Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    State Sessions

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
State Sessions Login/Join

Rookie
Picture of 4theLoveoftheSport
posted   Report This Post  
Any thoughts about the new times/format for State? (10 mats pre-semis, new session times)

Also, perhaps it it simply because I didn't think about it before, but it seems to me that sessions move more quickly than they used to. I don't know if there are more falls than there used to be or if the sport has just moved toward a more fluid match format? Seems like there is a lesser determination to fight off getting pinned than I remember, but perhaps it's just in my head.

Does any of that sound remotely similar to anyone else's perception?

Just some ramblings as we head toward the end of another season.
World Champion
Picture of NWI
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
When I first heard of the 10-mat setup last fall, I was trying to figure out the justification for this. I talked with Jim Angele at the NSAA, and he gave me some details that make me LOVE this idea and hope it goes as planned.

The 10-mat setup means that some of the floor seats on the south side will be removed. The north side, where the wrestlers and coaches now sit, remains in place.

Each match will be pre-assigned a mat, and those will be noted in the programs so fans can follow their kids a lot better (which makes our job of trying to shoot photos easier, too). As they get to the end of the round, the heavies will probably be assigned to the first available mat to move things along.

The tournament has already moved along a lot faster, and now with 10 mats we should be screaming through each day. We also get an hour later start (9:30 instead of 8:30) so those grouchy coaches, meet officials and certain members of the working press get an extra hour of sleep each night (personally, by Saturday I am just a zombie, so I'm liking this later start idea more every day).

The thing I'm going to REALLY like is having the media table out on the floor, instead of having to run back and forth from the inner bowels of the building. The rows of seats that were covered on the west side are going to be removed, which allows for them to move the mats enough to make a media table put in place on the east side. That's going to help us media folk out a lot, as we'll be able to more closely monitor the action and be right there when our matches come up (and it'll give everybody a chance to be graced by Stu Pospisil's presence for all three days...which is REALLY important) Wink

It'll be interesting to see how the new layout plays, but if it goes the way it's planned, it should be a win-win for all involved.

"Energy Flows Where Attention Goes" -- James Arthur Ray
Junior High
love of sport
I agree...the tourney has moved much faster since moving to qwest. The first year I noticed we were done about a half hour early the first couple of sessions.
I contribute it to the fact that you can wrestle the edge more and have fewer breaks in the action.
At the bob, the mats were so close that officials stopped it to get away from the edge.

There may have been other changes...but I am not aware of them. The 10 mats will make it really quick.
Look for a change in schedule next year after they get the times down.
Rookie
what are the date/times. final ect.
Rookie