New
Find
Notify
Tools
Weather Login/Join

Junior High
Picture of Vader
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
There is a Winter Storm Watch for Friday. 5-10 inches. Not looking good.
Varsity Letterman
Picture of LCmatgurl
MSN does not support status - click here for the profile.
Moving this to a one day tournament could possibly cause some kids to have to forfeit for 3rd right?

One Team, Can't Be Beat, Won't Be Beat. 2/21/09
Junior High
If it is like years past they will throw out the 5 match limit rule. I believe this happened back in 2001 and in the late 90s. Can't remember that far back for sure.
NCAA All American
Picture of chiefMTstorm
In 2001 some districts had to do the 'wait and see', where if you were beat in the first round your fate rested in the hands of the one who beat you. If he won, you were in the tournament; if he lost you were done.

When did this get changed at the state tourney? 1985?

Some districts wrestled it all in one day even though Colgate told them that they couldn't. One match was held after midnight on saturday to appease the 5 match limit per day.......funny stuff!

Rick Henry

State Qualifier
quote:
Originally posted by LCmatgurl:
Moving this to a one day tournament could possibly cause some kids to have to forfeit for 3rd right?

Worse than having to forfeit third. It could mean somebody forfeits the right to qualify for state if NSAA does what they did last time. Districts were cut to one day and wrestlers who lost in the first round did not get to wrestle back in the consolations unless the wrestlers who beat them in the first round won in the second round. At that time, and several times since, I urged coaches to contact NSAA and ask for a different storm plan. I proposed that all wrestlers be able to participate in consolation wrestle backs. If the third place match would have been the sixth match for someone then go to criteria as follows:

ALL CRITERIA IN THIS DISTRICT TOURNAMENT

Head to head
I don't remember the exact criteria and it would take me a week to find it but it was something like this:
Mosts pins, forfeits, disqualifications
Most tech falls
Most major decisions
Most near fall points
Fewest penalty points against
Fewest stalling warnings against
Most takedowns
Most reversals
Most escapes
Which mother baked the best chocolate chip cookies

If none of these criteria decide a winner spit the team points, give each wrestler a third place medal, and flip a coin to decide which wrestler will be placed in the state tournament brackets as the third place winner and the fourth place winner. Let's get the 4 best kids to state even if they aren't placed on the right bracket lines.

I emailed that post to Darin Boysen last fall but haven't heard from him. A few emails from coaches could jog his memory. I attended the Valley district that year and he was there with his North Bend team. I don't remember having anyone denied the right to wrestle back, but it could happen.

In the RESULTS section I see a lot of times that someone has to forfeit third place because of having wrestled five times that day. I suggest that you tournament directors adopt something like this. It would be a shame if the team title was decided on a forfeit that was unavoidable. It would also be a shame if that forfeit entered into district seeding.
Junior High
Picture of Vader
quote:
It would also be a shame if that forfeit entered into district seeding.

It cannot figure into the seeding meeting outside of winning percentage for the wrestler who receives the win. The wrestler who has to forfeit is not charged with a loss in that scenario. I just had an email conversation with Darin this morning about this.
Rookie
Why not bus the out-of-town schools the night before and they can stay with host families?
Varsity Letterman
Picture of Twdinger
NWI, I remember 2001 Districts, senior year. We did the 2 day tourney, but there were thoughts of having fans and wrestlers sleeping in the gyms. I think what happened was they cut 1st round wrestle backs until Saturday and just wrestled 1st round and quarter-finals, which makes a long day for Saturday.

Ever hear of the coach that couldn't coach his wrestler out of a wet paper bag; I was coaching the wet paper bag.
Varsity Letterman
Picture of Twdinger
A little Jingle I wrote quickly to get everyone in the District mood...

I’m Dreaming of a White Districts

I’m dreaming of a white districts
Which day will we wrestle, we do not know
Where mopped mats glisten
And wrestlers listen
To hear whistles that will blow

I’m dreaming of a white districts
With every Huskermat post I write
Will the meet start Friday, that night?
And will state wrestling too be white?

