Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    How long can this go on?
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 11

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
How long can this go on? Login/Join

Hus
World Champion
Picture of TK
posted   Report This Post  
The playing field in Class B wrestling is simply not level. Will this ever get addressed or does open enrollment just continue to hand the advantage over to those geographically enhanced. Or, does anyone even care?

Rookie
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
The bad thing is the gap seems to wider every year. It's actually laughable that they have 8 finalists in a row. I would love to see someone challenge tham like Aurora did a few years ago.

Remember-CLONESRULE!!!

World Champion
Picture of HB
The NSAA doesn't care. They simply turn the other cheek.
Rookie
Even if they did look into it, what could they do?

World Champion
Picture of HB
I'd love to get the opportunity to sit down with the NSAA for a few hours and educate them on what they're doing wrong right now.
Rookie
Picture of 1mz-fe
quote:
Originally posted by Clonesrule:
Even if they did look into it, what could they do?

exactly, how are they going to shift teams next year? I heard columbus may drop to B? Any other teams moving around?
World Champion
Picture of NWI
HB...Is it possible to educate the educators???

"Energy Flows Where Attention Goes" -- James Arthur Ray
Junior Varsity
I am not sure what you can do even if you moved Skutt to A they would of won by a large margin. Do you move Skutt to A in just one sport? HB the NSAA could care less about wrestling period. It may be more unfair that BT brings wrestlers in each year that seem to not have to follow the same eligibility rules as everyone else.

Hus
World Champion
Picture of TK
10 in a row will turn into 11 and easily many more if this inequity is not addressed somehow. After first few, the rest are tainted by the situation. Its not the fault of those schools, in fact its to their credit for taking advantage. For the schools mentioned it is a wonderful situation, for the individual wrestlers there and their families it is wonderful, for the rest of Class B it is simply unfair.

Rookie
But aren't Ralston and So. Sioux City Class B in all sports beside wrestling. It's been done before.

Remember-CLONESRULE!!!

World Champion
Picture of HB
Whether Skutt would dominate in Class A has never been the issue. The issue is should a school with unlimited resources, a year round practice facility and the ability to draw from a huge pool of wrestlers, be competing against schools they're currently competing against?
Junior Varsity
I am not sure how to fix this so called problem but I do know that when Skutt started their program everyone wanted them on their schedule for some easy wins. RJ and Brad worked their tales off to get that program where it is now. Skutt HS has to over come all the crap that probably every wrestling coach in the state has to over come being the ugly sister of their school's sports. I remember when they had to work out on the stage and have to move their practices around because of play practice? RJ and Brad worked hard to get the support of parents to convince the ADMINISTRATION to let them build a wrestling facility if they raised the money plus did the work actual WORK in building the facility. So now what is Skutt suppose to do now that they have built this monster? As far as Ralston/SSC being in class A I think it is because of the size of their school that is why they are in A? Just currious was all this talk around when Gross was domianting the state for three years?
Novice
Picture of phatjo23
This issue is not about Skutt whatsoever. People in the power that don't want class B to change, us the saying that "we just want this to get Skutt out" as an arguement not to look into a change. I don't think us as coaches are looking at this as a Skutt deal at all. We are looking at this as an enrollment issue and what is right. I hope for the sake of the wrestlers and the schools that are at a disadvantage enrollment wise that the NSAA finally sees that something needs to be done in Class B.
Rookie
I am by far no expert at the sprot of wrestling. Even I can easily spot the difference in playing field between Scutt and the other B schools. Clearly Scutt has some awesome talent on their team and I would never say otherwise, but is it fair to put a school like Scutt in class B? Nope. Not fair at all. It kind of stinks to know each year who is going to win at state, long before the season even begins. Maybe it is time for NSAA to take a look at the facts and admit the error. Scutt would likely dominate in class A just like they do in class B, but at least the playing field would be a bit more even. JMHO.
Rookie
O.K. so Skutt is the very best Nebraska has to offer, Right. This year they go to The Clash and get whipped, Right. So, could it be a case of "a down year" for Nebraska wrestling. This may make some people upset, but I think it carries weight. I still think a pseudo 3 class system, like Iowa, would make team races tighter and individual titles harder to obtain. I noticed the finals were loaded with pins, which I don't remember ever seeing so many in past years. Maybe the talent level just isn't there this year. My opinion-don't get mad.

Remember-CLONESRULE!!!
Rookie
I dont know how things would have come out in the entire tournament but to say Skutt would have dominated in Class A is not true. If you look at the Class A state champions against Skutts line up Skutt might not have won a match!
Junior Varsity
They have a better team than MS so I figure they would of won by 30+ that is dominate to me.

Hus
World Champion
Picture of TK
well said Phatjo. In reality Skutt should given due credit for all thats gone into creating the school and the wrestling program. They've not done anything that others would not have done if feasibly possible. Skutt didn't create open enrollment and Skutt didn't set the enrollment numbers divisions or the number of schools per classification. They created a place where talented wrestlers want to go, give them credit for it. However, with open enrollment rules currently in place, the entire metro area and therefore literally thousands of students and athletes are accessible, which is not the case for most all other schools in Class B.

World Champion
Picture of HB
TK you nailed it. I have already heard that a prominent small town, upper weight wrestler that lives within the 50 mile radius of Skutt will probably be attending there next year. They didn't recruit him-rather he's looking to take advantage of the opportunity at Skutt.
Novice
Picture of SD Husker
How many total schools in Nebraska have an open enrollment status? I know Skutt and Boys Town. Probably Gross since they are a Catholic school, but who else? If there are enough, why not make a division for open enrollment schools. They can recruit, have fewer restrictions, and are all from larger towns where the talent pool is arguably deeper! Just a thought, I don't know specifics, so I have no idea if this could work.

"Pain is Temporary...Pride is Forever"