My understanding is that hydrostatic weighing, a Tanita scale, skin fold calipers or I think one other method that escapes me right now. Based on that body fat percentage, they will figure the athletes weight at 7% and that will be the lowest weight they can wrestle. My understanding is that there is a .4 leeway. For example if an athlete's calculated lowest weight is 112.4 he could wrestle 112 but if it is 112.5 he would have to move up to 119.

What about the athlete that comes in less than 7%? I believe you have to have a doctors note saying that you are in good health and can wrestle.

The wrestlers can only lose 1.5% of their body weight per week and have to make scratch weight at least once by January 20th I think. As far as I know, the whole certification fiasco is out the window being replaced by this system. I believe you have to be tested prior to wrestling competetively also.

I'm sure I'm missed something or got something wrong so if you know different help us out.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Red Rocker,

-----------------
Photobucket

"A PEOPLE THAT VALUES ITS PRIVILEGES OVER ITS PRINCIPLES, SOON LOSES BOTH"

EISENHOWER

World Champion
Picture of HB
This will kill teams that have wrestlers bunched up around the same weights.

also wrestlers who put on some weight for football.

"It's in the bag coach, it's in the bag."
Junior High
Picture of Cyclone
The 1st year is going to be crazy but this will be better for the sport.
Junior Varsity
Picture of SlvrHwk
I read through the draft yesterday, and it doesn't look like it will be too bad. If I understand correctly, the checks will take place only once during the season, correct?

It should also be noted that all wrestlers' results will be entered into a database, and each coach will be responsible for obtaining their sheets, which says what they can weigh during certain points of the season (taking into account body fat, the 1.5% loss per week, etc.). We've used the program before, and it's pretty slick. If the coach can't produce those sheets at the weigh-ins, the kid doesn't wrestle.

I feel for smaller schools who may not have a trainer. If this is the case, they are responsible for finding somebody. There is a list of eligible persons (certified trainers, physicians, nurses, etc.) who can become assessors. They must take a training class, and are responsible for paying to take the class, and also for the $30 fee to become a member of the NWCA, which allows them to log on to the website and enter the body fat information which will then generate the sheets for allowable weight loss.

What I would propose is that at each weigh in, the coach gives the officials the sheets from the database, and it would say right there if the kid can be at the weight he's weighing in at. It would alleviate any confusion or a kid being at an inappropriate weight.

I know that the vast majority of folks will follow these rules. However, you can bet that everywhere we go, I'll be asking for those sheets to be made available. I think we as head coaches owe it to our kids to hold each other accountable, which hopefully won't be a problem.
State Qualifier
quote:
Originally posted by HB:
This will kill teams that have wrestlers bunched up around the same weights.

Better to kill the teams that have wrestlers bunched than to kill the wrestlers who are bunched.
NCAA Champion
Slvrhwk,

So in other words....if a school has a trainer that is qualified to administer the tests, then he or she tests their own kids and then reports to the data base?

Sorry to sound skeptical, but I don't like the sound of it. The class C and D schools will have to pay out of pocket for their testing by a non-school employee.

The big part of this test is the hydration. We know most kids are going to try and be close to their weights before testing.

An unbias determination is needed for all schools....plain and simple.
Rookie
I'm pretty sure that all trainers will charge a fee for the tests also you can get the hydration tests relatively cheap would recommend trying it before the season. ALso believe the date of tests are from Nov 6 to Nov 13. THe nsaa has said these tests can be paid for by booster clubs,wrestling clubs, or some individual in the community without any penalties if funds aren't available through the school. Looks like a good program, I think everyone has first year jitters. Also NSAA siad the testor has to be someone from outside of your schools wrestling program.
Junior Varsity
Picture of SlvrHwk
525:

One would hope that the trainers doing the tests would be ethically up to par and not try to determine how the tests come out. It should also be noted (I believe this is correct) that no coach is to be present when the tests are done.

The NSAA is to supply all testing materials. The assessor is the only one who needs to pay a fee to become certified (don't know how much that is) plus $30 to get a login to the NWCA website to input caliper information, weight, height, etc.

ringneck--
I don't think there is an end date for the tests, it's just that the earliest a test will count is the 6th. If you have a kid come out for wrestling later, or a transfer, he can still wrestle as long as he is tested, no matter what the date, as long as it's after the 6th. The disadvantage this kis has is fewer weeks to get down to the lowest possible weight.

That's how I understood the draft copy, anyway--I didn't see anything mentioning a deadline.
Junior High
Picture of bluehawk
Could someone tell me where I can get a copy of the weight managemnt program, and a list of those people who are certified to administer the test.

Thanks in advance.

Coach Brand
Varsity Letterman
Picture of GO4ZPIN
We may have at least two opens because of this program , both one match from State last year . There are just too many at the same weight with no where to go .

Testing should be independent from the schools contracted by NSAA then billed back to the school system .

Some will follow the rules some won't Frown

What are the schools you potstir trust

The state of Nebraska is won on your feet .
James Berger

Those are all part of the problem with this whole thing G4Z. Another is that many kids will start cutting now to get down and be able to be hydrated when they go in for the test. Remember that if they aren't hydrated they have to wait 2 more days. Imagine the football coaches that want the heavier (read fatter and more blubber in most cases) kids pitching a fit when the first part of October some of that fat starts coming off these kids so they can wrestle where they want/need to.

It is basically a PR stunt to try to show the general public that the National Federation is doing something.

I understand that at least one coach asked the presenter at the Coaches Clinic if they were going to test Cross Country athletes too and if they were under 7% they wouldn't be able to compete either.

Think about it.

-----------------
Photobucket

"A PEOPLE THAT VALUES ITS PRIVILEGES OVER ITS PRINCIPLES, SOON LOSES BOTH"

EISENHOWER
Rookie
Picture of kraut
bluehawk-

I just happened to look in my mailbox at school, and the draft was in there, so I assume my AD put it there--ask that person.

A list if those eligible to become assessors is included in the draft. If you have a certified athletic trainer, or a physician you know, that person can become an assessor and give the tests to your kids. When and how much the training programs are, I don't know. I think these people need to contact Boysen to find that information out.
Junior High
Frank Ryan: The most profound statement uttered on these wires was yours on this topic.
Rookie
So if one is interested in possibly becoming a testor where/who do they need to contact?

If you don't invest very much, then defeat doesn't hurt you very much and winning is not very excitingy-dick vermell
Rookie
Picture of Big Pounder
I don't understand why if this is a NSAA sanctioned rule, why exactly we must find an assesor who then has to pay to become a member of the NWCA, you would think they would just have a link on part of the NSAA site. Just a question/concern.

Walk the Line.
Novice
Where can you get a hydration test kit so I can have a trial run before the season starts?
Novice
quote:
Originally posted by Big Whitey:
also wrestlers who put on some weight for football.

Yet they bump up the HWT to 285 for that reason...