Ever hear of the coach that couldn't coach his wrestler out of a wet paper bag; I was coaching the wet paper bag.
World Champion
Picture of NWI
HILARIOUS!!!!

"Energy Flows Where Attention Goes" -- James Arthur Ray
Varsity Letterman
Picture of Bulldog
quote:
Originally posted by chiefstorm:
In 2001 some districts had to do the 'wait and see', where if you were beat in the first round your fate rested in the hands of the one who beat you. If he won, you were in the tournament; if he lost you were done.

When did this get changed at the state tourney? 1985?

Some districts wrestled it all in one day even though Colgate told them that they couldn't. One match was held after midnight on saturday to appease the 5 match limit per day.......funny stuff!

Sorry Chief but it was still in effect in 1989, that's right we have been out 20 years.
NCAA All American
Picture of chiefMTstorm
Thanks for the reminder.......... Good Luck at districts and state!

Rick Henry

PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFTTT

Young pups...

Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

-----------------
Photobucket

"A PEOPLE THAT VALUES ITS PRIVILEGES OVER ITS PRINCIPLES, SOON LOSES BOTH"

EISENHOWER
State Qualifier
Postwar babies.
Rookie
Who makes the call if a district is postponed or not? What if a district is not postponed, but a team or two cannot make it?

quote:
Originally posted by cowcatcher:
Who makes the call if a district is postponed or not? What if a district is not postponed, but a team or two cannot make it?

From the NSAA Handbook.

quote:
Inclement Weather
1. Snowstorms or other inclement weather conditions may force the postponement of a district tournament.
2. The tournament director has the authority for the postponement and rescheduling of such tournament. Such postponements must be cleared through the NSAA office
3. In determining whether to postpone or to hold the tournament as scheduled, the director should consider the following factors:
a. The weather and road conditions at the site of the tournament.
b. Existing weather and road conditions at the location of the schools which are to compete that day.
c. Road conditions between tournament site and the competing schools.
d. The weather conditions immediately prior to, during, and following the contest as reported by the weather bureau.
4. If after considering the various factors, the tournament director determines that competition is to go on as scheduled, all schools shall be notified early enough so as to allow each team sufficient time to travel to the contest site.
5. Once the decision has been made to hold the event as scheduled and any team has begun to travel, the tournament shall be held.
6. If the tournament director feels a postponement is necessary, he/she shall get permission from the NSAA Executive Director before postponing the day's activities.
7. Once the meet or tournament has been postponed, the district director shall be responsible for setting the new time, date, and site, if necessary, for the continuation of the meet or tournament. This new time, date, and site must be cleared through the NSAA office.
8. The previously agreed upon schedule may be changed so as to have the tournament completed by the required dates.
9. Neither tournament receipts nor funds from the NSAA are to be used to reimburse any school for additional expenses incurred because of a postponed tournament.

-----------------
Photobucket

"A PEOPLE THAT VALUES ITS PRIVILEGES OVER ITS PRINCIPLES, SOON LOSES BOTH"

EISENHOWER
Rookie
So say the director decides to hold the tournament letting every school know at 8:00 AM. If school A gets canceled at 6:00 am that morning, and there are guidelines by the school that say extra curriculars are not allowed on a snow day which would not allow the team to travel. Would School A just not be allowed to participate at districts?
Rookie
A number of years ago, I thought before the 2001 cluster, we were assigned to Districts in Malcolm (when I was coaching at Franklin),a pretty good stones throw away. We were the only school that would not have been able to make it because of a blizzard out "west". We had to call Rex Jones at the NSAA office and plead our case that we could not travel with the present weather conditions. Lucky for us, the NSAA "told" them to postpone to a one day district. I think that they would have had the tournament without us if Rex hadn't got involved.

Coach Meyer
Varsity Letterman
Picture of LCmatgurl
MSN does not support status - click here for the profile.
it's now a 100% chance of snow in Grand Island. 5-10 inches.

One Team, Can't Be Beat, Won't Be Beat. 2/21/09
Junior Varsity
Picture of rmh
Our adminstration has decided to send our wrestlers to Gordon tonight to beat the storm.