Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    when are the body fat checks
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
when are the body fat checks Login/Join

Novice
Picture of Red Dawg
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
7% for males and 12% for females?

Is there a lawsuit coming, or has someone finally figured out that males and females are different?

When a boy wrestles a girl does he have to spot her 5 points to compensate for the BFI?

Sorry if I am beating a dead horse!
I will always disagree with boys and girls wrestling each other!
Junior High
I don't know, bdoggy, but I think this is what they mean.
If I weigh 123 adn am under 7% i would have to wrestle 130.
I would need a dr's note to wrestle 125.

But, I am with you on the other question.
If I weigh 120 and am under 7%, I cannot under any circumstances go 119, I have to go 125.
That is the way that question was explained at the clinic.
Rookie
The way I see it, if a wrestler wants to go lower he can only go one weight class lower. Example: Kid weighs 139 at 6% body fat. Dr could permit wrestler to go to 135. Doesn't look to tough to me. I've been at this game a long time. Doesn't matter what is written there are always those who try to find a loophole to try and gain an advantage. Hard work and dedication will always triumph in the end.
Novice
Picture of lorilwayne
quote:
Originally posted by Red Dawg:
7% for males and 12% for females?
Is there a lawsuit coming, or has someone finally figured out that males and females are different?
When a boy wrestles a girl does he have to spot her 5 points to compensate for the BFI?
Sorry if I am beating a dead horse!
I will always disagree with boys and girls wrestling each other!

There has never been a doubt that females are differant than males. No lawsuit- they are just trying to keep the females at their healthy body fat percentage. I don't think there is spotting of points or anything like that going on here. My understanding is that this rule is simply to help keep wrestlers wrestling healthy regardless of sex.

As for the other issue- you are right it is a dead horse that isn't a topic belonging on the board. Until the NSAA allows for a female devision; which they have gone on record when this first became an issue saying when numbers got to above I believe 175 they would then revisit it, a female on the mat is a wrestler. Right, wrong or indifferant- that is the ruling. There are some topics that are best left listing in the agree to disagree category.
Junior High
oldcoach...i don't see anything wrong with what you are saying. 139, 4 pounds to 135. Easy.

But I don't see that there is anyway that the NSAA would allow that. You are already under 7% and going to cut weight. NO WAY.
Junior High
oldcoach I stand corrected!
I just emailed dboysen at nsaa and he confirmed what you said
123 @6% could wrestle 125
and could get a dr's note to wrestle 119.

Wow!
I don't believe it. I agree with go4zpin, i will just go to my doctor and say, I want to wrestle this weight, sign off on it please.
NCAA Champion
Well they had a chance to put some teeth to this thing and blew it. 1) letting all schools have their own assessors and testing their own kids. 2) Doctors note supersedes all prior testing.

I heard that there were supposed to be several wrestling coaches throughout the state on a committee that helped with the ideas that eventually got put into writing. Who are they?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 525,
Rookie
You doctor will only be able to sign off for the weight class below your weight at the Alpha weigh-in. Ex: You weigh 120 at 5% you could get doctor to sign off for 119. No way your going to be able to take this 120 lb kid to 112. I suppose you could have your kid suck weight to get to 118 and then be able to wrestler 112 but watch out for hydration. All in all if a wrestler is at his 7% weight and is able to eat, drink, and be merry and still be able to compete, I'm all for it. I see this rule helping the kid who works hard all year round. I believe it will keep the athlete who bulks up for football from sucking down 2 or 3 weight classes. On a side note: Interesting article in paper this week about the obesity of school age children in the US.
Rookie
looks like old coach is pretty sensible on the issue. I'm guessing most of the assessors have a lot of integrity throughout their profession and I'm sure they aren't going to let something like these tests bother them. I think McCann-Kearney,Davenport-Waverly,Boysen,Phil Pisale were on the committee. Looks like eveyone is worried about everyone elses assessor maybe they should worry about their own.
Varsity Letterman
Picture of GO4ZPIN
This is great for the wrestlers that don't play football .

Cut hard and work out like crazy four weeks before testing.

Hydrate 48 hours before testing test strip down to hydration level in the last 24 hours.

Have your Doctor sign off on the lowest posible weight class .

Wrestle that class after you get the 2lbs ,or just wait till districts make the weight once your set dude .

potstir

The state of Nebraska is won on your feet .
James Berger

Rookie
quote:
Originally posted by GO4ZPIN:
This is great for the wrestlers that don't play football .

Cut hard and work out like crazy four weeks before testing.

Hydrate 48 hours before testing test strip down to hydration level in the last 24 hours.

Have your Doctor sign off on the lowest posible weight class .

Wrestle that class after you get the 2lbs ,or just wait till districts make the weight once your set dude .

potstir

Might want to read through the regulations again Randy. It isn't quite that simple.
Varsity Letterman
Picture of GO4ZPIN
Lots of loop holes !

The state of Nebraska is won on your feet .
James Berger

Rookie
As I said before there are those coaches who will look for loopholes. Obviously those coaches are unsure of their coaching ability and their wrestlers dedication to this great sport of wrestling. Best of luck to all the great coaches and kids we have in wrestling. See you in Omaha!!!!!!
Junior High
I agree it's not that simple, WWCIM.
There will be a time frame for weight loss, ie
I can't just get to weight when I want.
There will be sheets from teh formulator website that say what weight I can wrestle each week.

Now, I haven't read it all yet, but are there also stipulations as to how far up I can wrestle after I make the weight.

In the past, if I was certified at 130, I could weigh in at 135 and wrestle 140, and not lose my 130 cert.
With this system, must I always weigh in at 130?
Rookie
GockeS,

Good question. Looking at p.6 of the final draft in the weight loss plan diagram it shows the projected weight and also the eligible weight classes. Always shows two weight classes. Looks to me like once you make 152 you can only wrestle 152 or 160.
Junior High
I understand old coach. He can wrestle a weight class up, but can he weigh in a weight class up?

I just read page 5 actually as well.
SEction VII Weight loss per week
part E says...if he weighs any week above what he is supposed to weigh...he must make a new weight descent plan...which may or may not affect his final weight...

ie if he has enough time, he can still get down to that final weight.

so if he is supposed to weight 151, ie 152 ( i think they said at the meeting that they are not going to go by the actual weight, but the weight class) let me start over
if he is supposed to be 152 but is over, say 153, then the coach has to go put the info back in the website and come up with a new plan.

If he still has time by the 1.5% per week, he could still possibly get down to the original final weight.

Is that right?
Rookie
In reading paragraph E of Section VII I would agree with you in that the wrestler could weigh in at a higher weight, enter that wt on the OPC to create a NEW alpha master form. This would allow a wrestler to compete and weigh in at a higher weight but still be able to get to his minimum if time allows. GockeS, sounds to me like you and I are on the same page. Hopefully all the other coaches as well as the NSAA are listening to us figure this thing out!!
Junior High
I emailed dboysen again and he said that my thoughts were correct on that.
I am probably driving him nuts right now.
Junior High
oldcoach
I hope we are on the right track.
I am not really worried about my wrestlers...they will be just fine.
I just want to make sure I have a handle on everything and all the proper paperwork, so I don't put the screws to one of my own guys because I messed up.
Rookie
I've emailed Darin a few times myself. I'm sure we're not the only two.